close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 20 or 21?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by OrangeDonkey, Mar 8, 2010.

1. OrangeDonkey

OrangeDonkey

I am currently looking to purchase a high caliber Glock, so I've narrowed it down to the 20 or 21. I enjoy shooting the .45acp but have never shot the 10mm but have heard great things about the caliber.

There is a Gun Show that comes into town once a month and a dealer there sells the 20 and 21 for only $489, which is the cheapest around these parts. If you were going to pick one of these pistols, which would you choose?

2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

No bout adoubt it... G20. Get the G20 SF (short frame) if you can!

4. MO Fugga

Welcome to GT!!! :cool:

5. OrangeDonkey

OrangeDonkey

I've heard a lot of awesome stuff about the 10mm round but I was just curious about recoil and ammo availability, which seems to be hard to come by.....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  6. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

You can always order 10mm online or get into reloading.

I love the 10mm round and it's versatility for absolutely accomplishing any task. Woods gun, self defense, night stand gun. You can't beat it.

I would suggest investing in some double tap ammo or reloading as you can get the best out of it.

In short, G20 all day everyday.

7. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

Also, if you have any major sporting outlet, they usually have 10mm instock, atleast my Cabelas does.

8. kshutt

kshutt

The G21 for sure. The .45 has already stood the test of time. The 10mm? Not so much. :israelflag:

9. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

G20 or G20 SF, then you can also load up .38Super too.

[​IMG]

Sierra, Hornady and Speer reloading manuals are also highly recommended. :supergrin:

Bob :cowboy:

10. Gokyo

Gokyo

I can shoot
    40S&W
    10mm
    357 sig
    9mm

out of my g20

Since I already reload in these calibers it made a lot of sense to buy the g20.

11. Brent10mm

Brent10mm

G20 4 sure.....:cool::cool::cool:

my 1st glock, and my fav. if your worried about ammo prices, just spend an $100 and get a lonewolf 10mm-40S&W barrel, and or .357sig. 9mm Dillon...ect.

10mm also has the largest bullet range... 135gr-230gr.... lots of choices :supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  12. Tommy Kelly

Tommy Kelly

I would probably go with the 21 for the ease of finding ammo. I just bought a 21 and its a great shooter I also have a 22 which is the 40 S&W they are both nice guns. I also have 2 kimber's in 45 acp that I love. The kimbers only hold 8 where the glock will hold 14 fully loaded. I put a 3.5#connector in the 40 and have a 2.5# connector coming for the 45 that should really help it. The glock factory triggers leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

13. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

10mm has tons of uses and is a devastating handgun round. Just be prepared to hunt for ammo and pay more when you find it. 45 has been around forever, is a lot easier to come by, and packs the power that has made it a legend. If you are into reloading, I'd go with the 20. If you aren't, I'd go with the 21. Actually, I'd go with the 21 anyway but I'm a huge fan of the 45acp...

14. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I'm a HUGE 1911 fan, most of my collection consists of high end 1911s. I have the utmost respect for it's cartridge. It's battle proven and I've seen it in action. I trust my life with a quality 1911.

Having said that, a hot 10mm round out of a G20 is MUCH more fun to shoot. I just picked one up and I'm having such a blast with it, it takes longer for the grin to leave my face when shooting a 10mm over a .45!! When shooting 10mm at the range, I'm always asked if I'm shooting a 50AE...and that was with a delta elite.

16 rounds of rapid fire with a HOT 10mm cartridge is the ultimate semi auto pistol experience!! (IMHO) Having said that, get the 10mm G20sf. Good luck!!

DH

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

get the G21.

with a barrel and magazine swap, and maybe a slightly stronger recoil spring you can both calibers.

16. OrangeDonkey

OrangeDonkey

Hey guys, just got back from my local gun shop and I think I got a case of "the guy behind the gun counter". I went there to get a feel for the G20 and G21 and ended up talking to the gentleman behind the counter for a good bit.

As far as the replies I've received on GT, more folks seem to be fans of the G20. The guy at my local shop told me to stay away from the G20 and to get the G21. He says that the .45 can do anything the 10mm can and it's more fun to shoot too. Is this true or is this guy just plain clueless?

17. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

G21 if this is going to be for all around use. If you plan on spending time in the woods, etc., the G20 is a good way to go. Between the 2, the G21 suits my use/environment much better. I also hate not having ammo on hand when I want to shoot, & then having to pay a higher cost to do so. When that happens, i end up shooting my 9mm, but I digress...

As to the guys opinion at the local shop: Yes and No. In the end, I like both, but the 45acp just makes more sense from an ammo cost & availability stand point. Sure, 10mm is available online & you can alawys get into reloading if you have the spare time & $, but on those spur of the moment occasions, like when you're out of town & want to shoot, finding 10mm can be a little more difficult to find.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  18. MO Fugga

Yeah, more fun to shoot, considering the price of ammo... .45 goes a long way.

19. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

I think you're taking too hard of a look at other people's opinions and need to think about what YOU want. The money will be close if not the same between the .45 and 10mm depending on where you are. Also depending on where you are the ammo may or may not be available. For instance, I find it very difficult to find MUCH .45 ACP defense ammo but can find plenty of range ammo. I have had to order my defense ammo online, and even with that I can usually only find 185 GR +p rounds. It sounds like the G20 is relatively versatile with what you can shoot out of it, so if you're concerned with the availability of 10mm then you will have other options, moreso than the .45. The .45 ACP is a round that has stood the test of time as someone mentioned above.

20. phonejack

phonejack

i did not know that you could shoot the other calibers out of a 10mm(if you buy the other barrels and i guess the mags). i have a g21 (and 2 1911's) and don't feel a real need for anything other than 45acp. just my .02's. "KISS" principal works for me.