Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently on my nightstand sits my EDC - Sig Sauer P365. Before that was my duty weapon, the Glock 22. Before that, was a shotgun, and I've probably had a rifle there before. I decided I didn't want to use my duty weapon as my home defense gun, and the Shotgun/Rifle was too difficult to manipulate around corners when clearing my small home.

Having that in mind, I decided I was pretty set on having a pistol as my home defense, and I've been looking at the Glock 21 as my choice for that. 13 + 1 in the chamber for a total of 14 .45ACP to throw down the hallway at my would-be attacker? Sign me up! But like anything else, it's an investment and I was wondering what everyone else's experiences are with their G21.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The 21 has been on my wishlist for awhile now. Finally picked one up last week. It's the softest shooting 45acp I have owned and more accurate than my g26 which is saying alot. I wear small gloves and the grip is still perfect. Buy it...you won't regret it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ty I have a Gen 3 21sf and a Gen 4 G21. I have put approx 6000 rounds through the G21sf. Neither pistol has ever malfunctioned. They are also extremely accurate. The recoil is more of a push than a snap. I shoot them better than any handgun I own. They are also my EDC. I like the grip texture of the gen 4. You can not go wrong with a G21.

·
bene vivere
2,147 Posts
My 21.4 with a TLR6 on my night stand protects our home.

FC1A5FF9-B9C8-4D7A-BE35-6F303BB08C6B.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it just you using this gun? I had a G21 and 30 that I loved but they were too thick for my wife.
She uses a Springfield XDS 3.3 9mm on her nightstand. She carries that and a S&W Bodyguard. I don't think she'd be interested in handling the G21.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
21.4 is my carry gun, nightstand gun, range gun, everything gun. i prefer to learn one gun.
I can respect that. I can change calibers with relative ease, but brands are what would throw me off. I would confidentially defend myself with a Glock over anything else just because of the familiarity I have with the platform. The reputation behind is a close second. I use the Sig Sauer because the 43X hadn't came out yet, and I really hate printing. I'm a smaller guy, so the P365 was the obvious choice for a long time.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,300 Posts
The KHP issued G21’s, for a long time. The only complaints I heard was from guys with smaller hands. The G21 is a fantastic platform.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,246 Posts
Currently on my nightstand sits my EDC - Sig Sauer P365. Before that was my duty weapon, the Glock 22. Before that, was a shotgun, and I've probably had a rifle there before. I decided I didn't want to use my duty weapon as my home defense gun, and the Shotgun/Rifle was too difficult to manipulate around corners when clearing my small home.

Having that in mind, I decided I was pretty set on having a pistol as my home defense, and I've been looking at the Glock 21 as my choice for that. 13 + 1 in the chamber for a total of 14 .45ACP to throw down the hallway at my would-be attacker? Sign me up! But like anything else, it's an investment and I was wondering what everyone else's experiences are with their G21.

Thanks in advance!
Our issued sidearm is the Gen 3 Glock 21. Some of our training pistols have over 300K rounds through them. So for a 45 pistol, it is top shelf.

I'll toss out a suggestion of a 365XL as a HD/night stand pistol. First, you're already familiar with the platform since you carry a 365. Secondly, there is some mag compatibility in the 12/15 round mags. Third, it comes with Xray night sights stock which makes good sense for a HD/night stand pistol. Lastly, in a HD situation you could use the 365XL and your wife could use the 365. Just tossing it out there for consideration.

·
19,067 Posts
I think the G21 is the best possible home defense pistol. The grip is a little large for some people but the Gen3 SF or Gen 4 is better. The 45 ACP is a low pressure round even in Plus+P configuration and has less muzzle blast in close quarters than 9mm or 40 and much less than 357 Sig or magnum. The G21 is also a very soft shooting pistol.

It's still loud but it's actually producing less sonic energy and even +P 230 grain ammo is subsonic.

Ranger T 230 grain Plus+P was tested by Lucky Gunner and was found to have an average of 14 inches of penetration with expansion of one inch. Federal HST 230 grain Plus+P is also good, but the ranger T has more expansion without sacrificing penetration.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I’ll just add to what everyone else has voiced,just get one. I have several and it’s by far my favorite Glock model. My sister in law is a small woman and she enjoyed shooting mine and it was her first time firing a gun.The regular 21 grip is on the larger side but a 21SF should work for most folks.

Reactions: mic214

·
Registered
10,661 Posts

Thanks in advance!
If I were going to use a Glock for home defense, a Glock 21 or 41 would be my choice.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I love mine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Consider also a G41
I second this. They have MOS and non-MOS versions. The 5.3” barrel gives you 1911+ velocities. I’d try how both the 21 and 41 feel in your hand. Also, if you find a Gen 3 21 and don’t have large hands you want to make sure you get the SF (short frame) version.

My experience has been the large frame Glocks seem to be more accurate than the small frames.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts