Glock 20 chrony results

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by countryrebel, Jun 18, 2007.

1. countryrebel

countryrebel

Remington 180gr MC

Hornady 155xtp

Old winchester 175gr silvertip hollow point

2. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Dang,im suprised with the ST velocities. Thats pretty good.

3. BuffaloBo

BuffaloBo

I'm assuming factory rounds. If so, how old? I bought a box of silvertips about about 5 or 6 years ago. When I chronoed them they were about 1175 fps out of a stock G20.

4. bfett

bfett

When I chronied from my G20 I got 1024avg for the UMC and 1199avg for the Win ST's... My ST's were the old white box stuff.

T

5. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I chrono'ed slivertip out of a stock G20. My number match up very well with the above post. 1174ft/sec.

-Dana

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

thats a pretty tight set of chrono numbers.. and i happen to think 180 at 1050 approximately is a fine compromise between power and recoil.

like those numbers. :)

7. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

Here's what I got from ST's and UMC in my G20...

Winchester 175 gr. Silvertip HP
    1- 1141.8
    2- 1130.9
    3- 1140.9
    4- 1145.4
    5- 1144.6

Average-1140.7 ES-14.5 Energy- 506

Remington 180 UMC 180 Gr FMJ
    1- 1024.7
    2- 1038.2
    3- 1029.8
    4- 1037.4
    5- 1046.1

Average-1035.2 ES-21.4 Energy- 428

8. MarinePride

MarinePride

That UMC stuff is loaded on the light side for sure. I chronographed some earlier in the year and got very similar readings.

9. BuffaloBo

BuffaloBo

Yeah, that's why it's a complete waste of money to buy very underpowered "white box" type ammo for 10mm which is waaaay overpriced. Of course, that's if you can even find it on the shelves.

That's why I bought a 40 conversion barrel early on and shoot plenty of 40's out of my 20. For real 10mm performance, ya gotta reload, and that's why we're all here!

10. 5252

5252 Witness this...

I've noticed excellent accuracy with this ammo out of my Witness. Recoil is moderate. I ran out of my reloads for an IPSC match this other week and had to use some and did OK.

11. GooberPP

GooberPP

Apparently I have not gotten around to chronographing Silvertips in my 20. However, I did get an average of 1130 from my 3.6" barreled Witness compact. As far as I know, they are the highest energy round from a large manufacturer (excluding DoubleTap).
    I was getting about 100 fps faster with 180 gr bullet over my favorite load of Longshot.
    I've got to get back to the pit.

12. GooberPP

GooberPP

I got to the pit and came back:

180 gr FMJ - 1243 fps
    180 gr JHP - 1254 fps
    175 gr Win Silvertip - 1178 fps

13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Damn...your silver tips are 4 fps on average than mine. I am send mine back...

-Dana

14. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

175 grain factory Winchester Silvertips average 1128fps in my G20.

15. windplex

windplex

My G24 40 cal with 6" glock barrel tested with blazer 180gr FMJ (rated at 100fps) nothing special
    80% 1150fps and about
    20% 1100fps

I do not mean to insult but wish to understand:
    most of the 10mm speeds sound a bit slow to me. Are these rounds being lightened versus the original power ratings?

What happened to the 200grain at a hansom speed?

16. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

No insult taken. The facts are what they are. I am having a hard time finding any meaningfull difference from my G23 and my G20. I'm thinking a G22 would almost equal my G20 with a lot easier to find brass and better quality brass.

17. windplex

windplex

I wish this thread came earlier.

At a idpa match in the group next to mine a fellow was shooting full load 10mm; they had a unique sound from all other rounds: 45acp, 40, 9mm. And from the sound I believed that it was much more powerful than my 40s I was shooting (the same as listed above).

Had I known then I would have asked his source/brand.

18. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Factory 10mm has been watered down by weanie lawyers.

My lot of first-year production Winchester 10mm STs runs 1290fps on average (chrono was something like: 1314, 1265, 1296, 1285). The next 6 rounds in the magazine were fired into a Level II vest. The vest stopped all the rounds, but there was nasty backface deformation. (All the silvertips' openings "bit" off a piece of kevlar and closed in around it, and the outside of the bullet shape was "rivetted" if you know what I mean.) Primers were pretty flat, but not too flat. (I wouldn't load anything hotter than the way those primers looked, but they were not overloaded...)

The first article I read about the 10mm was in a 1982 issue of Guns & Ammo, and I remember the writer being so happy that because this was a modern round and there were no weak, old guns chambered for it, all the gun manufacturers would make guns for the 10mm that could handle the pressure, and we'd always have access to a nice, full-power semi-auto cartridge... Oh well.... I think what really happened was that the gun manufacturers got on the ammo makers and said, "our guns can't handle a life-long continuous diet of full-power 10mm, so can you lighten the loads up a bit?" After the first couple years, they did so. Little did they know that chronographs would get so inexpensive...

Then, of course, the Miami shoot-out happened, and no one wanted full-power 10mm anymore... Anyone remember why the FBI went to the 10mm to begin with? Because the 9mm failed so miserably, that when the higher-ups asked their range officer what was better, he said, "this new 10mm cartridge fires a 170gr JHP at 1350fps - That will stop a bad guy!" After they adopted it, the wimpier agents complained they couldn't handle the recoil and a study was done. That's when Dr. Fackler "proved" that a 180 at 950 was just as good as a 180 at 1200fps.... The rest is history. FBI loads. 40 S&W. 10mm becomes the unloved, step-child, even though it was the originator and a better-performing cartridge, no matter what some jello says...

I recently saw a reloading manual that showed 35,000 psi as the max for the 10mm. Has SAAMI joined this stupid bandwagon and lowered the standard pressure down from 37,500psi? (Not that I care. I load to the original specs as much as I want to, and load lighter for plinking - mainly for extended brass life.)

19. windplex

windplex

What do laywers have to do with full power 10mm versus watered down 10mm loads from ammo manufacturers?

Seems to me that there is a market opportunity for ammo makers to supply genuine 10mm full power factor for those who desire it. The G20 was designed for that load and as far as I know it can handle a steady diet of full power 10mm.

So the question is why are ammo manufacturers not offering full power loads? When there is a market it usually does not take long for some company to fill it. Does "doubletapp" not offer full power loads anymore? I thought they did?

20. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Two things:
    1. Lawyers make up a significant portion of the FBI. They couldn't handle full-power 10mm (which, to be fair, may be more of a training issue, than any inherent deficiency in lawyers), so "FBI-loads" watered down what the 10mm ought to be.

2. Liability lawsuits, and slick-lawyer arguments. Just look at any number of the millions of silly lawsuits recently where goofy arguments are made, resulting in wins, when there should be none. Believe me, lawyers have gone through the firearms industry with a fine-tooth comb (thanks most lately to the spate of specious lawsuits by cities against gun manufacturers - though that argument is mostly centered around distribution), and have pointed out ways for companies to reduce liability exposure.

This relates directly to the 10mm: Lawyer for the complainant says, "so, why, mr. ballistician, when Dr. Fackler has scientifically proven that FBI-loads are just as good as full-power loads, do you load full-power 10mm ammunition, when gun manufacturers X, Y, & Z have specifically told you that they're guns cannot handle a steady diet of the full-power ammo???" (You're probably thinking, like me, that it's really the gun company's fault for not making more durable guns, but in frivilous lawsuits it's often more important what kind of an image you can paint and how strong your argument is, rather than any real value to your point...) This little scenario hasn't actually played out, but the lawyers for Winchester certainly saw the potential for it to be loser, and recommended the load be less powerful.

Well, let me start off by saying I agree with you about the G20, but keep in mind that the Bren Ten was supposed to be made "heavy-duty" to handle the robustness of the 10mm, and it had slide cracking problems. (The article I mentioned above was in 1982, and the only gun available was the Bren Ten, and the comment the writer made applied to the Bren Ten too... Or, so he thought...) I'm not saying the G-20 would be as bad as the Bren Ten, but very few people have 30,000+ rounds of DoubleTap or original-spec Silvertips through their G-20s... Of course, no gun lives forever, except for the one not shot at all, and what fun would that be?!?

Double Tap certainly offers full-capability 10mm loads. The best, IMO. Cor-Bon I believe still offers a 180gr JSP bonded-core "hunting load" that is also full-power. Winchester's Silvertips, while not "full-power" are certainly not wimpy FBI-loads. But it gets hard to find anything else on the market. PMC used to load a couple hot versions of 10mm, but they've been bought out and changed locations and distribution, I believe, so who knows what will happen there...? I have some Triton Quik-Shoks that are full-power 10mm, and they are nice and hot, but Triton went under. They recently were bought out also, and rumor is they will start selling again very soon (or already have), but who knows what the new Triton's 10mm will be like...

Lastly, I'm not sure how much demand is there. 10mm certainly has a smaller following than 45, 9mm, and 40S&W, but it appears to be growing. Those who have bemoaned the demise of full-power 10mm ammo have generally gotten into reloading, so they are not constrained by the availability of factory ammo. Many 10mm followers are here on GT, and visit the 10mm Reloading Forum for answers or to provide them. What little demand there is for full-power 10mm is handily provided for by Double Tap. Mike has a good range of choices in 10mm ammo from heavy solids for penetration to expanders for both hunting and self-defense.

Does that make sense?