Glock 20 Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Freeze N, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Freeze N

Freeze N I Hate Snow

I posted this in General Glocking a week or so ago, and I didn't get many response's. I would appreciate any help you all can give me. I bought a new Glock 20 3 weeks ago, and it seems to have a problem being reliable. I have 3 hi cap mags, and it has a FTF problem with 1 or possibly 2 rounds out of any of the 3 mags that I use. At first I thought it was a mag problem, but I am leaning more towards the recoil spring assembley. The slide is not coming back far enough to catch the next round on the end of the case. It catches on the side of the case and jams. All 3 mags do this with 1 or 2 rounds out of each mag, With factory or hand loaded ammo. I ruled out limp wristing, and my hand loads are loaded pretty hot! Im not sure where to go from here. I was thinking maybe a 1# lighter recoil spring. I looked in the manual and it doesn't say what # spring it comes with. Maybe you all can help. I can call Glock, but I hate to be apart from my brand new gun by sending it back to them. It is going to be my CCW gun, when I get this figured out. Thanks

2. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

I can tell you that I seriously doubt that you should have to change anything about your recoil spring. Glocks are always undersprung.

3. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

Where did you get the mags? Are they new or old?

4. Freeze N

Freeze N I Hate Snow

2 came with the gun. Red Label. 1 I bought in an unopened bag at a gun show.

5. spongeman66

spongeman66

I have a similar sounding problem with hot 10mm rounds. I do NOT have any problem with the weaker factory rounds like UMC, or my reloads with lower velocity.

It sounds like your slide velocity is too high. The slide cycles sooo fast that the next round won't feed. Also, the recoil of the heavy 10mm causes the bullets to actually drop a little in the mag.
    2 things to try:
    1. INCREASE your recoil spring weight. This might cause slightly slower cycling of the slide and allow the rounds in your magazine to catch up to your slide.
    2. INCREASE your magazine spring weight. I tried the + 10% Wolff springs, but that didn't get me to 100%. Right now, I am running 2 standard springs in some of my 15 round mags...I can only load 13 rounds, but I get 100% feeding!!! I also have a problem with those mags now in that they lock open with one round in the mag. I think I need to get some G18 mag springs and cut those down until I get the feeding I want...

Good luck!
    Sponge

6. Freeze N

Freeze N I Hate Snow

Yea I think you are on the right track with this. I see what your saying. 10mm factory ammo is kinda hard to find here. I just shot a mag of Hornady factory 155 gr today, and it went fine through all 16 rounds. Loaded a mag of lower pressure reloads and it jammed on the 11th round. Haveing the wife pick up a box of federal eagle 180's today from another town. Ill try that. I did order 3 Wolff 10% mag springs and a 20lb recoil spring today. I guess the factory spring is a 17# spring. Any other ideas guyies. Thanks