Glock Talk banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
I'm not retired
8,495 Posts
No I shoot and reload only the minimum to mid range levels. I dont shoots "hot" loads at all. In my opinion there is no sense in that because it damages your guns over time.
If I had a 10mm, I'd prolly be the same way. Good hits on a target is more important than making ammo so hot your gun gets harder to control when rapid firing. I am looking at a 10mm barrel and extractor for one of my G41's, just for giggles, but I'll never use the elephant killers in it. I'd keep the PF right around where the .45 acp Magtech GG 185 grain +P is...212, or so. Don't even have to worry changing anything else.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So if you wear it out with "hot loads" buy another one.....or is this the only pistol you plan on owning in your lifetime???

Owning a 10mm and only shooting wimpy loads cuz hot stuff causes more wear is like having a Ferrari and not going faster that 35 mph cuz you don't want to cause excessive wear and tear on it.

Why even get one in the first place???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just get both like I did. Middle = Glock 29SF Gen3, Right = Glock 20 (Circa 1990) & Glock 20SF Gen3
Font Sunglasses Musical instrument accessory Fashion accessory Strap

You can also buy different barrels for each model. Keep OEM barrel for duty/home protection loads. And use aftermarket barrels for ammunition testing. Be careful of reloaded ammunition.

·
Registered
543 Posts
OK Inque187, I went there and at .80 a round I have to assume they were too embarrassed to even publish the fps of their ammo. I am talking Underwood and other brands not afraid to tell you what they are up to. Even .80 is way less than the cheap $200 per case of 1000 in 9mm I am used to spending my money on. The magtech is ok at 1230fps but Underwood does not even offer anything that low. Are you trying to say that .80 is cheap compared to 1$?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Go with the Glock 20 or the Glock 40. (Ignore the RIP rounds, they are for home defense) Also get some hunting rounds: Solid Core 10mm Auto
View attachment 1008590
Ditto... if you ever have to protect yourself, a box of ammo marked "RIP" probably looks about as good as talking to the police while wearing a T-Shirt that says "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out."

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
After much consideration, I ordered the G29 SF online for $530 and a couple hundred rounds of 200 grain 10mm Federal HST. A friend of mine averaged 1,075 fps from his G29.4 with OEM barrel. 500 ft lbs of energy + from a factory HST load is pretty cool.

The factors that led to my decision of choosing the G29 over the G20/40:

I much prefer the compact/subcompact weapon in a wide variety of calibers that is easier to conceal, lighter and more comfortable to carry.

I don’t really chase energy numbers. I also believe that 180 grains much above 1,250-1,300 fps from a stock 10mm Glock compromises on the reliability & functionality of that weapon.

The fact that it also accepts a WML and G20 magazines + extensions is just icing on the cake.

·
Banned
461 Posts
Go with the Glock 20 or the Glock 40. (Ignore the RIP rounds, they are for home defense) Also get some hunting rounds: Solid Core 10mm Auto
View attachment 1008590
I've looked at A LOT of reviews and videos of the "RIP" ammo,
and it is just another (overpriced) "gimmick" round that isn't any
better than (even worse than) a XTP, Gold Dot or HST round,
and costs TWICE as much. The only thing "better" about the
RIP, is that it looks "cool" - no thanks, I prefer performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've looked at A LOT of reviews and videos of the "RIP" ammo,
and it is just another (overpriced) "gimmick" round that isn't any
better than (even worse than) a XTP, Gold Dot or HST round,
and costs TWICE as much. The only thing "better" about the
RIP, is that it looks "cool" - no thanks, I prefer performance.
And "RIP" wouldn't look good in court if you had to protect yourself with it....

·
Registered
509 Posts
What 40 Mike Mike said above.

I have the G29 and my son has the G40. I can put a lone wolf 6 inch barrel on my G29 and it becomes just as accurate and hard hitting as the G40. My son and I have stood side by side and exchanged weapons. If you don't look at the weapons the G29 with the six inch barrel feels just like the G40.

There is nothing you can do to the G40 make it as easy to cary as the stock G29.

View attachment 1001629

It might be ugly but it works.
That is the single coolest thing I have seen in a long time. Headed home to stick the Jarvis National Match 6" residing in my G20 into the G29 for a trip to the range!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.