close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 20SF Long Slide Project

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Boba Debt, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Boba Debt

Boba Debt

I made it to the range yesterday and had the opportunity to shoot my G20SF.

I bought the gun with the intent to replace the factory slide with a long slide and I was so impressed with the caliber that now I'm 150 percent committed to the project.

In fact, I'm so committed to this project, that I'm already trying to sell the complete factory slide and the extra LWD barrel

Last week I discussed this with B&B enterprises and this is what we came up with:
    • $224.95 Lone Wolf 10mm Long Slide
    • $15.00 Blind Marking
    • $70.00 Graphite Black Cerakote on Slide and Comp
    • $124.95 Lone Wolf 6.61" Treaded Barrel
    • $109.00 CARVER Custom 10MM 4 Port Glock Compensator
    • $125.00 Dawsen Adjustable Fiber Optic Sights
    • $10.00 Sight Installation
    • $34.95 Arredondo 5 Round Mag Extension
    • $103.13 All internal slide parts excluding barrel
    • $28.50 CARVER Custom SS Guide Rod Assembly w/Spring
    • $75.00 Assemble and Test Fire Slide Assembly
    • $920.48 Total if bought separate
    • :tongueout: Package Deal
    I'm also trying to get the slide and barrel engraved with all of the Glock Factory markings, I hope this works out.

I already talked with Mike at Swampfox and he's going to make me a batch of rounds specifically for my Barrel/spring/compensator combination.

I don’t normally do anything to my pistols but for some reason I want to take this one to the edge of performance.

Now I just have to wait for everything to come together.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Boba Debt

Boba Debt

Lots of views and no comments.

I was really expecting to get beat up about this and was prepared to defend myself.

3. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

What's the cost of the package deal?

Why $75 to assemble a slide? can't you do that yourself?

4. level3

level3

I, for one, think it's a neat project. When you've got the 10mm top end sorted you can get a 9x25 Dillon top end too.
    Off the shelf ammo isn't gonna cut it...Mike McNett @ DoubleTap is a great resource for loading the 10mm to it's full potential.

5. Boba Debt

Boba Debt

I received a shipping notice so i should have my slide very soon :)

Here is a teaser image Bobby sent me

[​IMG]

I dropped a few items such as the Dawsen Sights, mag extention and Cerikoting so I ended up paying less then $650 for everything.

I wanted Bobby to assemble and test the slide so I would know it worked

Thought about Dillon but I'm pretty sure I'll stick to 10mm

After talking with Mike I decided to use Swampfox for all my ammo needs :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  6. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

This guy must not be up to date on the latest doubletap velocities and who rules the 10mm roost now!

7. gajones06

gajones06

Looks pretty nice...who did you slide work?

8. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Nice to see ya here at GT, Boba! :wavey:

Your project looks cool. I'll be interested to see the ultimate result.

Me, I just tossed a 6" Glock Hunter barrel in my G20-SF to get the same result, (minus the slightly shorter sight radius). If/when I ever experience overpressure problems with the Glock barrels, I'll consider an aftermarket one, (KKM or EFK Firedragon). In the meantime, the Glock barrels provide higher velocity due to their rifling. ;)

9. AK74play

AK74play

Long slides ROCK..... Got a few myself. Here's one. :wavey:

10. Boba Debt

Boba Debt

I worked on the the bull nose area of the slide today.

I had a friend build it up with a TIG weld and then I milled it flat on 3 sides. I left about .002" for final blending and used a 90 degree grinder to make the weld flush to the original slide

Unfortunately I went a little too deep on the middle of the forward serrations and on the very end so it's not perfect but I have a plan to fix that with some custom milling, but overall I am very happy with the way it looks

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  11. gajones06

gajones06

12. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

That looks really nice! The transition to welded metal is slightly visible, but I'd bet with a little polishing, or a refinish it would be completely unnoticeable.

13. Boba Debt

Boba Debt

I decided to go with a slide mount scope such as a Trijicon RMR / Burris Fast Fire

I also want to have the top of the slide customized kind of like this gun but not as deep or as much

[​IMG]

I like how it ties the comp to the gun, however, I'm not 100% sure that will not compromise the slide, after all this is a 10mm and I plan to use full power loads in it.

Anyone have any opinions about this?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  14. gajones06

gajones06

I don't see any reason why the integrity of the slide would be compromised...

15. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Boba, it looks like it's coming along really well. You are gonna LOVE that gun. I put a few hundred more rounds through my G20L yesterday. It ran perfectly, but had a few light jams toward the end when the LWD barrel got dirty. I'm going to order a 6" Glock barrel for it soon, so that should be a thing of the past. I took a few shots at a target that was hanging out at 100 yards. I hit it 3 out of 10 times. I was pretty impressed. These things are stupid accurate, and handle full power 10mm like it's nothing. Here are some pics of the 100 yard target:

The range:
    [​IMG]

Zoomed in, target is shown by red arrow:
    [​IMG]

The target:
    [​IMG]

These were my last 10 shots of the day, and I was getting pretty tired. My groups had started to open up significantly. I was surprised I even hit the thing. I could HEAR the bullets hitting the paper. Usually, the blast covers the sound of the bullet hitting paper, but at 100 yards, there's enough time for the blast to subside. I could hear two "taps" when I hit, or just one if I missed (one "tap" for the target, one for the berm). I hit it with my first two shots, then went screwy for a while. I came back on #6 or 7.

EDIT: By the way, I REALLY like the standard Glock markings on the left side. Did Carver do that? I think mine looks bland without the marks on the left. I might send mine to have that done before I get it finished.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  16. Boba Debt

Boba Debt

I think thats some pretty good shooting for a pistol at 100 yards.

Carver had an outside shop do the engraving. I think it makes a big difference on the way the guns looks.

I might pay to have the barrel and slide serialized to the frame, once I get that the way I want it.

17. ronin.45

ronin.45

Nice 10mm longslide. I have a couple 17Ls that are awesome. Good luck with the rest of the project.

18. Boba Debt

Boba Debt

I've decided to go with the C-More STS.

It is less expensive and I can do the mill work needed to mount it into the slide.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  19. Meathead9

Meathead9

Hey Boba, that thing is really coming along nicely! It really puts mine to shame. The way you eliminated the bullnose & tied the comp to the slide looks amazing. Well done sir.

As far as the lightening of the slide goes, you should be fine with that setup. I have read load data from another member here, who was also shooting a comp'd G20LS, and he was running a 13# recoil spring. I think as long as you have a custom load, tailored to your comp/recoil spring/slide mass, it won't matter how hot it is. That's the beauty of comps. If everything is planned right, it should chew up full power loads with practically zero muzzle rise. A G20LS with lightening cuts should still be plenty strong for full house 10mm loads, so adding a full custom comp setup will make the impact much less severe. Hell, it might make it feel like shooting a bunny fart load through a G34.

I think I remember you saying you were working with Swamp Fox for a custom load. I don't know if you heard, but Mike passed away recently. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like SF Ammo will survive in his absence. We have lost a valued member of the 10mm community.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  20. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but... told ya so! :tongueout: 6" Glock Hunter barrels are beautifully machined, (unmatched in reliability and durability), pieces of hardened steel, just like the stock barrels.

Yep, it's good except for the caliber markings. Glock's factory caliber marks, ("10mm Auto"), are different and more elegant.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011