close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 20 range report: WOW!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Cineski, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Cineski

Cineski

Copy post from the one I started over at CalGuns. Figured the folks here would enjoy reading, too.

I was finally able to take my new Glock 20 to the range today to put some ammo through her. I have to admit I was a tad nervous with all the buzz (both positive and negative) on the internet regarding the 10mm round. One word to describe my experience is a very well emphasized WOW! Shooting the 10mm turned out to be an incredibly enjoyable experience, probably a testament to the Glock 20 and it's design. I did put a stainless guide rod and 20 lb spring from ISMI in before the trip based on 'net research. All else is stock. I went in with a few expectations after reading so much on the 10mm.

First, the 10mm round is, as I've read, incredibly accurate. From 35 yards to 100 yards it had a flat trajectory and hit where I pointed it with 4 types of bullets. I stuck with 180 and 200 grains. The G20 handles the round so well, followup shots where quick and accurate and the steel plates @ 35 yards were consistently gonging. My PM9 had harsher recoil.

Second, the G20 is a bit hard on brass. Every case showed slight but uniform case expansion (from Glock's factory barrel) wether shooting 180 or 200 grain Double Taps. There were no strange bulges that I could tell but will have to take a closer look. At the range, everything looked clean, just the slight expansion. The G20 ate all rounds reliably and spit the spent casing out with a good bit of authority even with the 20 lb recoil spring. Average spent casing was thrown about 18 feet as a guess. I could notice the round loading more after a shot (sound and feel). It didn't bother me, just something I noticed. Could have been the 20 lb spring slamming home with more force?

From my POV, the 10mm report was not really that loud (I was expecting a nuke :supergrin:). However, and this may sound corny, the echo from the mountains behind the range sounded like deep rolling thunder. At first I though it might have been another shooter shooting a magnum round, but it was my G20. The echo sounded like a canon (I mean that in the best possible sense). Utterly cool. Even though it didn't seem that loud to me, I quickly had several people stop by to see what I was shooting and they all wanted to check the G20 out, so I'm assuming it's quite loud from the sides to gain that attention. Not loud like the 9mm (which from the shooter's POV seems quite a bit sharper and higher pitched than the 10mm).

All in all an amazing experience and I'm very happy I made the switch from 45 to 10mm. The only downside is the cost of range ammo. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy shooting the G20 this much, and I only wish I could plink with it more often. This may push me into reloading, but there are some semi-decently priced 10mm out there if you look hard. Oh, to touch on Double Tap, the ammo seemed to perform very well. I did notice some variation in recoil with the 180 grain Gold Dots. Not a lot, but I could tell there was some slight variance from shot to shot. The rest were 200 grains and from a recoil perspective were very consistent.

On an entirely different note and to hijack my own thread, I shot my generous range neighbor's 500 S&W and 450 Marlin BFR revolvers when I finished up. I made it through 2 stout rounds of 500 (I was expecting to shoot only one to be polite, but the owner kept giving me rounds). It literally felt like someone hit my hand with a baseball bat. Instant red, stinging palm. It was about an 8" barrel on each, but probably would have had a great deal more comfort had they had a Hogue wrap around grip. The backstrap was metal. The last shot (and I could only do one) was the 450 Marlin. It recoiled so hard it created a blister on my palm and popped it at the same time. And no, I don't have girly hands.....it was probably from the time spent with my 10mm that did it :rofl:

2. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sweet! I can't wait for my G20 as she's next on my list. Thanks for sharing.

DH

3. bcj128

bcj128

I have wanted a Colt Delta Elite for a while. The 10mm is a very versatile round.

4. Tmygun

Tmygun

Nice report Cineski, sounds like you had a heap o' fun. I had my G20 out yesterday and really love it, it is accurate and the recoil is nice. I can't wait to get out again with it:supergrin:.
    Happy shooting!!!!

Tmygun