Glock 21 FAIL TO FIRE

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by lietzey1, Jan 30, 2010.

1. lietzey1

lietzey1

Im a range instructor and a buddy on my shift has a G21. He has experienced several "light primer strikes" recently and has lost confidence in the 21. I fired the weapon today and experienced two fail to fire in a row. When looking at the brass it seems as the firing pin struck the primer off center. We use WinClean ammo. He also changed the stock firing pin to a titanium aftermarket along with a stainless guide rod, etc. Firing pin? Ammo? other aftermarket accessories? I have heard of recent problems with the 21. Any advice on how to fix. He also said he experienced the same with stock accessories...

2. Chronos

Chronos

A few years ago, Glock changed the trigger bar from 4256 to 4256-1 for this reason -- light primer strikes. I initially had an occational light strike on my G20 (uses the same part) purchased in '05. I switched to the -1 trigger bar and have not had a light strike since.

This may or may not be your problem (depending on the age of the Glock in question) but if it is the problem, the fix is simple.

3. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Reinstall the stock striker as well....a ti striker hits the primers with less force.

4. B Coyote

B Coyote

WinClean ammo could be the culprit, but I'd bet it's all the aftermarket parts.

bc

5. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Bingo.
    Why people change some of the stock parts is absolutely beyond me.
    Leave well enough alone ... and go back to the stock striker.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

1. Titanium strikers are competition parts and can cause light primer strikes.

2. Glocks do not like WinClean ammo

Suggest to your buddy that he should loose confidence in the titanium firing pin and Winclean ammo instead of his Glock.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

If the primer strikes are slightly off-center, that says the pistol had not returned fully to battery when the striker moved forward (speaking from experience, of course). The recoil spring should be replaced with a stock weight. Also, as was said above, go back to the stock striker and striker spring. Finally, double check that the firing pin channel is completely clean and dry and free from crud. Gunk tends to build up in there, if the operator does not detail-strip his or her pistol and wipe that area out.

8. Jowe Crow

Jowe Crow Corvidae Companion

This.

:wavey:

9. JonInWA

JonInWA

1. Replace the triggerbar with the improved 4256-1 triggerbar.

2. Replace the aftermarket striker with the stock Glock component.

3. Replace the aftermarket recoil spring guide/spring with a new Glock recoil spring
    assembly (preferably one with a "1" on the rear face of the flange, which signifies
    that it's the current, slightly stifffer, more durable recoil spring guide).

4. Proceed to range and test with at least 200 rounds of factory ammunition.

I strongly suspect that he will find that the problems will have disappeared.

Best, Jon

10. top glock

top glock

Because they jam, or Fail To Fire. Thats why. Since I bought a glock, I have spent more money trying to make this gun not jam, then any other accessory's I have bought for my beretta. Im wishing I would have kept old reliable.:crying:

11. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Because well enough isnt well enough for some people. Why do people put a different tire on their car than the manufacturer did? The original brand was good enough?

Some people like to tinker, some people want a better trigger, others are making a competition gun.

12. mteagle1

mteagle1

I don't know what Glock you have but I'll trade my Beretta 92FS Vertec straight up for your Glock, hell I'll even throw in all the trash magazines that jam more than they work. Send me a copy of your FFL's license and it'll be in FEDEX.

13. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:thumbsup:

14. vrex

vrex

Keep your Glock internals as stock as possible, any upgrade you will spend money on pales in comparison to the benefits you will receive from purchsed ammo and range practice, do this and you will get better as well as have a 100% functioning firearm.

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

Now I don't have to post anything else ... ;)

16. lietzey1

lietzey1

thanks for all the input.

17. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Going to lighter strikers certainly isn't going to help in a fail-to-fire situation, as the striker/FP impact on Glocks is already on the light side (compared to a 1911); decreasing fp mass by 50% with the stock striker spring will likely only make things worse.

Ti FP - "Faster lock time"..what a crock! :)

18. andyo5

andyo5

Titanium firing pins/strikers are useful only to speed up lock time after each shot. But since they are lighter, they have less momentum and can't hit the primer as hard. You could compensate with a weaker striker return spring, but that would undo the benefit of low mass. I doubt that your buddy actually needed a titanium striker in his Glock even if he thought he did. He should put the original parts back in before deciding that he has lost confidence in his Glock.
    Regarding the off center striker, he should check to see if the striker tunnel is mis-drilled in the slide (I doubt it is, but possible).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. fastbolt

fastbolt

I changed my mind ... ;)

Replace the recoil spring guide assembly with a new stock one and see if his slightly off-center pin hits are resolved.

If it's an older G21 he likely has a version of the trigger bar with a shorter cruciform, which would exacerbate the potential for 'light strikes' because of less compression on the firing pin spring.

Also check the engagement surfaces for the safety plunger and the firing pin. If there's more than a normal amount of chatter (peening), you might need to replace the firing pin, safety plunger and the older trigger bar (in order to get more lift on the plunger from the trigger bar's vertical extension in addition to more F/P spring compression).

While you're at it, check the locking block pin to make sure it's not broken.

20. top glock

top glock

I have never even seen a beretta jam. All the one's I had preformed flawlessly. I have the jamming G-22, If you had a .40 cal beretta. I would set this in motion. Gonna have to sell it, so I can buy a beretta.