Glock 20 G4 10mm

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jim Bauch, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jim Bauch

Jim Bauch

New to this forum so be patient!! I do some hiking in bear and cat country and looking for protection beyond the spray. Would this gun be a good choice for me? I read somewhere that there is a special sizing lube needed when reloading for the pistol. True?? Best powder, bullet and grains for best accuracy and stopping power? Thanks, Jim

mic214, JustSomeDude and reniram like this.
  2. reniram

reniram

Welcome! I normally carry a G22 when hiking but am thinking about changing to a G20.

mic214 and Jim Bauch like this.

3. pdugas

pdugas

You might want to look at Underwood ammo. They make some serious stuff.

thewoods868 and mic214 like this.
  4. Jim Bauch

Jim Bauch

Will do!!

mic214 likes this.
  5. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

in my opinion, this is the best tool you can take for bear defense. Go get it and you won't regret it.

mic214 and boilergonzo like this.
  6. Mike-M

Mike-M

OP: If you are serious then you won't be considering ANY reloads made by anybody. Seek UNDERWOOD for premium performance ammo.

thewoods868 and mic214 like this.
  7. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Welcome to the forum. For hiking in the Appalachians, I carry spray and a G20. I am fine with either Underwood or Buffalo Bore, and Buffalo Bore hard cast 220gr. is what I currently have in my G20.

I think it is a great option for bears not roaming the Rockies (big ones!) or living north of the Canadian border (white ones!).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Pack26 and mic214 like this.
  8. gunowner1

gunowner1

If you trust your reloads for carry then carry them. Accurate #9 seems to be the best powder for heavy bullets. I loke the xtp projectile cause it can stand up to real 10mm vdlocities. As always start low and work up a load. I use Hornady One Shot lube for all pistol reloading.

9. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude

I just got a G20 for this very purpose and had it with me last week while hiking/camping near the Tetons.

I avoid Buffalo Bore, just because it feels like I'm paying more for brand recognition than anything else. But if you don't mind spending the money, their new 190gr Dangerous Game ammo looks to be a sure thing.

For my trip, my mags were mixed with Lehigh Defense 140gr Extreme Penetrator and Underwood 150gr Extreme Hunter. I would've added some Underwood 200gr Hard Cast to the mix, but it was sold out at the time I placed my order.

My only caution is to be careful with some of the 220gr hard cast options. There are some videos out there that demonstrate it tumbling out of the G20. And that's not a good thing when you're hurling it at big hairy critters.

mic214 likes this.
  10. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

G20!is an excellent choice and I concur with the Underwood recommendations.

mic214 likes this.
  11. Tito's Glock

Tito's Glock

I agree the G20 is the way to go for bear. Also check out the new Buffalo Bore 200 g. Metallic Mono-Bullet. It was specifically designed for maximum penetration.

Don't order directly from Buffalo Bore they are waaaaay up in the mountains and will charge you $20.00 shipping.

tallTexasdude and mic214 like this.
  12. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

One, I'm not trusting hand loads in the woods...never have. Two, there are a couple good ammos out there that will get a bear's attention out of a G22. At a certain fps with a certain bullet weight: the job will get done. Anything else is just more to clean up.
    Ybeareats40calbutregurgitates10mmMMV

13. mic214

mic214

You can’t go wrong with a G20……

[​IMG]

14. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I don't know how big the issue is, but I have seen videos of tumbling (including Hickock45). I have a KKM barrel in my G20 for that very reason.

Glolt20-91 likes this.
  15. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Not true. I reload lots of 10mm with carbide dies and I rarely apply any lube at all.
    I believe you will get more accurate answers if you ask these questions in the 10 ring forum. It specializes in 10mm:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forum/the-10-ring.38/

The 10mm reloading forum:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forum/10mm-reloading-forum.67/

and the reloading forum:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forum/reloading.26/

Good luck and welcome.

16. 4949shooter

4949shooter

The G20 Gen 4 is an excellent choice. The Underwood loads are fine. The hardcast are even coated so you can fire them in a Glock barrel (I have). The Buffalo Bore is good too. Their 190 grain monolithic looks interesting though I haven't tried it.

mic214 likes this.
  17. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

If you shoot nuclear loads, you may have to select a different RSA. I have a G 20SF (Gen 3) and a Gen 4 G 20. I had to respring the Gen 3, the Gen 4 Seems fine so far. All I shoot are reloads. I use all new Starline Brass and Sierra 180 grn HP's at about 1200 fps. I reload the once fired brass with Xtreme plated 180 grn and 165 grn plated HP's. I try to keep them at 1200 fps as some say the plating sheers off. 10mm is a lot of fun to shoot, there are lots of handguns and carbines being made these days and its versatility is best realized if you reload for it.

March817 and Mike-M like this.
  18. skyfall

skyfall

If you do not recommend ordering direct,who has the best price/shipping on Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo?

19. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

OP: If you are serious then you won't be considering ANY reloads made by anybody nor any boutique manufacturers. Seek a major ammunition manufacturer (Federal, Speer, etc.) for premium performance ammo.

20. Mike-M

Mike-M

The G20SF RSA 5586 is single-spring.
    The G20 Gen4 RSA 30077 is dual-spring.
    You present a very good demonstration of the real practical value of the dual-spring RSA versus the single-spring RSA from very similar service.

The entire RSA compresses the same distance for either spring type...but the dual-spring has approximately twice the total number of turns, each of which flexes only about half the distance during compression that a turn in a single-spring RSA flexes. That gives the dual-spring RSA almost twice the service life of the single-spring RSA.

The G20 Gen4 is a excellent pistol. Just like all other 10mm (and 357SIG) Glock pistols, it's made only in Austria.

fasteddie565 likes this.