Glock 20 problems. Help needed.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Moonpie10mm, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Moonpie10mm

Moonpie10mm

I’m inexperienced with Glocks.
    Purchased a 20 a few months ago and have had problems with it from the start.
    The main issue is dead strikes. The striker hits the primer but gun doesn’t fire. The primer is dented quite deeply but the round doesn’t go off.
    The strike dent isn’t in the center of the primer either.
    I have read this is an issue with certain brands of ammo. In my 20 it is especially bad with S&B ammo. I have used S&B, Remington, Herter’s, SIG, and Hornady ammo. The other brands are not nearly as bad but there are still dead strikes. The rounds do fire when re-inserted.
    I have replaced the striker. Striker spring(new heavier Wolff). While better it stills happens.
    Off center strikes might be because of slight failure to go completely into battery. How do I check this?
    I’ve heard the extractor may be too tight. How do I check this?
    Another issue is the gun sometimes doesn’t close up on cycling.
    I have replaced the factory recoil spring with a Wolff steel guide rod and a 22lb spring thinking the factory unit may be weakened. I know it sounds goody but I swear it feels like the slide is “mushy” during recoil/closure. It doesn’t feel like its snapping back closed properly?
    I’m also experiencing failure to feeds. I am using new factory mags. The jams usually happen on the fourth ot fifth round from the mag. A short pull back on the slide and the jammed round feeds on up into the chamber.
    This happens on all brands of ammo.
    The gun has had approx 1500rds fired thru it now so I wouldn’t think it is a break in issue?
    Is it possible the barrel is slighly out of spec? Maybe the extractor?
    I thought I could solve the issue as I’m an old 1911 guy but this has me stumped.
    Thanks for any tips or advice.

2. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

3. Moonpie10mm

Moonpie10mm

No.
    The person I purchased from said he had not fired it.
    It certainly looked new. Still had the copper grease in the slide.
    I’m not certain but the gun is of recent manufacture. I think it is a Gen 4

4. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Call Glock cuss service. They are excellent and have a short turn around time.

mc1911 and DirectDrive like this.
  5. VoodooMountain

VoodooMountain

Just send it into glock. The off center primer strikes are indicative of a problem you probably cannot fix by just installing new parts.

6. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Like ^^^
    But put it back stock before you send it in.

As you stated you're new to Glocks and it sounds like you have a multitude of problems.
    So send it in.

7. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

S&B is my wadcutter of choice (FMJ, 180g) and I've had zero problems with it in my G20 Gen4 10mm.

The Selliers & Bellot rds never fail to chamber or eject and I feel their quality is as good if not better than many manufacturers of ammo in the world. Actually.... I've never had a FTF or FTE with any ammo I've used so far and that makes my feel that further searching for better ammo is fruitless.

I concur ... send it in for evaluation and repair to Glock. I hear they are easy and fair in all their dealings.

8. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Using various kinds of commercial ammo?

9. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Me? Yo, you talking to me?

I stopped shopping around for ammo. I'm a S&B and Underwood sworn fanboi now.

10. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Yes return to stock and return to manufacture

11. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

All you have to do is dump the Eurotrash.

12. Moonpie10mm

Moonpie10mm

I also have a Kimber 10mm 1911
    It eats up any ammo fed to it.

I will call Glock.

WeeWilly likes this.
  13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

You were likely right in your assumption of an out of battery strike. That usually is a bad RSA, an extractor issue or your thumb riding the slide when shooting.

I think before sending it back, try shooting it weak hand only. If it still has off center strikes, definitely call Glock or find a Glock Armorer locally. They will fix you right up.

DirectDrive likes this.
  14. VN350X10

VN350X10

By all means, put it back TOTALLY stock & send it back home to Smyrna. I've lost count on then number of rounds thru my G20, factory & reloads, and it has functioned even when I didn't !
    BUT.... one MAJOR thing to check before sending it back....
    Tear down the entire slide, removing firing pin, spring & everything else in there, but no need to remove the spring cups. COMPLETELY DEGREASE EVERYTHING WITH GUN SCRUBBER OR BRAKE CLEANER. Then re-assemble & check for your misfire condition. There should NO..ZERO ZILCH, NADA lube of any kind anywhere on that assy. Unlike a 1911 that thrives on lube, a Glock will choke on it. I've run mine totally devoid of any lube, any place, cleaning the entire pistol with lacquer thinner. It still runs ! Try a thorough cleaning, use ALL STOCK PARTS and see what happens.

uncle albert

15. Moonpie10mm

Moonpie10mm

When I first got the gun I ran it 100% stock.
    All that was changed was the sights. I installed some night sights.
    As the problem kept happening I started changing the parts out. First I swapped the striker. Then the strker spring. The the recoil spring.
    I will put it back to stock and try to get in touch with Glock.

16. VN350X10

VN350X10

I've been working as a gunsmith, specializing in Glocks for over 20 years. My 1st Glock was a G20 (new gun, new caliber) and over the years, I've found that the more you randomly change them, the worse they work ! When I get one in the shop that won't run, the FIRST thing I do is revert to stock. It usually works. Unless it's obviously over-oiled, then a good cleaning is first order of the day.
    They WILL function modified, I've built several full-race Glocks for USPSA competition, but it has to be done as a SYSTEM, not a mis-match of oddball parts.

uncle albert

17. I am Groot!

I am Groot!

Another suggestion is to remove the barrel and perform the "plunk" test with the cartridges that you have been using. The failure of this test would cause the slide to not lock up completely due to the cartridge not seating in the barrel's chamber all the way like it should. It may be that the barrel rifling begins too early and the bullet touches the rifling.

18. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

19. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Moon Pie: Make sure that you spend some time getting advice from Glock Talks 10mm Forum at:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forum/the-10-ring.38/