Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I conceal carry a glock 20 it isn't difficult at all.
Agreed. I use a Key Brand Gear AIWB with Discreet Carry Concepts clips between the belt and pants in the appendix position. It is very comfortable and works great with a Kore Essentials belt with X7 buckle.

Reactions: Kentucky fan

·
S&W, SigSauer, H&K, Winchester, and Glock
261 Posts
considering a Glock 20 or 29 10mm.........Bear activity on the property. Only for defense

any advice?
Black bear or grizzly bear? If grizzly then 20 and if black bear a canine and any Glock model should be fine. We in Northern California so only have black bears and when hiking and packing out in woods most of crew just has 9 or even 38 specials. We do however always have canines with us as even our little rat terrier ran off a 300lb bear before.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
considering a Glock 20 or 29 10mm.........Bear activity on the property. Only for defense

any advice?
I say the 20. Especially if its a Gen 2 or 3 since it has a stronger recoil-assembly ring on the slide. The G29 recoil assembly ring is very thin and doesnt look very strong. That' s my opinion.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So, basically you loose 100 FPS to the G20. Not too bad considering the much smaller footprint.

The real question, how is the recoil compared to the G20 with hotter handloads or Underwood / Buffalo Bore?
As expected, the G20 has less felt recoil. Those 180 XTPs have a lil thump in the G29, but certainly not unpleasant. The 200 gr TCFPs are downright pleasant in the G29.

Nothing I have shot in my G29 had unpleasant recoil. Sure, you know you touched off a hot load with some of them, but that's pat of the fun, part of the reason I bought a 10mm.

BTW. Shooting .40 S&W (and I just use the stock 10mm barrel for this) is far less recoil felt than in any .40 S&W chambered gun I ever shot. It really feels like less recoil than most 9mm guns I've shot.

10mm recoil in general is WAY overrated on the internet.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
If you're shooting full power 10mm (you should be) then
you should install the Wolff 21# Spring / rod kit....
No I shoot and reload only the minimum to mid range levels. I dont shoots "hot" loads at all. In my opinion there is no sense in that because it damages your guns over time.

·
Banned
463 Posts
No I shoot and reload only the minimum to mid range levels. I dont shoots "hot" loads at all. In my opinion there is no sense in that because it damages your guns over time.
Actually, the G29 was designed to handle full power loads, they just put a lower power
recoil spring in it - and if you are just shooting (weak) ammo, you might as well just
get a 40 S&W, as you obviously don't need a more powerful pistol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've owned a G20 and a G29SF...still have the G20, the G29 is long gone.

For 10mm the G20 is great, nice feel, good at handling recoil and an all around good pistol for it's caliber. I did not care for the G29...horribly top heavy even for a Glock and just not a pleasant pistol to shoot. Oh sure if you use wimpy loads it's not bad recoil wise but as mentioned above...why get a 10mm of you're gonna use wimpy loads???

I'm sure the G29 is just great for some people but not me...it was by far my least favorite Glock and one of the pistols I have never regretted getting rid of.

·
Infidel :)
3,977 Posts
I really like my 20, it's my best shooting glock
Agreed, shoots VERY flat, better than any of my .45, .40, or even 9mm Glocks - like a laser. :) Better than either of my G21's, G35 OR G34 even. :O Wish I had never put off the G20 and 10mm, and skipped them all.

BTW, I stopped counting Glocks I have owned after 21 of them - own TWO G20s and will NOT part with either one of them. :)

·
Banned
463 Posts
I've owned a G20 and a G29SF...still have the G20, the G29 is long gone.

For 10mm the G20 is great, nice feel, good at handling recoil and an all around good pistol for it's caliber. I did not care for the G29...horribly top heavy even for a Glock and just not a pleasant pistol to shoot. Oh sure if you use wimpy loads it's not bad recoil wise but as mentioned above...why get a 10mm of you're gonna use wimpy loads???

I'm sure the G29 is just great for some people but not me...it was by far my least favorite Glock and one of the pistols I have never regretted getting rid of.
If I could carry a G20 instead of a G29 I would, as the G20 (certainly) has
better handling and less recoil - BUT I cannot conceal the G20 acceptably,
so I choose the G29; it's "top heavy" because it needs to be, and I accept
the "negatives" of it (though they're minimal) to carry a higher power AND
concealable weapon.

I believe the "concealability" is really the "separator" (of choice) between
the G20 and G29, as the other "differences" aren't big enough to be a
factor, including the recoil, which (with a tad of practice) is easy to master.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Used to have all three. Had lots of upgrades to the 29 in a 4 1/2 and 6" barrel and longer G20 magazines with sleeves. Usually carried it with the 4 1/2" and longer mag so when the G20 showed up, sold the 29.

Bought the 40 after the 20. Excellent pistol but having the longer 6" barrel, milled slide and co-witness sights on the 20, sold the 40 as the 20 now did everything the 40 could do only better (lower micro dot mount).

The 40 is a good pick if you do not want to spend a dime beyond the stock pistol. If you have a couple hundred extra to spend on a longer barrel and slide milling get the 20 or even the 29.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
10mm is decent for smaller bears. A longer barrel such as that of the G40 will help. Borg is probably right though; chronograph the ammo to verify performance. If the bears are larger like in Montana, then maybe move up to 44 Magnum.
You would be shocked to see how many people in AK have switched from big revolvers to 10mm. It’s almost impossible to find a 10mm on the shelf, they sell within days.

I’m not saying one is better than the other, just an observation. I carry a 29 everyday out in the woods. Recoil with Underwood is no problem for me. 5-7% less FPS than a model 20. Still going to come down to shot placement. Whatever your more comfortable with and can access better.

Just know your under gunned with any handgun in a bear fight. But I’m not wanting to carry a shotgun every hike I take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
886 Posts
You would be shocked to see how many people in AK have switched from big revolvers to 10mm. It’s almost impossible to find a 10mm on the shelf, they sell within days.

I’m not saying one is better than the other, just an observation. I carry a 29 everyday out in the woods. Recoil with Underwood is no problem for me. 5-7% less FPS than a model 20. Still going to come down to shot placement. Whatever your more comfortable with and can access better.

Just know your under gunned with any handgun in a bear fight. But I’m not wanting to carry a shotgun every hike I take.

I'm not in Alaska but the G20 10mm is the ONLY semi automatic that ever convinced me to carry an auto instead of a big bore revolver. Brotther Ted Nugent said that if you don't own a Glock 20, run to the gun store and buy two. He's right.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If I could carry a G20 instead of a G29 I would, as the G20 (certainly) has
better handling and less recoil - BUT I cannot conceal the G20 acceptably,
so I choose the G29; it's "top heavy" because it needs to be, and I accept
the "negatives" of it (though they're minimal) to carry a higher power AND
concealable weapon.

I believe the "concealability" is really the "separator" (of choice) between
the G20 and G29, as the other "differences" aren't big enough to be a
factor, including the recoil, which (with a tad of practice) is easy to master.
Personally I'm not a big fan of 10mm or .45acp for that matter, as concealed carry options.

All the guns I've tried in these calibers were either big clunky pistols like the G29 or brutal to shoot like the XDs45. For me smaller lighter pistols in 9mm are not only easier to conceal, but much easier to control and shoot effectively in small packages.

I suppose if I was bound and determined to use a 10mm for concealed carry it would be a G29, but personally I don't feel the added power makes up for the negatives and prefer 9s.

For my needs the 10mm is an open carry option that I carry on my side for hunting and camping trips and the G20 is a better option for those scenarios.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Both myself and my father-in-law switched from big revolvers to 10's. I was (retired now) a land surveyor and worked all over Bush Alaska with a 29. My FIL was a fishing guide in the Interior and always had a 20. Having your firepower in a compact package is nice when you're already lugging a crap-load of other stuff around.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts