Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, long time lurker here and i just decided to register to ask a question.
Like the tittle says, i'm choosing between 2 mentioned models. The gun will serve mostly as a target shooting and HD. The only reason i'm interested in G22 gen5 is the improved rifling that should add to a velocity and accuracy. At least so i read. But how much more of a velocity and accuracy would i get from .40 in gen5 compared to gen4?
This will be my first glock, i'm not into small 9mm or similar calibers. I love larger calibers guns and revolvers.
Just a thing to add, i'm from Europe and i have a very poor ammo choice for said calibers to pick here. The most of ammo is a classic fmj target stuff. The only self defense ammo i can obtain is 165grs gold dot in .40 and hornady xtp 180 grs in 10mm.

So based on the 2 options of SD ammo, which glock would you recommend to me?

Sorry for a long post, i appreciate any reply.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
if ammo availability is a concern I would go the route of the .40SW. And if you are not a regular shooter, 10MM can (can, not always) be a hand ful.

ain't a damn thing wrong with either of those rounds you mentioned, though: both are excellent.

The Gen 5 .40s are excellent guns. That gets my vote.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if ammo availability is a concern I would go the route of the .40SW. And if you are not a regular shooter, 10MM can (can, not always) be a hand ful.

ain't a damn thing wrong with either of those rounds you mentioned, though: both are excellent.

I forgot to add that i am no recoil sensitive, i own revolvers in .357 and .44 mag. But funny how i personaly did find .40 more annoying to shoot than a 10mm and i tried them both in other pistol brands and models. 10mm feels similar to .44, a nice firm push back, but .40 feels so weird like it wants to jump out of your hand. That's just how i felt personaly.

·
Just pixels
3,122 Posts
Own both and love both. I seriously think the gen 5 22 is very underrated, but hey it’s a 9mm world…

If ammo limitations are strictly what you listed 165 grain gold dot 40 or 180 xtp 10mm, id go Gen 5 22 no question. Not that the 10mm xtp is bad, it’s just that the 165 gold dot is just kind of a gold standard load, while the xtp is thought of is “fine” by many.

Assuming you actually have or may have more freedom of choice in the future … if your hands are big enough either is comfortable, to me would be a very simple pick: If you reload or plan hunt AND are bucks up enough that paying boutique ammo price is no issue, I’d go with the 20, if I’d go with the gen 5 22.

As I said however, I went with both:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your help. No, unfortunately i can't handload, nor hunt with a handgun even if i'd be a hunter. So, just target practice and HD. Could i actually safely shoot .40 out of a glock 20 without having to change the barrel?
As for the ammo, judging by the tables, 10mm hornady xtp's has alot more ME and velocity than .40 gold dots, so how come latter are considered better?

·
Mr. Awesome
12,214 Posts
Both of your SD ammunition options are excellent. Good Dots are a lower expansion, higher penetration bonded bullet. The XTP is one of the best non-bonded offerings known for accuracy and consistent terminal performance.

My opinion, you need to look at overall ammunition availability (or your ability to reload) .40 S&W vs 10mm, not specifically what brand and bullet is currently available.

As far as Gen 4 vs Gen 5, that’s something you can search on. It’s been discussed many times and the points have been covered.

If you’re not reloading, there really isn’t any point in getting 10mm. The vast majority of commercial 10mm is close enough to .40 S&W there isn’t a difference. I’m guessing most of the boutique rounds that do maximize on the 10mm’s potential aren’t available, over there.

Personally, I would go with the .40 S&W. First, my hands don’t fit around the larger frame GLOCKs as well. The Gen5’s in .40 S&W have fat slides, but the frames are the same as the 9mm’s and the previous generations in .40 S&W. The other reasons are unique, to me, and not relevant.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I appreciate your help. No, unfortunately i can't handload, nor hunt with a handgun even if i'd be a hunter. So, just target practice and HD. Could i actually safely shoot .40 out of a glock 20 without having to change the barrel?
As for the ammo, judging by the tables, 10mm hornady xtp's has alot more ME and velocity than .40 gold dots, so how come latter are considered better?
Some will argue against it, but I have shot hundreds of .40 out of my G20 without an issue.

The xtp and gold dots are just different. The xtp tends to expand more conservatively than the gold dot. The gold dot is also a bonded bullet which prevents jacket separation and will inhibit penetration. That being said, I really haven't seen an issue with the xtp coming apart, likely because of it's more conservative expansion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't reload myself, but i can buy reloaded ammo from guys that do reload them. But i'm not that into that full house 10mm stuff, because like i said i don't hunt and because i'm not in the mood of buying an aftermarket barrel.
So the mild to medium loads would do totaly fine for me. And these hornady xtp's seem like a decent HD round.
Personaly, i'm more into 10mm than .40, but i'm open for changing my mind. The mere 2 mm wider grip of G20 is really not an issue, considering i handle ruger super redhawk and taurus raging bull with ease lol. I have big hands and long fingers.
If i'd go from 9mm only to a .40 in semi auto, it wouldn't feel like a huge step up tbh. Plus, like i wrote before, i personaly find .40 a bit annoying to shoot due to the strange twisty "recoil", compared to a nice push and a slow jump with 10mm. I don't know how that compares in G20 vs G22 tho, because i wasn't using glocks then.
So all of that goes in a favour of G20. The only 2 things that i find more appealing in G22 is the fact that it is a gen 5 with improved rifling and those gold dot ammo.
So i'm like 70 vs 30 in favour of G20 so far.

10mm would seem like a better for long range target shooting, due to flatter trajectory.

As for HD, like i said i have only 2 options to choose from.

Besides, the data for this ammo is:

.40 s&w 165grs gold dot
ME: 484 ft lbs
VE: 1150 fps

10mm hornady 180grs XTap
ME: 650 ft lbs
VE: 1250 fps (5" barrel)

And based on this video, XTP's perform great.

Decisions, decisions....

·
Just pixels
3,122 Posts
We’ll at least you can’t really make a bad one in my opinion in this case.

XTP certainly not considered a bad round, just that the 165 grain gold dot 40 was carried by many law enforcement agencies for many years here, so it’s vetted a lot better as a good defense round.
No reloading, no hunting I’d be all over the Gen. 5 22, but if cool factor or the 10mm gives more than a 3% cool factor advantage I can see it sliding up to #1 ;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I recommend to everyone to get the 40’s and then buy the 9 conversion barrel with a couple 9 mags down the road. You have two guns in one. When ammo is hard to find you can usually find one or the other. at least your chances are better. Have them for my 27’s 23‘s and 22’s. I also have quite of few 10’s. Great round. i would not recommend one for your scenario though.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have the Glock 20 gen4 and recommend it simply for that reason.

Reactions: Baldeagle0

·
Mr. Awesome
12,214 Posts
Some will argue against it, but I have shot hundreds of .40 out of my G20 without an issue.

The xtp and gold dots are just different. The xtp tends to expand more conservatively than the gold dot. The gold dot is also a bonded bullet which prevents jacket separation and will inhibit penetration. That being said, I really haven't seen an issue with the xtp coming apart, likely because of it's more conservative expansion.
The part I bolded is incorrect. A bonded bullet stays together better, ensuring better penetration. In no way would a bonded bullet have inhibited penetration due to being bonded.

From what I’ve seen, in regard to current premium defensive ammo options, the Gold Dots tend to have less expansion and more penetration, than their competitors. It’s actually a pretty good balance, for great performance in a lot of situations.

The XTP do tend to be a bit more conservative, on expansion. I agree that likely the mechanics that keep them together also are the reason for the somewhat limited expansion. When I type “limited expansion” I am referring to the XTP compared to the Federal HST or Winchester T-Series. Neither of those are bonded, either, but tend to get more expansion than the XTP while all get respectable penetration.

The good news: you can’t go wrong with a properly loaded XTP or Gold Dot.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The part I bolded is incorrect. A bonded bullet stays together better, ensuring better penetration. In no way would a bonded bullet have inhibited penetration due to being bonded.

From what I’ve seen, in regard to current premium defensive ammo options, the Gold Dots tend to have less expansion and more penetration, than their competitors. It’s actually a pretty good balance, for great performance in a lot of situations.

The XTP do tend to be a bit more conservative, on expansion. I agree that likely the mechanics that keep them together also are the reason for the somewhat limited expansion. When I type “limited expansion” I am referring to the XTP compared to the Federal HST or Winchester T-Series. Neither of those are bonded, either, but tend to get more expansion than the XTP while all get respectable penetration.

The good news: you can’t go wrong with a properly loaded XTP or Gold Dot.
That was worded poorly. I meant the jacket separation will inhibit penetration.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Out of mine ccw xdm compact 10mm for SD I carry mostly Underwood 180gr xtp but I do have some other brands but mostly Underwood I have been thinking about try some Buffalo bore.

Reactions: Baldeagle0
1 - 20 of 40 Posts