Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a gen 4 glock 20 the other day and after cleaning and lubing it took it to the range. I started out with light loads (180g American eagle and sellier & bellot) for about 100 rounds before going to some hotter stuff (sig 180g, grizzly 180g, and buffalo bore 180JHP and 220g hard cast. I cleaned it before going to the hotter rounds.

So the malfunction I'm seeing is about every 15 to 30 rounds after firing, the case is left half way inside the chamber, with the slide resting behind the next round in the mag which won't feed because of the previous case is still halfway in the chamber. This seemed to happen much more often with the grizzly, sig, and buffalo bore rounds.

Twice I also had the slide start to feed the next round and instead of pushing from the back of the case, it hit the middle of the case which shoved the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber and jammed the gun.

I took video and saw no evidence of limp wristing but I'm not sure where to start. My thought is with the hotter loads the barrel is unlocking early and the case is still tight in the chamber causing the extractor to come off the rim of the case? Maybe I need a heavier recoil spring?Extractor looks to be in good shape and gets a good tight grip on the case. Ejector looks fine as well. Seems to happen randomly with all 3 mags. Any thoughts would be helpful,thanks. Pics to come.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Failure to extract with every load? Is G20 completely stock? New or used?
Edit: Your edit answer my questions.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry don't know why it posted early with just the first paragraph. Gun is completely stock and new. It now has around 400rds through it. It seems a little better but I still get a failure to extract or eject every 30 rounds or so. I've been running mostly the sig load, FMJ 180g @ 1250fps.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
First pics are empty case halfway out of chamber. This I recreated with two empty cases for the picture. Firing pin is out because I just I just reassembled it with the pin in the fired position.
The other pic only happened twice, cartridge halfway in mag, with bullet end jammed into top of chamber with slide resting on middle of case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm not sure in your case. If the extractor "looks" normal doesn't always mean it's ok. I'd probably do a slide tear down and look for anything that might be screwing with the extractor tension. Maybe call Glock also, a trip to GA might be in order on a new pistol. A 22lb captured flat spring RSA certainly will reduce slide velocity too, can't hurt. I run that in a G20SF without issues. Your problem could also clear up with more range time. Good luck

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My stock 20SF had difficulty... at times... with Underwood 200gr and 220gr Hard Cast and 200gr FMJ. I also have a 22# Wolff recoil spring, still had difficulty at times with same ammo.

I went back to stock and the pistol ran DT 200gr Hard Cast, Hornady 175gr JHP and Underwood 165gr Gold Dot JHP... great. These are my current ammo choices and they feed reliably.

Many have found the G20 variants to be a little... ammo sensitive. I would suggest you find what feeds the best... in stock form. If you want to go to 22#, go ahead. Hope you find your ideal ammo!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sorry don't know why it posted early with just the first paragraph. Gun is completely stock and new. It now has around 400rds through it. It seems a little better but I still get a failure to extract or eject every 30 rounds or so. I've been running mostly the sig load, FMJ 180g @ 1250fps.

I have a 29SF and I went straight to a Wolff guide rod and calibration spring pack. I got it mainly for when we go hiking and planned to carry Buffalo Bore 220gr Hard Cast when we do. I decided to start with the 21lb spring and would adjust from there if I had any issues. I didn't, the 21lb spring successfully cycled the Buffalo Bore, my SD round which is Speer Gold Dot 200gr GDHP, and my range ammo which is 180gr Freedom Munitions or 180gr Remington UMC. All shot out of the stock barrel. The BB will be the hottest thing I shoot and with the cost it won't be too often. Just enough to keep me on my toes with it if I ever needed to use it when hiking.

However with you have a 20 and the single spring RSA, your results and needs may be different than mine with 29 and dual spring rsa. Look for user WeeWilly, he was very helpful to me when I had plenty of 10mm questions and has a 20 with plenty of user experience with it.

Also, first thing I would ask and check is your extractor spring and striker block and if you ever had the slide plate off and extractor plunger out make sure you put the spring back on right, next make sure your striker block moves freely. You could have some grit or a burr in there that may intermittently be affecting the extractor to move freely. Wouldn't hurt to take them out, inspect, and clean up. Here is link to a quick video showing removal. I don't know this person just first video that came up shows removal. Good luck!

View: https://youtu.be/MurAKjLsp9o

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Had the exact same problem with my 2016 G42 (had the updates). It was the extractor. Right about the 30 round mark in a shooting session, failure to extract.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Is the gun new, or just new to you?

Did you get any of the described failures with the lighter range fodder, or only the hotter stuff?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update. Bought a 22lb recoil spring, stainless guide rod, and gen4 adapter. 200 rds and not one failure to extract/eject. Problem seems to be solved. Cycles powder puff and hot loads well.

Reading through the internet im seeing a lot of people switching to stronger springs, which seems to fix whatever issue they're having. Which has me wondering, after all these years why doesn't glock put a stronger spring in the G20?

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Just an update. Bought a 22lb recoil spring, stainless guide rod, and gen4 adapter. 200 rds and not one failure to extract/eject. Problem seems to be solved. Cycles powder puff and hot loads well.

Reading through the internet im seeing a lot of people switching to stronger springs, which seems to fix whatever issue they're having. Which has me wondering, after all these years why doesn't glock put a stronger spring in the G20?
Good to hear it is working.

I use a 22lb flat wire ISMI spring on a stainless guide rod on my G20, but that was to keep the slide from battering my frame with my hottest loads, 1300+ fps for a 180gr jacketed slug. I didn't have any extraction or feed issues with stock, just the slide slamming the frame.

My 22lb spring also cycles my lightest loads, even 40S&W target loads, so for me, it just stays in all the time. Hopefully your extraction issues won't come back.

·
I'm not retired
7,892 Posts

I've been curious about this, myself, at times...why not stronger RSA's? If the slide moves too fast after the shot, the extractor can definitely rip off of the case rim, even if nothing is wrong with the extractor. The plus with a heavier duty RSA is in many cases, it will still cycle standard pressure ammo if your grip is good. It merely slows the slide enough to let the case pressure come down enough for the case to be extracted. If you're having inertia feeds (round is fed from mag without the stripper rail picking it up and it rams the case already in the chamber before extraction...aka 'double feed'), which is more common in these kinds of calibers (powerful semi auto boolits), you may want to choke up on your grip, some, especially when the mag only has a couple cartridges left in it and +2 especially with hot ammo. I'd also check to see if you get these double feeds with all your mags or is it just one...it may be nothing more than a defective mag spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts