Glock Talk banner

Glock 20 failure to extract

4217 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Buckshot Barry
I just picked up a gen 4 glock 20 the other day and after cleaning and lubing it took it to the range. I started out with light loads (180g American eagle and sellier & bellot) for about 100 rounds before going to some hotter stuff (sig 180g, grizzly 180g, and buffalo bore 180JHP and 220g hard cast. I cleaned it before going to the hotter rounds.

So the malfunction I'm seeing is about every 15 to 30 rounds after firing, the case is left half way inside the chamber, with the slide resting behind the next round in the mag which won't feed because of the previous case is still halfway in the chamber. This seemed to happen much more often with the grizzly, sig, and buffalo bore rounds.

Twice I also had the slide start to feed the next round and instead of pushing from the back of the case, it hit the middle of the case which shoved the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber and jammed the gun.

I took video and saw no evidence of limp wristing but I'm not sure where to start. My thought is with the hotter loads the barrel is unlocking early and the case is still tight in the chamber causing the extractor to come off the rim of the case? Maybe I need a heavier recoil spring?Extractor looks to be in good shape and gets a good tight grip on the case. Ejector looks fine as well. Seems to happen randomly with all 3 mags. Any thoughts would be helpful,thanks. Pics to come.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry don't know why it posted early with just the first paragraph. Gun is completely stock and new. It now has around 400rds through it. It seems a little better but I still get a failure to extract or eject every 30 rounds or so. I've been running mostly the sig load, FMJ 180g @ 1250fps.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
First pics are empty case halfway out of chamber. This I recreated with two empty cases for the picture. Firing pin is out because I just I just reassembled it with the pin in the fired position.
The other pic only happened twice, cartridge halfway in mag, with bullet end jammed into top of chamber with slide resting on middle of case.

Attachments

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update. Bought a 22lb recoil spring, stainless guide rod, and gen4 adapter. 200 rds and not one failure to extract/eject. Problem seems to be solved. Cycles powder puff and hot loads well.

Reading through the internet im seeing a lot of people switching to stronger springs, which seems to fix whatever issue they're having. Which has me wondering, after all these years why doesn't glock put a stronger spring in the G20?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.