Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well trying to decide between these pistols..I have owned both in the past Gen 2's that is before SF ..and now trying to decide which...I really don't feel I need the extra power of the 10mm...And I already have a stable of 5 45acps...but would like a high-cap /striker fired semi ......but dang ..I like the 10mm also

Gosh ,decisions, decisions ....

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you already have a stable of 45acp, why not get the G20sf or Gen4, & it holds 15 hard hitting 10mm ammo! Also, if you get the +2 mag extension =17 rds! :cool:

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Buckeye,

Do you load your own ammo? If so, you'll really appreciate the wide range of options you have with 10mm regarding powders and projectiles. It's a lot of fun, for sure, and many choose the G20 as their pistol of choice for bear country, if that would be a concern of yours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 20 and a21-like them both-If you want both, get a 21 and buy a 20 barrel as well as some magazines for the 10 mm. May have some problems with extractor but may not.
I have used the 20 barrel in the 21 and could not tell any difference. No ejection problems or no problems what so ever.

Don't know if that would work on gen 4 but aren't they still the same guns.

My 21 was a used 2nd gen when i bought it and my 21 is a 3 rd gen.

While you can "go down" ( from a 21 to a 20 ) you can't " go up " ( from a 20 to a 21 )

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,669 Posts
Well trying to decide between these pistols..I have owned both in the past Gen 2's that is before SF ..and now trying to decide which...I really don't feel I need the extra power of the 10mm...And I already have a stable of 5 45acps...but would like a high-cap /striker fired semi ......but dang ..I like the 10mm also

Gosh ,decisions, decisions ....
I have both the 20 Gen4 and 21 Gen4 and both are great pistols. If I had to choose between them for whatever reason, I'd go for the 21.

Both shoot great, but the 21 is softer shooting. However the cool thing is that if you want more power, you can have something more powerful than the 10mm. The G21 will let you drop in a 40 Super barrel, run .45 Super or 460 Rowland as well, all of which are more powerful than the 10mm.

You can even get a 10mm conversion barrel for the 21, and there's also the 400 Corbon, which is similar to the 10mm in ballistics, not the same but similar.

Both are very accurate, but something about the .45 Glocks make them extra accurate it seems to me.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have both the 20 Gen4 and 21 Gen4 and both are great pistols. If I had to choose between them for whatever reason, I'd go for the 21.

Both shoot great, but the 21 is softer shooting. However the cool thing is that if you want more power, you can have something more powerful than the 10mm. The G21 will let you drop in a 40 Super barrel, run .45 Super or 460 Rowland as well, all of which are more powerful than the 10mm.

You can even get a 10mm conversion barrel for the 21, and there's also the 400 Corbon, which is similar to the 10mm in ballistics, not the same but similar.

Both are very accurate, but something about the .45 Glocks make them extra accurate it seems to me.
Just for the helluvit: Have a G21SF, KKM bbl., 22 lb. recoil spring, and stainless guide rod (Wolff). What all would I need to convert this rig to a 10mm?

Just for the helluvit. Thanks.
AK

·
Registered
554 Posts

The 460 and 40 super are mote powerful. Not the 45 super. Just wanted to clear that up. Lol. Also the 460 requires a comp.

·
Transform & Win
3,346 Posts
The 460 and 40 super are mote powerful. Not the 45 super. Just wanted to clear that up. Lol. Also the 460 requires a comp.
Check out the 250-300gr nuclear .45 Super hand loads that SDGlock23 has worked up (link below). :cool:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20531621#post20531621

Example:
" 300gr LFNGC, 9.3gr 800x @ 1.270": 1,125 fps (8 fps ES!) 843 ft-lbs!! "​

That one has a Taylor KO Factor of 21 which rivals the top range of 460R factory ammo.

·
Regular Guy
1,789 Posts
Picked up the Gen 4 Glock 21 today...very happy ...
Awesome. Congrats. You won't be disappointed. As a guy who owns a 21 and a 20, if I could only afford one it would have to be the 21. It's soft shooting, laser accurate, easy to find ammo and a proven fighting round.

I love my G20SF, but my 21 is more useful and there simply isn't a more comfortable,accurate .45 that I've ever tried.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check out the 250-300gr nuclear .45 Super hand loads that SDGlock23 has worked up (link below). :cool:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20531621#post20531621

Example:
" 300gr LFNGC, 9.3gr 800x @ 1.270": 1,125 fps (8 fps ES!) 843 ft-lbs!! "​

That one has a Taylor KO Factor of 21 which rivals the top range of 460R factory ammo.
That is impressive. Do we have a clue to psi? Are those loads safe? Also with such long bullets the case capacity must be little. I would be really worried about getting a little set back spiking the psi into danger areas.

The foot lbs can be passed with the 10mm. But for a super heavy bullet that is cool.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,669 Posts
That is impressive. Do we have a clue to psi? Are those loads safe? Also with such long bullets the case capacity must be little. I would be really worried about getting a little set back spiking the psi into danger areas.

The foot lbs can be passed with the 10mm. But for a super heavy bullet that is cool.
The bullet is good size, but that particular bullet has a profile on it that allows for a more normal OAL, so it doesn't really restrict case capacity all that much. There are 300gr bullets with more of a blunt profile which would raise some issues concerning case capacity. PSI levels are going to be closer to 460R levels than "standard" 45 Super levels, but the KKM barrel (required) has fantastic support, is compensated, and the .45 Super brass is strong, as strong as 460R brass. For the 10mm to produce the ft-lbs of energy the above 300gr load gives, it would have to shoot a 180gr bullet to over 1450 fps, but even then the .45 bullet is over 65% heavier.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The bullet is good size, but that particular bullet has a profile on it that allows for a more normal OAL, so it doesn't really restrict case capacity all that much. There are 300gr bullets with more of a blunt profile which would raise some issues concerning case capacity. PSI levels are going to be closer to 460R levels than "standard" 45 Super levels, but the KKM barrel (required) has fantastic support, is compensated, and the .45 Super brass is strong, as strong as 460R brass. For the 10mm to produce the ft-lbs of energy the above 300gr load gives, it would have to shoot a 180gr bullet to over 1450 fps, but even then the .45 bullet is over 65% heavier.
I know with my 6 inch 1450 with a 180 is easy. I have a cast 184 at does 1610. But that is a nuke. Lol. I have 200 gr cast at 1450. And 190 at 1510. Wanted to work up a 220 load but have not gotten around to that yet. All my super nukes are 800x. Nothing else seems to come even close.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts