close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 Feed/ammo Problems

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bbort, Jun 18, 2002.

1. bbort

bbort

Just started shooting a new Glock 21 with reloads I used for my Para 1445. I get a lot of jams, with the edge of the case usually becoming damaged. The ammo is 200 gr. SWC loaded to an OAL of 1.235".
    Any idea on the cause? Is it ammo or gun? Any experience with best OAL for a Glock 21? ANy guidance would be appreciated.

bbort

2. Ivan05

Ivan05 Frozen Member

I think you'll find there are more people who have had problems with the 200 gr. SWC in the G21 than you can imagine. Its the design of the SWC that's the culprit. Some 1911 style .45's have trouble with this bullet too.

Try a search over in the reloading section. Very few people have had success with the 200 gr. SWC/G21 combo.

About the only thing you can try is to take your OAL out to about 1.255 or more.

PS: I don't have a G21. The 1.255 OAL is based on my experience with my Kimber and 200 gr. SWC's

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The problem is your ammo. My G21 likes 200-gr LSWC Lasercast bullets at 1.250 inches.

4. pasonbill

pasonbill Deceased

Just started shooting a new Glock 21 with reloads

The manual says you void the warrenty if you shoot reloads in a new glock.The price of ammo goes with learning how to shoot it right. Shoot the good stuff.

5. Ivan05

Ivan05 Frozen Member

There's nothing wrong with shooting reloads.

Standard legal disclaimer.

Reloading is cheaper in the long run, allowing you to shoot more ammo, more often. Practicing is what makes you "shoot right", not paying somebody's mark-up for ammo. More ammo, more often equals more practice.

The quality of reloaded ammo is as good, if not better, than most factory ammo. Reloading allows you to tune your ammo to you, your gun, and the application that you're using it for.

6. leedesert

leedesert Diss--Member

I'm not sure but I've seen the back end of the ejecting brass get hung on the lip of the next SWC round as both are passing each other. The G30 will do this all the time with SWC of anykind. The G21 may be better but picky as to length of round.

7. G-Mac-N-NC

G-Mac-N-NC

I had an FTF problem with my G-21 and reloads (commercially purchased - I don't reload). But only on the first round out of a fully loaded mag (10 rnd). The slide didn't come back far enough to catch that first round. Swithed to factory stuff and the problem dis-appeared. Tried a different reload supplier and got similar results along with some primers that wouldn't go off. Went back to factory and haven't had any more problems. Those new G-21 mags are really tight. A fully loaded one seems to put quite a drag on the bottom of the slide. I have actually seen the side of some cartridges deflect while chambering that top round manually.

8. Helds

Helds

I can't answer why some guns function with this bullet and others don't. Until I started reading these boards recently, I never knew you weren't supposed to shoot lead bullets in Glocks. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds of 200 grlswc's with 4.6 gr. Bullseye through my Glock 21 and have never had a failure to feed, fire, or eject. Also never had any leading. Clean it every few hundred rounds more out of guilt than necessity.

9. bbort

bbort

Thanks to all who gave some feedback.

I tried two different factory ammo brands and had no problems. I then finally set up my Dillon 650 to load some new 45's. Set it up to load 200 gr. SWC at 1.260 OAL and feed problem went away. Thanks DannyR and Ivan05

Looks like OAL is an issue and that 1.235" is too short for a Glock.

Ivan05, your absolutely right, all manufacturers will warn about reloads, but I'll stack my Dillon stuffed ammo against any factory ammo out there for target practice or competition. I've shot 38 super in IPSC for years and never had a problem. If all I did was shoot factory ammo, I'd have run out of money 3 months after I started shooting.

Again, thanks for the help.

P.S. the original ammo I used was loaded on a Lee Loadmaster.

10. Ivan05

Ivan05 Frozen Member

Glad you got it worked out.

Me too!

11. Steven Stilts

Steven Stilts

The problem with your G21 is this; The factory 10 round magazines are so tight that when fully loaded the last round spreads out the front of the mag. That's why you'll notice that when fully loaded the last round in the mag is a little high in front. This causes the edge of the round being ejected to hang on the shoulder of the SWC bullet. That's why most people notice that only the first round causes a problem, then after a while the first two rounds and so on. The front of the mag is opening up.

Pre-ban mags usually don't do this.

I solved the problem on mine by periodicly bending in the top right (as you're looking down at a mag with the bullet end facing away) until the last round rides level. After that it's clear sailing. You just have to keep an eye on it and when you see it spreading out bend it back as I mentioned. I shoot 200gr SWC's in mine in all the matches around here and since I tried that I haven't had a single jam.

The reason round nose don't do this is because they don't have the shoulder like the SWC's do. The edge of the round justs rides up over the bullet. Of course for carry it's always FMJRN for me and that's all I recommend.

I'm going to try taking a coil off the mag spring to see if that keeps the mag from being so tight.

Let me know how you come out.

Steve

12. Sigma40sw

Sigma40sw

All Glock 10 rd mags have the same problem of the tenth round being too tight. There needs to be some play for proper function.

What has worked for me is to remove the plastic retainer plate from the mag. I will allow the spring to drop lower and reduce the pressure on the 10th round.

The base plate stays on just fine with out the retainer.