close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 Problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Lawgiver, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Lawgiver

Lawgiver

I have a Glock 21 that works fine (most of the time) the problem that I have is that when I shoot the slide will sometimes remain in the rear (open) position for as long a second and then go back into battery. The gun always loads a round and ejects the old spent case. It just seems to hang up. I had a Glock armour look at it when I was at a GSSF shoot and he suggested just sending the gun into Glock and having everything replaced. My question is could it be the captured recoil spring. Should I replace that? The gun is old Serial # ACE00XX. Thanks for your time;P

2. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

I'm kind of curious why the armorer didn't just replace everything for you on the spot. But back to the question. How long has this been happening? Have you dropped the G21 at all? Only reason I ask is cause I remember seeing one where on the rear of the slide, where it rides the rails, got slightly bent inward and was causing problems.

It is possible I think for it to be the recoil guide rod. Is it the stock polymer rod? If so, is it all chewed up or is it still nice and smooth? I generally don't recommend it but might put a drop or two of oil on the guide rod and cycle the slide a few times.

Also, lightly lube all the areas as directed by Glock. And is it possible your thumb is riding the slide at all?

Other than that I'm really not too sure what else to try. Goodluck and hopefully someone else knows the right answer. ;I

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

You may also have a broken or worn out slide stop/catch lever… do you “thumb” your slide often?

You may also want to check your followers & mag springs. Just in case you have a mag or two not engaging the slide stop/catch lever good enough.

4. persuader

persuader

Assuming that the weapon is clean, I would replace the recoil spring assembly. If it's very old, that could be all it needs. One of my G22's started malfunctioning after approximately 20,000 rounds (and a whole lot of dry firing). I replaced the recoil spring assembly and haven't had a problem since. As a matter of fact, I could feel the difference in resisitance when I hand-cycled it. Best of all, Glock springs are super cheap. If your gun is that old, it deserves a tune up.

Good Luck

5. Lawgiver

Lawgiver

The pistol is clean, I don't thumb the slide and it seems to do it with all of my mags. I think I'm going to try a new spring..Thanks;P

6. Glockster_James

Have you tried making sure the gun is empty, dry fire and hold the trigger back all they way still, point it upward and rack the slide but slowly let it forward and let it take itself back into battery the last little bit on its own? Just curious. ;I

7. Lawgiver

Lawgiver

James

I think that simulated the condition!!!Whats wrong. I tried it with my 35 and it didn't feel like it was hanging up..Thanks for the help how do I fix it.;f

8. Glockster_James

Okay, if it hesitates or fails to go completely back into battery with that test, then its time for a new recoil spring. So once you replace the spring, all should be good. ;f And the more I think about it, persuader is right. As old as it is, wouldn't hurt to call up Glockmeister and get a kit and replace all the springs and stuff in the gun. But thats up to you. But yeah, definately a new spring to resolve the going into battery issue. Best of luck. ;I