close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 20 or 20C

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mell, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mell

mell

Hi,
    First time poster, long time site surfer! I am stuck as to which 10mm I want. I want the glock 20 or 20C. I will be using this for target shooting and for a backup while hunting black bear. I am sure I have missed some similar posts on this subject. So, should I go for the compensated model or not? Does the compensated model have much advantage over the non comp model or is it just a gimic? Any comercial hunting loads you fellas reccomend? Thanks for the help.

2. Craiger

Craiger 10mm

For myself I have no problems shooting a Glock 20 So I do not want to pay more money for a Comp. G20 and also loose bullet speed with the comped barrel... Loads?? Double Tap 200gr XTP 1250ft/sec or Double Tap 200gr WFN Beartooths at 1300ft/sec. JMHO

3. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I've had my G20 since 1992. I often shoot some fairly stout loads (my personal reloads) from it and the recoil is manageable but not what I would call pleasant.

Just last week, I purchased a new Federal Arms 10mm extended/ported barrel for the G20. It really does tame the perceived recoil enough to be noticeable and makes longer shooting sessions much more enjoyable. It was definitely worth the $79 I paid for the barrel.

Whether a G20C will provide you with similar results is not something on which I can comment; I presume it will.

4. Mr.Glock20c

Mr.Glock20c

Get the 20c. All the Bull$hit about dust in the face, nightsights gettin dirty, and the ultra bright flash, is all bull. I have already put 1000 + rounds through my 10mm and have yet seen what everyone is complaning about, but i can tell you this, IT IS LOUDER, and people wil respect you more @ the range, and compared to the Stock G20 the recoil of the 20c is Kinda like a G19 (9mm)

5. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

If you can handle the recoil of a 10mm, then get the standard model. That will keep the velocities up to the advertised speed for the barrel length.
    If you are one of those that are borderline as to whether you can handle the 10mm then get the C model.
    Go to a few local ranges and see if any of them have comp'ed guns to rent (hopefully of the same type so you can compare them).
    I have only owned one comp'ed/ported gun in my life (but have shot a lot of them) and most likely won't ever again unless it's a .50BMG, or .500 S&W something that I most likely wouldn't want to shoot without it. Porting is NOT a gimmick, it does work to reduce recoil, but it reduces velocity (almost to the point of having a barrel length the same as the distance to the ports). It also can cause short-term night blindness using some loads (some loads like DoubleTap seems to be low flash so this might be a non-issue). It also can dirty up the sights, but again, with good loads this again is a non-issue. The other thing you can't stop, is the much louder report when firing. Hearing protection is a MUST, even when using a ported full-length rifle.

6. Chainsaw Maniac

Chainsaw Maniac

I doubt seriously that I will ever own a comp'd model. But to each their own. If you get a C Model and don't like it, you can always buy a standard non-comp barrel and take care of it.

7. Friday@7

Friday@7

Chainsaw Maniac, I have been trying to get a straight answer on this for weeks. Did you say that you can simply drop a stock, non-ported G20 barrel in a G20C? Are there any safety hazards in doing so? Look forward to your reply. Thanks.

8. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Obviously, I'm not Chainsaw Maniac, but your question has an easy answer. Yes, you can safely use a non-ported 10mm barrel (of any reputable manufacturer) in a G20C. There are no problems whatsoever.

9. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

Or, you can get the non comp'ed model and get an EXTENDED comp'ed barrel. That way it will keep the velocity up and you won't be affected by one of the negatives of the ports...

10. The_Commish

The_Commish DieHard10mmNut

I have several 10mm ported guns...I prefer the porting by Mag-Na-Port to the stock G20Ci own....It is at a 45degree off-set and I get no front sight blacking... If the is night flash sheds it out away from the front sight and your field of view... E-mail I can send pics of both...
    When I have mag-na-port cut my gun, i have it done as close to the muzzle as it can be done, makes very little difference in velocity.
    Again, it does help alot with hot loads or large amount of rounds down range...if you are in this class...Get it ported or buy it ported...
    Good Luck
    :soap: