close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 Gen 4 Review

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sturmgewehre, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eynv1q_Ttb0"]Glock 21 Gen 4 - YouTube[/ame]

2. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I appreciate your candor, STG.

3. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I'm a fan of Glocks, I carry a G19 and own I don't know how many. The Gen 4 is the first generation that left me kind of "eh" about the "improvements". I'm glad I have this in the collection, but I still favor my G21SF despite its shortcomings.

4. TheGlockTalker

TheGlockTalker

I'm new to this forum.
    Excellent review.
    Thanks for all the work you do to get your videos out there.
    By the way isn't the hood on you car getting scratched up by now?

5. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

Yup, but it has more trail damage than damage from guns and gear laying on the hood. If you saw it up close you would think "this thing has seen better days". :supergrin:

It's my Jeep, it's a work vehicle. The pretty one sits under a cover in the garage. I don't need two garage queens!

6. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the review.

7. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Thanks for the review, but we can add you to the list of people who mistakenly call a SF model "slim frame," when it's really "short frame." Sorry to be a stickler, but the G36 is the only slim frame and this confuses new Glockers who then go and repeat the mistake elsewhere.

I also take issue with the statement that Glock simply "juryrigged the backstraps to the existing frame." Actually, the frame is all new, and shortened to almost the identical grip dimensions of the G21 SF. The backstraps are for those who prefer the grip size of the gen 3s or simply have huge hands. But Glock shortened the new grip (front to back), so it's NOT the same frame.

Oh, I do own a gen 4 G21 and have shot a gen 3 G21 so I am not just talking out of my rear end.

Also, almost everyone notices a difference in recoil with the new dual recoil spring. I noticed it instantly in your video then was shocked to say you saw no difference. It may not be huge, but it's there. Watch your video and you will see the muzzle flip is worse on your gen 3 G21SF. You also forgot to mention that a dual recoil spring last longer and the new gen 4 recoils springs have metal inserts, making it sturdier (old polymer guide rods are one of the few breakage possibilities).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Nice review! Thanks.:wavey:

9. Larry V

Larry V

My Gen 4 21 is the best Glock I own. I love both my Gen 3 21 SF's but the Gen 4 is superior

10. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

Everyone misspeaks and if you'll notice I point out the proper designation with a large text pop out in the video. I guess we can add you to the list of people that overlook the obvious. :supergrin:

I didn't say it was the same frame but I do stand by my assertion that Glock did it as a poorly executed gimmick to say "we have user replaceable back straps too." I've found few who actually think the design is innovative or even well executed. Sure , there are a few who like it but there were people who purchased Edsels and thought they were the cats meow too. :supergrin:

It's an opinion, one that's shared by many but not everyone.

11. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Sturmgewehre, very nicely done, and informative review. I get that you don't like most of the changes, other than the mag release. I will have admit, I'm not personally fond of the front cutout for the new guide rod being made thinner, with the larger opening. One thing you didn't touch on was the slide finish change. I have early gen finishes, and the later shinier finish. Can't believe this newest 4th Gen finish will compare to the higher gloss finish of the 3rd Gens!

12. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Another great review MAC.

I have multiple Glocks in both Gen3 and 4 and don't notice any difference in the recoil impulse either.

Agree 100% there. I never realized it until I made a few review videos myself.... and watched myself! :faint:Certainly a few "why did I do/say that" moments.

13. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I have at least one per video. Given the time it takes to shoot them, it's often times not possible to go back to the range to reshoot an entire segment to correct it, so I call it out in text where needed. Just one of those things we have to live with I suppose. :)

14. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I feel "meh" about the changes in the Gen 4. I don't dislike my Gen 4 21, but I do prefer my Gen 3 guns. This is likely to be my only Gen 4 Glock, I have no intention of replacing my Gen 3 work guns with the Gen 4's. They weren't broke to begin with so jacking with them seems a bit senseless to me... especially when the original design has decades of testing and it's what earned the Glock its reputation for reliability.

The finish is different but it really doesn't bother me so much.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Great review Sturm. :thumbsup:

16. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

I did see that. But most people are going to be paying attention to your hand movements and what you are saying more. Also, small text in the corner of the frame of a 360x240 embedded video is not obvious.

Sorry, but you did. You said "juryrigged it to the existing Glock 21," when in fact they redesigned the frame with a shorter grip length (front to back), new texture and improved mag release. They did NOT simply add backstraps to the gen3 frame design, which would have been stupid.

17. dondulah

dondulah

Another great video and appreciate the opinion, that is why we watch. Keep the opinions and videos coming, I think it helps out our community.

18. glockenturm

glockenturm

The G36 is a SLIMLINE...to be a stickler.

Message sent from Texas!

19. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Yes it is, which is why I didn't capitalize "slim frame" because I was simply describing it, not giving its name, which is simply "Glock 36." Its size classification by Glock is Subcompact Slimline. But saying it has a slim frame is both correct and a simply a description.

20. ILannoyed

ILannoyed

Agreed. Not a huge difference, but it is perceptible.

Great review anyway. I enjoy MACs videos very much.