Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Deo Vindice
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Likely getting a Gen2 G21 this weekend.

Just curious for anyone who owns one....how are they? Any issues?

I owned a Gen 3 before but traded it out....not because it was bad....just had something else I wanted at the moment.

Have just always been a fan of the 21 and especially any Gen 2 Glock.

The one I'm looking at is in excellent shape...darn near new. Uses the 90 degree extractor which I know can be "upgraded" "repaired" by Glock free of charge since it was a "recall" back somewhere around 93' or 94', so it can use the 15 degree style.

Anyone with the original extractor....any issues?

Other than the items mentioned....anything else I should look out for? Otherwise, it looks like a winner to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have one and it has a bazillion rounds through it with no problems. It's all stock. I really should detail strip and clean it. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a gen 2 g-21 with the 90° extractor. I haven't had any issues with mine.

If you do send it in for the "upgrade" please only send the slide in. Otherwise you'll likely get back a Gen 3 frame which would be a shame.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I have one from 1994 and its great. Way better than the Gen 3 . How would Glock "upgrade " the extractor on one from 90 degree to the other ? Would it be to just drop in a new extractor or would they have to replace or remill the slide ?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I have one from 1994 and its great. Way better than the Gen 3 . How would Glock "upgrade " the extractor on one from 90 degree to the other ? Would it be to just drop in a new extractor or would they have to replace or remill the slide ?
Remill the slide, but Glock Smyrna doesn't do that upgrade. I had a Gen 1 17 fully updated 2 years ago at Smyrna and that wasn't an option.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Remill the slide, but Glock Smyrna doesn't do that upgrade. I had a Gen 1 17 fully updated 2 years ago at Smyrna and that wasn't an option.
Ohhh that would suck to remill a nice old style Tenifer slide. I think if mine worked then I would just keep it as it was .

·
Deo Vindice
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info folks.

Yeah, that's been my only hesitation about buying it is that in the off chance the extractor were to break I'd have to send it in to Glock to have it "repaired." Would be nice if they still just offered the 90 degree extractors for the 21's but they just don't make them anymore. For other models yes...but not the 21.

The change was apparently made because some of the 21's specifically were having ejection issues related to the 90 degree extractor.

Likely though, the extractor should never be an issue, but if it is as another person said in the thread...I'd only send in the slide because I'd be afraid I wouldn't get my Gen 2 frame back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a gen 2 g-21 with the 90° extractor. I haven't had any issues with mine.

If you do send it in for the "upgrade" please only send the slide in. Otherwise you'll likely get back a Gen 3 frame which would be a shame.
They won't replace the frame with a gen 3 unless you agree to do so, which costs $100.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Yeah, that's been my only hesitation about buying it is that in the off chance the extractor were to break I'd have to send it in to Glock to have it "repaired." Would be nice if they still just offered the 90 degree extractors for the 21's but they just don't make them anymore. For other models yes...but not the 21.

The change was apparently made because some of the 21's specifically were having ejection issues related to the 90 degree extractor.

Likely though, the extractor should never be an issue, but if it is as another person said in the thread...I'd only send in the slide because I'd be afraid I wouldn't get my Gen 2 frame back.
Im pretty sure you can find extra 90 degree extractors around. Check some of the Glock parts supply places or places online that carry GLock parts.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
opps , I just ran into this when I looked at Glockparts.com

"SP05516

This is the extractor for the G-21 & G-30 models. If you have a .45 with a 90 degree ejection port it needs to be sent to Glock for an upgrade"

damn damn damn :crying:

·
Deo Vindice
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
opps , I just ran into this when I looked at Glockparts.com

"SP05516

This is the extractor for the G-21 & G-30 models. If you have a .45 with a 90 degree ejection port it needs to be sent to Glock for an upgrade"

damn damn damn :crying:
Yeah, that aspect sucks. But honestly, any decently made handgun treated properly should last most people's lifetime.

It's pretty unlikely most of us will experience an extractor breakage.

They do happen though and I would like the peace of mind knowing that I could just order a part rather than have to send it in for an "upgrade".....but it's a mint Gen 2 G21...I can't pass it up.

If I end up with an extractor problem, I'll cross that bride if I ever get to it.

·
Wyldesixx21
179 Posts
Likely getting a Gen2 G21 this weekend.

Just curious for anyone who owns one....how are they? Any issues?

I owned a Gen 3 before but traded it out....not because it was bad....just had something else I wanted at the moment.

Have just always been a fan of the 21 and especially any Gen 2 Glock.

The one I'm looking at is in excellent shape...darn near new. Uses the 90 degree extractor which I know can be "upgraded" "repaired" by Glock free of charge since it was a "recall" back somewhere around 93' or 94', so it can use the 15 degree style.

Anyone with the original extractor....any issues?

Other than the items mentioned....anything else I should look out for? Otherwise, it looks like a winner to me. Thanks.
I've had one for years and shot many rounds thru it no problems,actually own another gen 3 love both of them can't imagine not having one. Would definitely recommend you pick it up,never had en extracted issues with either

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just acquired a Gen2 G21 myself...

Prefix is ALD, apparently that is when they started coming with the 15 degree extractor...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I can't say for a fact, but have read here that you can put a 15 degree extractor in with the correct bushing and it will work just fine in our old gen 2 21s.

Cat

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

That update Glock did back in the 90's was not because something was wrong with the 21; it was to standardize parts/frames.

I have a early 19 and was looking into what brought about the change and it was because they added a third pin. And it was to standardize frames because .40 caliber needed it. The 9mm and .45 were fine with the original design AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Locust,

You can still buy 90 degree extractors for the 19, 17, 23 and maybe the 20 and 22, I haven't checked on the last two.

So how does not being able to get one for the 21 "standardize on parts"?

Cat

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Their purpose was to standardize parts. I found the info on this website. I suspect so frames would be more common using many of the same parts.....my best guess. But, the info I found is on this site.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts