Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
considering a Glock 20 or 29 10mm.........Bear activity on the property. Only for defense

any advice?
Glock 20 if you want to have a full grasp on the grip, also if you’re on your own property you don’t really need a Glock 29 unless you wanna walk around concealing it

·
Registered
20,075 Posts
It took me a long time to be able to shoot my G29 nearly as well as my G20.
Get the G20 first.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Glock 20. It's big enough to be easy to shoot well. Having said that, when in Farmville, I always tended to pack a single action revolver in .45 Colt until the past year or so, and now, coincidentally, I pack a Glock 20... the extra capacity of the Glock 20 over a revolver has already proven itself extremely useful when coming across a large group of feral hogs.

·
23,400 Posts
considering a Glock 20 or 29 10mm.........Bear activity on the property. Only for defense

any advice?
The Glock 29 is a compromise. It has a smaller grio and a shorter barrel so it can be concealed and you don't need to conceal the gun on your property do you? If so, just get the G20 and wear it underneath a cover garment.

The G20 is easier to shoot and holds more rounds and handles the recoil of high performance ammo better.
Cartoon Sharing Gesture Font Art

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
10mm is decent for smaller bears. A longer barrel such as that of the G40 will help. Borg is probably right though; chronograph the ammo to verify performance. If the bears are larger like in Montana, then maybe move up to 44 Magnum.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
The largest one that you believe you will actually carry is usually the better choice. If I had land enough to shoot on, I'd be open carrying, and likely grab a G40 or G20. I have a G29, which I CCW and is about as big as I realistically will carry concealed IWB with any regularity about town. It's just fine with Underwood or whatever heavy stuff, but it would be better if it were bigger. I'd want better for bear if I had the choice, and was running heavy hardcast with some powder behind it...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
S&W just came out with a M&P pistol in 10MM. About the size of a Glock 19 (on the shorter barrel option) with 15rd capacity and optics-ready slide. Worth a look.
That makes it Glock 30 size (height and thickness) with maybe a longer slide in the 4” version.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
10,632 Posts
I would suggest the G20 instead of the 29 for bear issues.

·
Banned
1,071 Posts
I’m going to go against the grain and recommend the G29 over the G20.

Why? The platform is more versatile. It will accept a weapon light or laser. Shorter in overall height than a G19 with flush mag. Accepts grip extensions and factory OEM 15 round G20 magazines for a reload or home defense.

Smaller footprint and somewhat lighter than the G20. Concealed or not, the G29 is simply easier to carry.

Aftermarket extended barrels will get you to G20 ballistics and beyond for the G29, if needed. Personally, I think Buffalo Bore 200 grain hardcast out of a G29 is a great woods combo, even from the 3.78 inch barrel.

For general field use or carry, G29.

For dedicated handgun hunting, G40 with MOS capability.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I’m going to go against the grain and recommend the G29 over the G20.

Why? The platform is more versatile. It will accept a weapon light or laser. Shorter in overall height than a G19 with flush mag. Accepts grip extensions and factory OEM 15 round G20 magazines for a reload or home defense.

Smaller footprint and somewhat lighter than the G20. Concealed or not, the G29 is simply easier to carry.

Aftermarket extended barrels will get you to G20 ballistics and beyond for the G29, if needed. Personally, I think Buffalo Bore 200 grain hardcast out of a G29 is a great woods combo, even from the 3.78 inch barrel.

For general field use or carry, G29.

For dedicated handgun hunting, G40 with MOS capability.
What 40 Mike Mike said above.

I have the G29 and my son has the G40. I can put a lone wolf 6 inch barrel on my G29 and it becomes just as accurate and hard hitting as the G40. My son and I have stood side by side and exchanged weapons. If you don't look at the weapons the G29 with the six inch barrel feels just like the G40.

There is nothing you can do to the G40 make it as easy to cary as the stock G29.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

It might be ugly but it works.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts