close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 Jamming Prob...Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by joelandsteph, Nov 30, 2002.

1. joelandsteph

joelandsteph

I have had my 21 for 4 years now and it has served me flawlessly. Until a few months ago. All of a sudden unfired rounds are ramming their nose into the top of the barrel inlet. A sort of stovepipe in the barrel mouth. I lock the slide back, push the round back into the mag and the gun functions normally. Here's the funny part. It only happens with the last two rounds. I have tried installing Wolf +5 mag springs and that did not help. I also tried brand new Glock 10 rounders and it still does it. I also installed a new Glock recoil rod and striker spring. Is there something in the lower receiver I should be looking at? Any suggestions, good, bad or indifferent? Thanks!!

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

This is only a wild guess, but your mag release button may be worn, causing your mags to seat just a tiny bit too low. The part is cheap and quickly replaced.

3. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Replace your magazine springs.

4. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

he just said he replaced the mag springs. Make sure your extracters are good.

5. joelandsteph

joelandsteph

Check this out. Take your slide off your glock so you just have the receiver. Put a mag in it, loaded or unloaded. Now check for play in the magwell by twisting the mag. My mags twist noticeably in the magwell. HOw much play is acceptable?

6. garys_2k

garys_2k Talk'n Glock

One of my 27's mags does that, the lips are out of whack, too wide at the front. I called Glock's service number to confirm, and they agreed that the mag lips are bent.

I still haven't sent it in to be replaced, my lazy arse.

EDIT: Just re-read your post, sorry, I see you've tried other magazines. I would check that release button, too.

7. PJ-

PJ-

I have a new GLOCK 21 that jams on the last two rounds some times as described above. I called GLOCK and they suggested I try a new magazine, so they sent a new mag that I have yet to try. My buddy also purchasd a new model 21C and experienced no problems at all with the same factory ammo. My other GLOCKs never acted this way...Any ideas? Ben at GLOCKMEISTER thinks that the problem is related to the magazine spring being to long which also accounts for the difficulty with incerting the 10th round.

Help

8. bigdawg916

bigdawg916

Since the adoption of some 25,000 G19's, the NYPD pistols have sometimes suffered what is being called a Phase Three malfunction. Basically according to NYPD sources, the jam occurs when a fired case is partially extracted but the case mouth is solidly lodged under the extractor with the mouth of the case firmly wedged against the barrel hood. This particular jam is not reducible via standard tap and rack methods to clear stoppages. Others at training facilities have noted similar occurances with G19's. There is a trailer on-site at the NYPD range apparently staffed with a Glock armorer making modifications to the NYPD pistols to combat the problem.

The entire article is in the Jan/Feb 2003 issue of American Handgunner on page 120.

;P

9. joelandsteph

joelandsteph

I will try that and let you guys know how I made out. Thanks for the help thus far!!

10. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I'm missing something, a 19 with a fail to eject problem versus a 21 with a fail to feed problem. I don't see the connection.

11. PJ-

PJ-

I don't understand the connection with the previous posting. My problem is exactly as described in the first posting. My G21 stovepipes on the last two unfired rounds. Any ideas ?

12. Fireglock

PJ - If it stove pipes with factory FMJ my first thought would be magazine lips. Since yours are new magazines that would almost mean a bad run of magazines. If it catching on the opening of the chamber then I have heard of that happening with aftermarket barrels when the chamber is not cleanly machined or polished. When you get to the last couple of rounds in the magazine the spring tension is lighter and the rounds can catch as they are picked up by the slide. The only feeding problems I personally have had related to an aftermarket barrel in my 35 and making my reloads just a little longer solved it. I don't have a 21 but I did just order one Monday. Do you have an armorer nearby that can look at your 21? I doubt this has helped, it a hard issue to diagnose without having the pistol in hand.

13. GMan30

GMan30

It did the exact same thing. Stovepipes on the last 2 unfired rounds. This is a brand new gun and it happened with both magazines using 230gr Blazer FMJ ammo. I fired 50 rounds total that day

It happened on the first time with each magazine and functioned OK on the next reload of the magazines and happened again on the last reload. What can be the problem;d

14. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

Call CCI, it might be the ammo. I had my 21 stovepipe 4 times, using 4 different magazines. I'm a big guy and don't limpwrist, and also had a military police shooter along with me that got one also. CCI tried blaming it on a combination of me/the gub/and other unknown circumstances which was basicalyl a cop out. They're sending me 150 rounds extra.

15. joelandsteph

joelandsteph

I ordered a new mag catch and catch spring. I am also going to try another new mag. If that does not help, I guess I will have to wait for the next Glock match to have an armorer look at it. I will let you know if the new parts and mag fixed it.

16. Fireglock

Where are you near? You might look at Glockmeisters site and find an armorer near you. If you aren't near San Antonio, Jacksonville or Orlando it's going to be a while before you see an armorer at a match.