close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 20 questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Marky Mark, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Marky Mark

Marky Mark Curmudgeon

I am considering a G20 as a companion to my G17 daily carry piece, and have some questions for you who own and shoot the G20:

How is the reliability of the G20 compared to a G17 or G21?

With a .40 conversion barrel, do you use the regular G20 mags? If so, how is the reliability of the .40 conversion?

The ballistic superiority of the 10mm is easily demonstrated. However I don't plan to hunt, and can someone pontificate why I'd be better off with a G20 than a G21 in .45? The easy availability of .45 ammo is a plus.

Thanks,

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

JB,
    I can't compare reliability but I can tell you my 20's been rock solid with factory parts. I did try a couple of mods to it and they hurt reliability so I put it back to factory except for the scherer 3.5 connector and 22lbs recoil spring.
    With .40's in the mags function is fine, no problems at all.

You answered this one your self. "ballistic superiority of the 10mm" ;)
    Seriously though, I feel its a personal choice. I own a .45 and certainly don't feel undergunned when carrying it, but I have practiced much more with my 10's so the .45 stays at home.

3. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

IMO it is just as reliable as my G17.

You can get ammo from www.doubletapammo.com very easy. The 45's ammo cost less (for general plinking) but my G20 with the stock barrel will cycle and function perfectly with 40cal ammo (meaning if you dont want to pay for the DT match practice load, you can shoot 40, although I will say get a 40cal barrel for the G20 as a disclaimer). If you want the cheapest ammo, use your 9.

The 10mm will also shoot 9x25 and 357 sig. It is, IMO, the most versatile gun in the glock lineup (that is full sized) and the G29 is the most versatile compact. I would say get the G29 as a first as your dont hunt. You can get grip sleeves for the 15 round mags to make it feel similar to the G20, but you get a smaller gun which, IMO is better for CC. My G29 has peirce pinky extensions on the mags, which make it fit my hand almost perfect (I have large hands, but not meaty hands). You can also get a 5.5" barrel for the G29 if you do decide that you need a longer barrel. I plan on getting a conversion barrel for my G29 so I can shoot the awesome 9x25 rounds.

Summary: Get the 10mm, use 40 cal ammo if you need to for general plinking. Get DT ammo for carry, I use 165 and 180 grain gold dots, the 180 golden sabers are said to be a little much for humans. Some say fling the 135grain at them at 1600fps. I simply perfer a heavier bullet. I would say get the G29 first (thats what I did). Consider a 40cal conversion barrel if your gonna shoot it, although I have never had a problem with the stock barrel.

4. Chainsaw Maniac

Chainsaw Maniac

Get the conversion barrel. You can get .40 Miwall reloads from outdoormarksman.com for $115 per thou in a GI ammo can, plus shipping. You can also get Georgia Arms 10MM practice ammo for $190 per thou plus shipping. Good stuff, and totally reliable,.

5. Marky Mark

Marky Mark Curmudgeon

With the .40 conv. barrel, do you use the same 10mm mags?

6. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

7. atfsux

atfsux

While I have NEVER had a jam with factory ammo in my G20, I have had reloads I was experimenting with bobble during feeding. I have never had reloads bobble in my G19.

The 10mm reloads in question were cast projectiles (which everyone says is a no-no) and I later determined I had not seated the bullets deeply enough in the cases. On the next batch, I seated them deeper, and everything was fine.

So I guess that would mean that if you are going to be feeding both guns crappy ammo, the G17 would have an edge in the reliability department. But that is an easily solved situation.

8. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

9. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

If it works.

I thought about mentioning it, but with the prototype being a month away, i didnt think i should. What about a conversion for the G29/30?

I am game for a 45 barrel... again, if it works.

10. Marky Mark

Marky Mark Curmudgeon

Wouldn't 10mm to .45 or vice versa encounter breechface/extractor issues? Just curious...

11. Warrior2k3

Warrior2k3 Protector

A Glock Dealer advised me that a .40 can be shot out of a 10mm barrel and that a conversion barrel is not needed. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

12. JWP

JWP

the 40 in 10mm depends on the extractor holding the case to the slide breach face for firing, if it doesn't or the round is not captured by the extractor and pushed into the chamber you will have a possibly nasty jam requiring a rod and hammer to remove the round

13. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

I have never had a FTF or FTE using 40 cal ammo in the 10mm barrel. Not saying it wouldnt happen, but I have fired many rounds through it. Including 150 rounds as fast as I could fire, never a hic up.

How could it make the nast jam? If the exstractor doesnt grab it, it will be hard to fire it, meaning it would just be sitting in the chamber. What makes it jam so badly? Just wondering. Also, make sure you clean the heck out of the chamber and inspect the corner of the chamber before the rifling. Makes sure its a crisp edge, no rounded. You dont want there to be a problem with the head spacing.