Glock Talk banner

Glock 21 for hogs?

14305 Views 34 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  21Dad
I just wanted to get some opinions/ personal experiences on using a 45 for hunting hogs. I was thinking about using my G21. I use Gold Dot 230 gr's in the gun. Would this have enough penetration? Would there be a better round for this job? I was thinking that if the shot was kept to less than 15 yds or so and the hog was less than say 200lbs, then this would be fine.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
8,663 Posts
I would not recommend buckshot for a hog - deer okay.

Get out the Rem 870 or Mossy 500.

Slap on a 18" to 20" deer barrel.

Add some fiber optic rilfe sights.

And slap a few of these in the magazine tube:

200 ft lbs at 50 yards!

Just updating my Rem 870 hunting slug gun with Mossy Oak furniture and an Aimtech saddle mount and a 40mm red dot scope for 0-70 yard shots:

Scope mount similar to below:

Good for hogs or deer.

Going black-tail deer hunting around Oct 11th!!!!!!!!

Hate paying $5/lb for beef.

actually down here we have good results with buckshot. Most of the places I hunt at are non-centerfire rifles so we are restricted to shotgun and pistols & most hunters have SB shotguns and few use slugs.

Using 00 or 000buck and shooting at the head, typically give good to great results, massive blood for tracking and typically stops the hogs from getting to far in the brush.

I personally keep the remington 12 pellet 00B 12ga loads around when I go out for squirrel,dove, rabbit or **** for just in case a hog comes around the bend.

I personally have taken one medium size hog with the above load and one with hevishot ( much smaller size ) and in both case they didn't run to far and expired very quickly.

· Banned
2,823 Posts
i have taken 3 hogs in FL. one in my yard with 00, had to save a curious great dane.
another with 00 actually hunting, head shot stopped it pretty quick and also tried with pistols. i had a P99 .40 and dad had a 4" .357. it was not nearly as clean of a kill as i'd have liked. 3 rounds from the .40 and 2 from the .357. will definately step up to a .44mag before i go next time or stick to the 12g.

· Registered
269 Posts
Placement is more important than caliber...but get something big nuff to do what ever job you're tackling. I can say I took a pig, about 200 lbs, from 25 yrds with a 10mm. (S&W 1086). Entered Left side, took out Right shoulder & recovered bullet just under the skin. Pig ran about 60 yrds before dropping.

· Registered
20 Posts
Well, my brother claims to have shot a big sick hog in the head at close range with a Colt Commander .45 ACP trying to do a farmer friend a favor. He said the shot seemed to ricochet off the skull and barely fazed the hog.

· Registered
21 Posts
;)

One more thing to think about. With the 45acp and typical SD ( JHP ) you don't need all that expansion. The SD JHP in 45acp are designed for us humans and not for a grean mean machine , that ressemble a tank with 4 legs, long tails and ears ;)

yes, a few people claim to take hogs with 45acp but I haven't seen any that have done this with fair to good results.

Tx-outdoor some it's up quite right in calibers to use;

tx-outdoors.com - contact with domain owner | Epik.com

(Go halfway down )
I have had great results with underwood ammo. Both the 255gr hardcast at 45acp +p cruising at 925fps it'll punch through or the lighter and faster fmjfn. Underwood also has a 185gr jhp that I've used when a pig opportunity came up unexpectedly, but the 185gr jhp is a +p from underwood at about 1200fps, works great on deer!!!

· Registered
98 Posts
I think a 45 could stop a feral hog,but it depends on the size of the hog and how close you're willing to play it. I'd like to try a 200 grain lead 45 ACP on one weighing about 130 lbs, from about 15 - 20 yards max, just for ballistic study. :)
Feral hogs can be very aggressive and a wounded hog is downright dangerous. You don't want to be in tight quarters with a wounded hog. I can promise you that. I've seen dogs get ripped up pretty bad messing with hogs.

I definitely would not use hollow points. Hollow points will probably get you mauled or chased up a tree when they don't penetrate deeply enough.
A 10 mm might do the trick, provided you shoot it well. Practice. Practice. Practice.
Again, you don't want a wounded 200 plus lb hog coming after you. Ideally, you want him to drop like he was struck by lightning.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts