close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 or M&P .45??

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by SafetyGuy83, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SafetyGuy83

SafetyGuy83

I am looking into getting a fullsize .45. I currently have a Kimber 1911 and in the past owned an XD in .45. I did not particularly care for the XD. I have narrowed my choices to between the Glock and the M&P but cannot decide which one to go with. Just curious what the GT take on the two pistols was and which one you fine folks would go with. :wavey:

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Which ever you find that fits your hand the best. I've only shot the M&P .45 so I can't really comment on the Glock.

3. SafetyGuy83

SafetyGuy83

Yeah I guess it really always comes down to that. Just curious if anyone had any insight into the M&P. I have fired both and I really liked both. Hence my dilema... Was hoping someone could push me one way or the other. I am kind if in the fence.

4. curriek

curriek

Had 21SF and a M&P45. Favored the M&P b/c of the grip. 13+1 rds of 45 ACP is nice, but doesn't do much good if it doesn't fit your hand.

5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

What grip fits you?
    M&P for my hands.
    :supergrin:

6. simmy952

simmy952

Had an M&P .40 full size. Love the grip because of the interchangeable backs. I have smaller hands and it is easy to grip. Sold only becuase of concealment issues. Was hard to hide the fullsize. Very reliable. My vote would be the M&P.

I really would like to see a fullsize M&P 10mm. :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  7. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I don't think the M&P could handle 10mm.

8. Kona2004

Kona2004

I have three Glocks (19, 23, 30SF) and two M&P's (9 & 45). I carry the G30SF but the M&P45 is my favorite to shoot. I also considered the G21 when I bought my M&P45 but figured since I already a Glock in 45ACP I'd try something different.

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

I had a 21 and sold it and bought a M&P 45fs. I shoot it much better (because of the grip). I put the Apex sear in it and the trigger is much better ( lighter and smoother).

10. tx787

tx787

The Glock has been around for a lot longer (1982 vs 2005) so it's more proven over time, otherwise it should just be a question of personal preference/fit. The short framed G21 is probably a better bet, a G21SF, RTF2 if you can find one.

11. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

12. Girevik61

Girevik61

I have owned both, the Glock is Superior. (IMHO)

13. Seawolf

Seawolf

S&W hit a home run with the M&P. There are pros and cons to both the Glock and M&P so it all boils down to what YOU like not what someone else tells you to like, but IMO S&W really did a good job with the M&P series.
    I think if I had one complaint about the M&P, and this is based on my experience with my Wife's 40compact, it's the trigger not being crisp enough out of the box. Glock has a great crisp break and reset on their stock trigger and the M&P has a solid break, but the reset is soft and easy to miss sometimes.
    The good news is it's easy to customize the M&P trigger to whatever you want, but it does require some 3rd party work to get there.
    As far as reliability I think it's just as reliable as any Glock. We forget that these tools are man made and anything man made no matter how good the QC is will eventually fail at some point. Now would I like to get to 50k rounds before an extractor fails? yup or 100k would be better, but truth is you train for failures because they will happen whether you use a Glock or an M&P. I think when we look at reliability we look at it as a whole. Out of 100 guns if one fails to feed then thats not exactly a good ratio, but out of 10,000 guns if one fails to feed then that's pretty good odds.
    Good news for M&P owners is S&W has probably the best CS available. No questions asked and at no cost to you they will make it right every time. Add to that it's American made by an American owned company.

This is a Glock forum and I love Glocks as much as anyone, but props where they are due. I love the M&P just as much.

14. sig freak78

sig freak78

I personally like the trigger on the Glock.

15. Seawolf

Seawolf

I respectfully disagree. Isn't America AWSOME?! :thumbsup:

16. Girevik61

Girevik61

America is Awesome, and I consider the M&P a Foul Ball.

17. Seawolf

Seawolf

lol mmmmm k.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Personal preference and experience with both models will likely help influence the decision.

I have a lot of experience with the Glock .45 models, but the plastic framed .45 I eventually decided to buy with my own money was a M&P 45.

I know a younger instructor who owns a G21SF. He's been practicing with it quite a bit. He also owns other Glocks in 9mm & .40 S&W.

He recently tried my M&P 45 FS for a day's range session and is ordering a Mid-size model of his own. I can say that he shoots the M&P 45 much more accurately, and more controllably ... and seemingly more easily ... than he does his G21SF.

I know another senior firearms instructor who is primarily a 1911 owner/user/trainer, but who has owned a G21 for some time and speaks favorably of it. He's got a M&P 45 on order as we speak.

Personally, find the M&P 45 to be a further step along in the evolution of plastic-framed guns, and I particularly like it when chambered in .45 ACP. My M&P 40c is nice enough for the caliber, and the 9mm version is a fine handling pistol ... but something about the M&P when it's chambered in .45 seems to make for a fine combination of platform and caliber. (Kind of how I like the Glock and 99 series chambered in 9mm better than when chambered in other calibers.) I'm planning to buy another M&P 45 in a smaller model, myself.

Try them both. See what suits your perceived needs, desires and preferences best.

Both are fine for their intended roles. The M&P 45 does offer some options and features which may, or may not, matter to you.

19. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I have the M&P in 9 and 40, but preferred the XD45 over the G21 and the M&P45. I guess whichever one fits your hand the best. You might take a good look at the FNP45, as it is a very good gun too. Don't know if it matters to you or not, but I like the capacity of the FNP and G21 over the M&P.

20. S. Kelly

S. Kelly

I love my G21SF and would recommend one to anybody-hands down. I also have a M&P45 and feel it's the best M&P made, the perfect blend of caliber and size. It's not a Glock, but to me it's second. Nice gun.