Glock Talk banner

Glock 21 for hogs?

14306 Views 34 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  21Dad
I just wanted to get some opinions/ personal experiences on using a 45 for hunting hogs. I was thinking about using my G21. I use Gold Dot 230 gr's in the gun. Would this have enough penetration? Would there be a better round for this job? I was thinking that if the shot was kept to less than 15 yds or so and the hog was less than say 200lbs, then this would be fine.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Watcher.
41,318 Posts
I use a .41mag ta hunt hogs.1 shot and they drop.'08.

· Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Only one Glock - a Glock 20 with a 6" hunting barrel or a nice KKM barrel and some very hot ammo to get through their tough hides.

Maybe an upgrade to 45 Super in that G21 but it will need an aftermarket barrel for more velocity and a tighter chamber.

What does your state law require?

· Registered
8,663 Posts
Yup - Redhawk in 44 mag:cool:

44mag is what I would suggest also ;) or a 45colt with something heavier than 230grains and not a SD-HP.

( story )

First time out on a commerical hog hunt with my 10mm, one of the guys on my buggy hunted with a 45acp 5" Colt. Now I was already at the cleaning station and had my 150lb boar on the ropes and hoist.

We heard some faint cracks of shots, pow, pow , pow, pow , pow ,pow,.....

As I was loading my hog in it's cooler, the buggy showed up with another 150lb ish or so hog, it was shot over 5 times and hit just as many times. The skinner skin'd the hog and gave the hunter all of his bullets back. Only 1 or two actually broke skin, none EXPAND.

Using a 230gr Golddot traveling 800-900fps or less is not what I considered hog killing ammo. Hogs have thicker muscles ( than humans ), have shields that can be alone 1-2" thick in some places, thick hair, and then phantom in they don't just "flat" stop and roll over and die.

If you chose to use a 45acp glock and or any 45acp gun, research your anatomy of the hog, make you might be better off with something not a Golddot.

fwiw: The guy in my story above use GS-HP.

· In The Saddle
11,595 Posts
44mag is what I would suggest also ;) or a 45colt with something heavier than 230grains and not a SD-HP.

( story )

First time out on a commerical hog hunt with my 10mm, one of the guys on my buggy hunted with a 45acp 5" Colt. Now I was already at the cleaning station and had my 150lb boar on the ropes and hoist.

We heard some faint cracks of shots, pow, pow , pow, pow , pow ,pow,.....

As I was loading my hog in it's cooler, the buggy showed up with another 150lb ish or so hog, it was shot over 5 times and hit just as many times. The skinner skin'd the hog and gave the hunter all of his bullets back. Only 1 or two actually broke skin, none EXPAND.

Using a 230gr Golddot traveling 800-900fps or less is not what I considered hog killing ammo. Hogs have thicker muscles ( than humans ), have shields that can be alone 1-2" thick in some places, thick hair, and then phantom in they don't just "flat" stop and roll over and die.

If you chose to use a 45acp glock and or any 45acp gun, research your anatomy of the hog, make you might be better off with something not a Golddot.

fwiw: The guy in my story above use GS-HP.

I knew you would come through........
Good advice. I agree with ya my friend. ;)

CM

· Registered
8,663 Posts
;)

One more thing to think about. With the 45acp and typical SD ( JHP ) you don't need all that expansion. The SD JHP in 45acp are designed for us humans and not for a grean mean machine , that ressemble a tank with 4 legs, long tails and ears ;)

yes, a few people claim to take hogs with 45acp but I haven't seen any that have done this with fair to good results.

Tx-outdoor some it's up quite right in calibers to use;

http://www.tx-outdoors.com/wild_boar/active_content/display_content.asp?id=21

(Go halfway down )

· AASG
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, So it sounds like the consensus is I should at least get a Glock 20... That is good news, it's a great excuse to buy a new blaster! I was just curious to hear some stories about the 45 for hogs. I am moving to Florida in a few months, and I know that hog hunting is open year round down there. I’m real excited about it!!! I’m trying to figure out what all I need for the move. I guess a 20 or a S&W 29 is in the cards then.

· Registered
8,663 Posts
Ok, So it sounds like the consensus is I should at least get a Glock 20... That is good news, it's a great excuse to buy a new blaster! I was just curious to hear some stories about the 45 for hogs. I am moving to Florida in a few months, and I know that hog hunting is open year round down there. I’m real excited about it!!! I’m trying to figure out what all I need for the move. I guess a 20 or a S&W 29 is in the cards then.
fwiw either a Glock20 is not a sure winner on bigger hogs ;) But it would be a better alternative than a 45auto.

just more food for thought.

· TX Open Carrier
666 Posts
Better be a good shot. I killed a wild pig with a 9mm hydrashock went in one side of the head and out the other. This was when I was about 12 and didnt know any better. I choose a little bigger calibers nowdays. Can it be done? yes. Is it the wisest thing to do? No.

· TX Open Carrier
666 Posts
You could also get a 400 corbon barrel which would help a bunch.

· Watcher.
41,318 Posts
A BFR in .45/70.Or a/n SW.460/SW .500.'08.

I love a/n .45/70 ta put down large hogs.That or a 12ga slug gun.

· Premium Member
2,358 Posts
I would not recommend buckshot for a hog - deer okay.

Get out the Rem 870 or Mossy 500.

Slap on a 18" to 20" deer barrel.

Add some fiber optic rilfe sights.

And slap a few of these in the magazine tube:

200 ft lbs at 50 yards!

Just updating my Rem 870 hunting slug gun with Mossy Oak furniture and an Aimtech saddle mount and a 40mm red dot scope for 0-70 yard shots:

Scope mount similar to below:

Good for hogs or deer.

Going black-tail deer hunting around Oct 11th!!!!!!!!

Hate paying $5/lb for beef.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts