Glock Talk banner

Glock 21 magazines in Glock 30s

11K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  ADK_40GLKr 
#1 ·
Just a quick question. I'd like to shoot my 30S in both Major Sub and Heavy Metal. Can I use my Glock 21 magazines to shoot Heavy Metal with the 30S? I don't see this mentioned in the rule book. Assuming I can't use a magazine sleeve. Thanks

#8 ·
I shoot G17 magazines in my G26 and now that I have a G30, I have been buying G21 mags for the future when I get either a G21 or a G41. I use the G30 mags as Barney mags.

#9 ·
Since maximum is 10 what is the advantage, except not having to top off with a barney?

#11 ·
Even without a sleeve, the G21 mag gives you a little more to hold onto. The real reason I started doing this though is I got all my G21 mags cheap (mostly police trade-in mags for $10-$12 each) and have never seen such deals on G30 mags. If you're going to pre-load enough mags to shoot 3 stages*multiple divisions, the mag savings adds up.

#12 ·
Since maximum is 10 what is the advantage, except not having to top off with a barney?
I use them just to keep things straight.

I shoot my G30 for both Heavy Metal and MajorSub. For MS, I load the G30 magazines with 6 rounds. For HM, I load the G21 magazines with 10 rounds. This way I'm less likely to pick up a magazine with the wrong number of rounds in it.

Reactions: DSATL
#13 ·
If you shoot light reloads? Using the G21 mags you don’t have as much pressure pushing up onto the slide that could cause a problem. Its also a way to keep track if you are shooting HM and Maj sub. Also it is a lot easier to insert the mag into the gun without all that pressure since you will already have a round in the chamber

#15 ·
I use 10 round 30 mags for shooting the 30. The pinky extension I feel gives me a better grip than using a G21 mag. I have relatively small hands FWIW.
Till yesterday, I didn;t know there WAS such a thing as a 9 round G30 magazine, until my LGS tried to sell me 3. Definitely like the extension on the 30's, but mine are so new they make it hard to seat 10 + 1.

#20 ·
I had issues with my last G30 using 10+1.
I do have feed issues after the first shot when I load a full 10 round mag with one in the chamber. but I chalk that up to having tight new magazines.

#24 · (Edited)
OK 9mmdude. Gotcha! Misunderstood your reply at first. I'm just using the Extended G30 mags and they already seem to be cycling better with 10 + 1/ At first the full mag was so tight it would not let the slide cycle, but they seem to be working OK now. Using my Uplula, I jam down hard to insert that 10th round, and it's starting to leave a little wiggle room so the stripper can slide back over the top (10th) round.

#25 ·
There is another issue with the G30 10 round (maybe others too?) mags. If you pull the base plate off and look in the bottom of the mag you will sometimes see some extra plastic flashing where the metal liner and plastic body meetup. Cleaning this off with an Xacto or razor blade will make it easier to fully load the 10 rounds but make it easier to seat the mag as well as reduce any functioning issues.

Scott

#26 ·
"you will sometimes see some extra plastic flashing where the metal liner and plastic body meetup."

I've seen this with some .40's as well.

Reactions: PM720
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.