Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Glock 20. Got a 6" LW barrel for it in 10mm because the factory barrel was abusing my brass pretty badly.

I shot it with the 6" barrel and my initial handloads which were for the stock barrel. Pretty tame 180gr at 1100 fps 6.7 Gr of Unique IIRC. With these loads and the 6" LW barrel it was shooting high (like maybe 3-4"), but the accuracy was pretty good.

So, I loaded some 180s with some 800X up to 1250 fps.

The thing is shooting really high now and the accuracy is horrid.

So I am wondering, is the gun starting to unlock a touch early? That would cause it to shoot that high right (and innaccurately)?

On the Glocks, is the recoil spring actually important for the lock up?

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Ret. Fireman
4,595 Posts
Atblis, Welcome to GlockTalk! I use an extra power spring(21lb) on my Glock 29 to tame the slide velocity, I believe it does maintain lock up just slightly longer from what I have read. This spring also works with my 40S&W loads fairly well but I can tell by the brass ejection the spring could be lighter for the 40S&W conversion.

Best regards!

·
OBEY ME!
1,902 Posts
I bet if you placed that gun in a vise it would not shoot any higher than the original barrel. I believe what is happening is that the longer barrel increases the duration of the recoil pulse and gives the muzzle time to rise further while the bullet is still in the barrel. The fact that it got even higher when you upped the charge is consistent with this explanation.

This happens to me frequently. I can shoot a short barreled pistol to point of aim, but a 5" or more barreled pistol in 10mm or .45 is going to shoot higher unless I really concentrate on a very very tight grip. Sometimes I just have to realize that I can't and I aim low to compensate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts