Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about selling my Ruger GP100 and picking up a G20C for hiking. I want to know what is the pro's and con's of the G20C.

How is the recoil compared to the 357 magnum?

Is it worth selling the GP100 for?

Has anyone had to use they G20 in the wild for hiking or hunting and how did it do?????

Any jams or problems with the G20?????

Does the glock compensated model really reduce the kick???????

·
Registered
410 Posts
Read the literature. The 10mm slightly surpasses the .41 Magnum (S & W product) in velocity and lbs/ft. of energy. A .41 Magnum is more powerful than a .357 Magnum (also a S & W product). Depending on who's talking, the .357 Sig (a Sig Saer product) is equal in power to the .357 Magnum. Therefore, it can be reasonably assumed you would experience more recoil shooting the 10mm. But because recoil is subjective, you might think differently. Read the literature on each caliber, paying particular attention to lbs/ft. of energy (or ft./lbs as some people call it) and you can pretty well figure this stuff out for yourself. Or just read through these forums long enough and do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I recently picked up a 20SF and I absolutely love this gun! I bought it mostly for backcountry camping and hiking in bear country.
I would compare the recoil to a hot .45 or .357 magnum round. The recoil really isn't that bad and so I'd say that the compensator is unnecessary. And I'm not trying to be macho; there are guns out there that I couldn't handle (S&W .500 or .50 AE round for example) but this is a very manageable moderate-to-high-power handgun.
I've put several hundred rounds through it so far using moderate-power Double Tap ammo and so far not a single problem of any sort.
As to whether you should trade the Ruger, the answer is obvious so I won't even speak to that. Glock has engineered a really reliable and durable handgun to fire this stout round.
Go for it!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The recoil on glocks 10mm are very manageable....I have a G20 and I have never felt it was on the heavy side of recoil.....of course recoil is completely subjective...but I think you will find the recoil on glocks 10mm's lighter than discussed on many forums. I have never shot a compensated model but......I know you will enjoy that new G20C!!

·
reverse dentist
123 Posts
Well, I have a GP100 and a G20 and I spend a lot of time in remote parts of the BC wilderness.

I find recoil is easier to deal with on the Glock. I reload for both so I make some pretty hot handloads, but overall I find the Glock is easier to shoot.

Obviously the capacity is vastly better on the Glock!

The only thing I think the revolver has going for it is that if you have to jam the muzzle into something you're shooting because it's gnawing on you you won't take it out of battery. However, I think I would take the auto anyway.

The loaded Glock is lighter than the GP100...well, it's lighter than mine, anyway. I have the 6" barreled revolver though, which is pretty heavy.

Still, I would take 16 hot 10mms over 6 hot .357s any day. Plus another 15 pretty fast if you need them.

I think the G20 is a great wilderness piece.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Read the literature. The 10mm slightly surpasses the .41 Magnum (S & W product) in velocity and lbs/ft. of energy. A .41 Magnum is more powerful than a .357 Magnum (also a S & W product). Depending on who's talking, the .357 Sig (a Sig Saer product) is equal in power to the .357 Magnum. Therefore, it can be reasonably assumed you would experience more recoil shooting the 10mm. But because recoil is subjective, you might think differently. Read the literature on each caliber, paying particular attention to lbs/ft. of energy (or ft./lbs as some people call it) and you can pretty well figure this stuff out for yourself. Or just read through these forums long enough and do the same thing.
You're mistaken on a few things.

.41 mag is quite a bit more powerful than 10mm. 10mm is capable of being loaded to be as powerful as some [low end] .41mag loads.

.357sig is not equal to .357mag by a longshot. .357sig can compare to light .357mag loads.

That being said, go for the the G20.

As for recoil...it was the first gun my 11 year old brother in law shot and he loved it. It is not compensated.

Recoil is less that .357mag in my opinion.[non-compensated]

I wouldnt get a C model...but that's just me.

Ted Nugent has used G20 in Africa to kill wild boar. Danish Special Forces use G20 to help defend against polar bears.

It's the most powerful caliber in an automatic handgun that's practical. You can get a desert eagle....but they're huge. G20 compares in size to a normal full size handgun.

·
NRA Life Member
246 Posts
I use mine in the boonies all the time.....recoil to me is less than the .357 mag and quite controllable. I have not had to use it on any critters yet, but I would think it would handle the occasional rogue black bear as good as the .357 mag. does.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Get the G20. Once I find a Glock 20 locally, I'm buying it. I already have a G29, which is a lot of fun to shoot. The 10mm ammo is hard to find here locally, so I just order it online.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,617 Posts
Recoil and reliability are non-issues. The 10mm is a good cartridge, not .41 Magnum powerful, unless you compare it to low end .41's, but it's still pretty good for what it is.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You're mistaken on a few things.

.41 mag is quite a bit more powerful than 10mm. 10mm is capable of being loaded to be as powerful as some [low end] .41mag loads.

.357sig is not equal to .357mag by a longshot. .357sig can compare to light .357mag loads.

That being said, go for the the G20.

As for recoil...it was the first gun my 11 year old brother in law shot and he loved it. It is not compensated.

Recoil is less that .357mag in my opinion.[non-compensated]

I wouldnt get a C model...but that's just me.

Ted Nugent has used G20 in Africa to kill wild boar. Danish Special Forces use G20 to help defend against polar bears.

It's the most powerful caliber in an automatic handgun that's practical. You can get a desert eagle....but they're huge. G20 compares in size to a normal full size handgun.
I'm quoting stats, cuz, and the stats say factory 10mm loads slightly exceed the factory .41 magnum loads. Further, if you'll look back you will see I also said "depending on who's talking," the .357 Sig is equal in power to the .357 Magnum. Sig Sauer claims that and, if I'm not mistaken, Glock at least hints at it. So that takes care of that statement. I stand by what I wrote. But thanks for challenging me. You made me think about it a little harder.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My G20C is awesome. I was amazed at how little muzzle flip there is.

This was my very first IPSC match. I used my brand new G20C.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDzWicdM_4

Here's another video showing how little muzzle flip there is with the G20C. This is my son shooting, he was 14 at the time. The rounds were reloads I made up, 180grain xtp's travelling at 1285fps. You can also see the flames coming out of the ports. It looks impressive but while your shooting you don't notice the flames at all.
http://wrightjs.shawwebspace.ca/pages/view/more_stuff/

·
oh, come on!
1,620 Posts
My G20C is awesome. I was amazed at how little muzzle flip there is.
Good stuff. I'm surprised at the lack of muzzle rise too. The gun sounds like thunder compared to a 9mm. Looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good stuff. I'm surprised at the lack of muzzle rise too. The gun sounds like thunder compared to a 9mm. Looks like a lot of fun.
Yeah, there's definitely a larger pressure wave with the 10mm. I guess the ports direct some of it back towards the shooter as well. It's also louder than non ported barrels. Doesn't matter to me though because I wear really good ear muffs. Sure makes everyone at the range jump though. :cool:

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I'm quoting stats, cuz, and the stats say factory 10mm loads slightly exceed the factory .41 magnum loads. Further, if you'll look back you will see I also said "depending on who's talking," the .357 Sig is equal in power to the .357 Magnum. Sig Sauer claims that and, if I'm not mistaken, Glock at least hints at it. So that takes care of that statement. I stand by what I wrote. But thanks for challenging me. You made me think about it a little harder.
10mm AutoWinchester Super-X175gr1290 ft/sec649 ft-lbs

WINCHESTER 41 Remington Magnum 175 gr. Super-X® Silvertip® Hollow Point
Velocity (fps) 1250
Energy (ft. lbs.) 607

Never would've thunk it...lol

Although some factory loads I saw exceeded anything I saw in 10mm including double tap. But they were few. And of course they can be loaded to be twice as powerful as 10mm and you said factory... so, you're right.

Nice to learn something new.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts