Glock 20 blowout at 6'oclock position

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mbogojoe, Feb 17, 2007.

1. mbogojoe

mbogojoe Guest

Hi,
    I posted here many months ago when the new (factory new) glock i purchased blew up at the 6 o’clock position on the second shot with DT ammo. I tried finding my original post so i could paste it here but could not, the thread was shutdown after about one day. Everyone started blaming double tape and others blamed glock and it got ugly.
    At any rate i just wanted to follow up with the results of my discussions with both companies:
    Neither glock nor Double tap could tell me what the cause (i must have pulled the trigger wrong) was and after some discussion glock repaired the gun for free.
    I talked to Mike M. at DT and he was very nice and said that what ever happens he would make sure that i was not left holding the bag (broken gun). Glock on the other hand was not very agreeable about the situation. After many phone calls they gave in.
    All is well that ends well, my G20 is back in my hands and i put a new barrel in it, weather that’s needed or not I don't know but it gives me that little extra reassurance when i pull the trigger. In other words it helped me get back on the horse..
    As i mentioned in my orginal thread I still think that both companies produce a great product.

2. noway

noway

3. Davis

Davis

Glad to hear your up and going again.
    I once had a case failure a looooong time ago with my G20 , my fault and Glock fixed my gun after I sent it to them with all my info ...Now a proud owner of a "G****US serial number.
    I am happy the hear what Mike told you too. Sorry you had to work on Glock a bit to get it done though..

I keep KKM barrels in my 2 G20's ever since I blew a case at the 6 oclock. I have now shot thousands of rounds through both thanks to my Xl650 and haven't seen a prolem since.

Again great news !

4. watsoncb

watsoncb CLM

I was interested in replacing my G20 barrel with a KKM. When I visited the Glockmeister KKM page, I noticed that they do not recommend KKM barrels for CCW Glocks.

Since I do CCW my G20 I have hesitated on making the switch.

If I could ask one other question.... I also noticed the recommendation to change out the extractor etc. when going with a KKM barrel.

I have avoided DT ammo for CCW fearing that if I should need to fire, using "standard" manufacture's ammo would keep me in less of a legal limbo. :shocked:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

5. mbogojoe

mbogojoe Guest

Thanks!
    Yeah sometimes S**t happens you deal with it and move on.
    I wrote a letter when I sent it back to Glock explaining what happened and sent a copy to Mike also. My request was for a new gun but we meet in the middle. I honestly didn't care what the cause was i just wanted a gun back that was safe and worked.

Now i just need to get more people convinced that the 10MM is the best auto round there is and buy one also!!! It was good to see it featured in the Glock Magazine..

6. mbogojoe

mbogojoe Guest

I think that a new extractor is just a recommendation from some people i don’t think it is "needed". Someone correct me if i am wrong.

As for being in legal limbo i think that DT can be considered as commercially produced ammo which is the only requirement of Glock?? That could be a whole nother thread i am sure. Also i think legal acction should be a last resort and only for a good reason, the replacement of a 700 gun is not worth it for you or glock. If i lost a finger it might be worth it....

One thing for sure you dont want it to happen with any ammo, it's not fun. I guess it is just one of those risks (small)that you have to understand with when shooting. Their is the potential for problems when dealing with explosives.

If anyone is to scared to shoot theirs i will for sure take it off of their hands for free;)

7. watsoncb

watsoncb CLM

Make no mistake. I love my G20. It is one of the best firearms that I own. It is nice to have the biggest bear in the woods!

:banana: :perfect10: :bowdown:

8. Davis

Davis

I carry my G20 as my primary CCW with a KKM barrel and Win 175 silvertip HP.

9. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

What explosives? Gun powder is a propellant. Big difference.

10. cookand

cookand War Eagle!!

DT is no different than the big companies except for size. Same permits and requirements. No difference.

Except the exceptional CS of DT.:thumbsup:

11. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Guest

12. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever Guest

It's a known fact that the Glock can fire when slightly out of battery. This, along with the fact that there's the usual un-supported portion of the case with the Glock design is all the more reason to use an aftermarket barrel with better casehead support and a strong recoil spring. As the striker cocks, it tugs against the recoil spring, so naturally, the weaker the spring, the greater the chance of a "kaboom". I'd venture a guess, that 9-10 of these occurances could be avoided by simply keeping a watch on your fired brass occasionally and whenever using a new load. If you see casehead bulges either switch to a different ammo that doesnt produce them, or go with an aftermarket barrel that has better casehead support.

13. watsoncb

watsoncb CLM

I have replaced the recoil guide rod with a THE rod, installing a new Glock G20 sping. I just thought a steel guide rod was warranted in 10mm.

Thanks for all the input, I think a KKM 10mm barrel is next.

14. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever Guest

I have THE s/s rods and ISMI #20 or #22lb. springs in both my G20 and 21. I've experimented with several guiderod/spring combos and this is my favorite set up yet.

15. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Glad to hear that they took care of you :thumbsup:

16. cookand

cookand War Eagle!!

Don't overlook Storm Lake barrels either. I have a 6" version for my G20 and think its great. Of course, KKM is great too, but SL is cheaper.:thumbsup: