Glock 20SF Slide scratch

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TactKnifeCCW, Jan 18, 2016.

1. TactKnifeCCW

TactKnifeCCW

I currently have a Glock 23 and 19 Gen 3.

I just purchased a new Glock 20SF from a national retail store. It was the last one they had and the display model. During the paperwork, I asked the salesperson if I could take the slide off and look under it. When I did, I noticed a 1.5 inch scratch on the left side of the stripper rail up under the slide. The salesperson stated that it was nothing and it came from the factory. I was hesitant but believed him.

I got home and looked at my other two Glocks. No scratches. I did realize that the scratch on the 20SF is on top of the trigger bar. Which made me wonder if the scratch occurred during the factory test shoot. I was also wondering since it was the display, if a previous customer may have caused it.

I've looked around online and haven't found any information on it.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? It's a brand new 20SF.

I found a picture online with a similar scratch. It's the thinner scratch.

[​IMG]

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

I think what you think is a scratch in this picture (which I assume is not yours) is a smear of the anti-seize compound new Glocks come lubed with.

If yours really does have a scratch along there, perhaps someone at some point field stripped it and then reassembled it with the trigger forward.

3. TactKnifeCCW

TactKnifeCCW

njl - That was one thought that had. Someone put the slide back on with the trigger forward. Thank you for the response!

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Putting the slide on with the trigger forward will cause an INCH AND HALF LONG scratch?

I've probably accidently done that from time to time, never noticed it harming anything.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

I wouldn't worry about it.

Bruce M likes this.
  6. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

No one will ever notice that scratch I promise!

Bruce M and ronin.45 like this.
  7. bac1023

bac1023

That wouldn't bother me. Its a Glock, after all, and its not even noticeable unless the gun is apart.

8. Chowser

Chowser

Have you tried cleaning it a little to see if it really is a scratch? How deep is it?
    I've taken screwdrivers and scissors to my slides and have been unable to scratch them.

9. arnoldstrong

arnoldstrong

Agree with the above I've dropped on concrete from 5 ft and no scratch....it takes some doing to scratch these, especially the newer ones

10. TactKnifeCCW

TactKnifeCCW

Thank you all for taking time and responding to my post!

I wasn't bothered by the scratch as blemish. I was more worried that what caused the scratch may cause an issue later when I really need the firearm to work.

I pick up the 20SF on Tuesday (California and it's 10 day waiting period...). So I will try and clean the inside and see if it really is a scratch. From what I've heard from this forum, Glock, and other forums, it IS hard to scratch the slide.

Once, again, thank you all for taking time and responding to my post!

11. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Glocks are not heirloom weapons. A scratch on the inside won't affect value. Glocks are rather homely, but effective and robust tools. Be concerned if your new Glock doesn't go bang as expected. Otherwise, ENJOY!!!