Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several Glocks but have a couple left on my list to complete my collection and the G20 is next in line. However it seems as if it’s a rare unicorn. Anyone else experienced this? My local shops have 19’s, 17’s, 43 etc but not any 10mm and can’t seem to get any either.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A shop I was just in last week in Fairbanks, Alaska had both a Blue Label 20 and 29, as well as a regular priced 40 to sell. 10mm is very popular in Alaska and they seem to have them in-stock quite often. They also had the new Springfield XD Compact Elite and a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, they are rare. I just bought one yesterday. I couldn't find them in stock online anywhere I've previously used for online gun purchases (Bud's, Grab A Gun, or Gun Genie) and GunBroker indicated they are going for close to $700 there right now. I went to 7 gun stores yesterday and only three had G20 Gen 4's in stock: $680 at Sportsman's Warehouse, $640 at a LGS, and $580 at another LGS. I bought it at the last place; I'd seen it in stock there on Sunday. That last place also had a Gen 3 G20 SF for $550.

The ammo situation is worse, though. Only one of those shops had any 10mm ammo in stock. Even our new Scheels, which has been open only ten days and has a lot of ammo in stock, was out. Sportsman's Warehouse had HSM, which is made in Montana. $45 for a 50 rounds of 200 grain FMJ. I bought a box just so I'd have something to shoot. Online (via Ammoseek) the cheapest option right now is just under 65 cents/rd, not including shipping.

Edit: There is also an active thread that says Glock is phasing out Gen4, so since there has been no new Gen 5 G20 released that could mean shortages due to that move.

·
Registered
376 Posts
10mm’s simply are not as popular as 9, 40, 45 so production is lower. Buying has been up and overwhelming production so I’d be willing to bet it’s a combination of the inventory that’s being made just being bought up quickly, and Glock allocating production lines to produce components for the more popular stuff that’s in higher demand. The fact that they’ve allocated all 9mm and 40 MOS models to LE/mil only and no commercial sales for the foreseeable future tells me that they just can’t keep up with demand.

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
If you have a Cabelas near you the G20 Gen 4 with a 10 round magazine $579.99, the G29 $649.99 and the G20SF $649.99 are all listed on line as in stock to ship to your nearest store.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I recently bought a new Glock 20 on Gunbroker. $579 NEW with 3x 15 round magazines and it came out to about $110 on top of that with shipping, taxes, transfer fee . Be patient and you can still find deals on them.

Edit: forgot to mention it's a Gen 4

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I couldn't find one either so I built the Polymer 80 clone in .45 ACP. Just a barrel change for 10 mm although heavy shooters upgrade the RSA. Nice to have a 2 caliber gun. Agree that 10 mm ammo availability is an issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had found a new one several months ago and got an okay deal and really enjoy the gun. Last week I went looking for a blue label 21 which was not in stock, but this gun shop had a like new G20 with the same Ameriglo front I use on all my Glocks, but a ghost ring rear. If I had to guess I would say the gun had a box, two at most through it but the previous owner drenched the damn thing in lubricant. Considering the asking price was $100 less than I paid for the brand new one just a few weeks prior not counting the added cost of the night sights I now own matching G20s, but am still on a quest for that second 21. The large frame Glocks are my favorites.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
The way I understand it, like most other companies, glock dedicates it’s production to certain models at certain times based on demand.
with 9mm’s the most popular they are likely running production on 9mm exclusively.based on market projections/prior sales and other data they will make a run of whatever they feel they need for the upcoming year.
if you have ever bought a gun on the gssf program ( prize certificate from a match) this can be understood easily
order a gun that happens to be in production currently and your gun is delivered in a few weeks
order something they won’t make a run of for five months and you will wait until then to get it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Get a Glock 21 and buy a new storm lake G20 barrel and some Glock 20 magazines.
I looked into that recently before buying a Glock 20. Most of what I read recommended conversion barrels, not just throwing in a 10mm barrel in a 21 so I was going by that. Storm Lake was owned by Remington and shut down by them early last year. The name went on to the Palmetto State Armory owners, but nothing has happened with it. A website pops up if you look for them but none of the links work. Their product has almost completely disappeared. The other companies making 10mm conversion barrels for the G21 have stopped doing that for now and I couldn't find any for sale anywhere. Glockstore listed Double Diamond but were out of stock and want you to order them and wait. KKM doesn't even list their 10mm conversion barrel right now and even if they did they say they are 7-8 weeks behind on production.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I looked into that recently before buying a Glock 20. Most of what I read recommended conversion barrels, not just throwing in a 10mm barrel in a 21 so I was going by that. Storm Lake was owned by Remington and shut down by them early last year. The name went on to the Palmetto State Armory owners, but nothing has happened with it. A website pops up if you look for them but none of the links work. Their product has almost completely disappeared. The other companies making 10mm conversion barrels for the G21 have stopped doing that for now and I couldn't find any for sale anywhere. Glockstore listed Double Diamond but were out of stock and want you to order them and wait. KKM doesn't even list their 10mm conversion barrel right now and even if they did they say they are 7-8 weeks behind on production.
KKM was saying 10 weeks when I ordered a 10mm G20 Match barrel in August. It arrived in the mailbox exactly 6 weeks to the day after I ordered it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have several Glocks but have a couple left on my list to complete my collection and the G20 is next in line. However it seems as if it’s a rare unicorn. Anyone else experienced this? My local shops have 19’s, 17’s, 43 etc but not any 10mm and can’t seem to get any either.

thoughts?
It took me 6 months to find mine but that was spring of '20 and you couldn't find anything. Once I purchased mine though it seemed like everyone had them. Good luck.

·
MacGyver
10,008 Posts
The 10 mm appeals to a certain type that wants to skirt the envelope of blowing up their gun and shooting large animals, and spending time in their basements cooking up cartridge loads that does those thing in various degrees, or buying ammo "promising" a near catastrophe experience.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts

thoughts?

The libs are going after the more powerful handguns first. The 10mm, 357 Mag and 357 Sig ammo is very difficult to find while the stores have more .9mm, .40 and .45 than they can sell. I know popularity plays a roll but this is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.