close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21, First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sulaco, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I got to shoot my 21 today. I bought it yesterday used. I am still not sure if it has the stock recoil spring/guide rod assembly, but other than that, it is bone stock with the 5 pound connector. It has the stock Glock plastic fixed sights and is a third generation without the loaded chamber indicator.

I shot about 50 rounds of Winchester white box (230gr. FMJ). The 100 round bulk pack from Wal-Mart. It sells for about 20 bucks.

I shot mostly 3 shot groups and some 6 and 9 shot groups. I shot targets at 7 and 15 yards. I kept nice, tight groups throughout the range session (nothing over 2 inch spreads, which is ok for me). I noticed only one malfunction. It was a last round failure to feed. It just sort of hung at an angle in the barrel. It reminded me a lot of how a 1911 will do something similar. It could have been the ammo, me, or that I have no clue when the last time the gun was cleaned.

I noticed the recoil was a bit stouter than my 1911's. Even my ultra light guns seem to have less felt recoil. I guess it could be me, but I could feel a definite difference.

Overall, I must say I am no less than impressed with the gun. The ergonomics are great (I have big hands), the recoil is no problem at all, the gun functions well and it is accurate. What more can I say?

I plan to carry it daily once I get about 400 or so rounds downrange. Whoever had it, did not shoot it hardly at all. I am sure it sat on a shelf in a gun safe for a few years.

2. gudel

gudel

i find the 1911s grip is a little too small for me, my pinky hits the bottom front of the magazine while the glock finger grip accomodates it just fine. the G21 fits me well. sorry for the other guys with little hands.
    i couldn't hit steel plates at 50 yards with the 1911s (colt and springfield), usp45, xd40 and others, but i was able to do that just fine with no effort at all my new glock 21 even my hands were shaking because shooter's fatigue (heh... i thought i was getting parkinson's disease :) ) recoil is softer compared to my 1911s though.

in short, i shoot better with my glock.

3. ceemack

ceemack

Gudel, I'm in the same boat...the 1911 is a nice design, but the grip is a little too short and a little too thin for me.

Sulaco, your experience on recoil is different from mine. Having had experience with the .45 ACP round in the 1911, I was a little surprised the first time I fired a G21...the felt recoil was about a third lighter. I've watched other people familiar with 1911's shoot a G21 for the first time, and they do the same thing I did: stop, look at the pistol, and wonder where the recoil was.

4. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I just found out that my recoil spring/guide rod is not stock. I am not sure who makes it or what weight it is. But, it may have an effect on the felt recoil. I am going to put a stock unit in pretty soon.

5. PikeB

PikeB

My Glock 21 is stock, and I found it to be much softer shooting than the Full-size Springfield 1911A1 that I had. The Glock 21 will definitely spoil you with regards to the .45 caliber. IMO

6. 21carry36

21carry36

I added night sights, a 3.5-pound connector and an extended slide release.