Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a glock 21 gen 3 that I’ve had for under a year with few hundred rounds through it. Upon inspection during cleaning, I found a couple small nicks/chips on the inside of the slide (one in the rsa ring area, and one on the stripper bar). Seemed fine functionally, but it did bother me it being a brand new gun, so I contacted glock and they replaced the entire gun (they were out of stock of slides).

The strange thing is the replacement has a “chip” in one of the exact same areas as the one I sent in. This makes me wonder if it is either a chip at all or if it is intentionally there. Can anyone who has a new or well kept glock 21/20 gen 3 check this area to see if it is a chip or not? My glock 26 does not appear to have this so it is very confusing.

Gas Electric blue Circle Auto part Automotive tire

Rectangle Material property Eyewear Tints and shades Automotive lighting

·
Registered
11,866 Posts
I'm guessing tooling or machining mark. I say that because it looks like there are also tooling marks elsewhere on that slide, and because the replacement also has the same mark.

I haven't seen anything that looks like that on any of mine. Or I haven't noticed, I'll say that.

one on the stripper bar
What is that?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I had a Browning High Power MK III in 40 S&W. I was new to reloading at the time (1997, early ‘98). I noticed primer flow with bulging cases and the gun did something while I was shooting it. I called Browning and they asked for ammo samples, spent cases, and the gun. An engineer went over that gun and ammo in detail. They sent a full report stating the gun was not damaged, they detected no cracking anywhere, and that the reloads were fine. It was an amazing level of customer service.

Send your gun to Glock. They will look at it and verify it is safe to shoot. If not, they will likely make it right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm guessing tooling or machining mark. I say that because it looks like there are also tooling marks elsewhere on that slide, and because the replacement also has the same mark.

I haven't seen anything that looks like that on any of mine. Or I haven't noticed, I'll say that.

What is that?
It may be a tooling mark, but there are no other marks other than that spot for the new replacement. I’m guessing it is either a tooling mark as you said or an intentional “relief cut” to help the barrel clear that area. What’s weird is I don’t see this on any of the 9mm glocks I’ve checked out (glock 19, 26), so if it is intentional, it is only on certain models.

Also, The stripper bar is the bar in the middle of the slide. Behind the barrel. I believe it loads the next round into the chamber. Weird name but that’s apparently what it’s called.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my 1993 Gen2 G20. Looks fairly similar to yours. Sorry for the dirty appearance but today was range day.
Oh, and this is how mine looks after roughly 150,000 rounds through it. I bought it new and have shot it almost weekly since then. Hope the pic helps! View attachment 1113412
That looks very similar to mine that’s brand new, thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had a glock 21 gen 3 that I’ve had for under a year with few hundred rounds through it. Upon inspection during cleaning, I found a couple small nicks/chips on the inside of the slide (one in the rsa ring area, and one on the stripper bar). Seemed fine functionally, but it did bother me it being a brand new gun, so I contacted glock and they replaced the entire gun (they were out of stock of slides).

The strange thing is the replacement has a “chip” in one of the exact same areas as the one I sent in. This makes me wonder if it is either a chip at all or if it is intentionally there. Can anyone who has a new or well kept glock 21/20 gen 3 check this area to see if it is a chip or not? My glock 26 does not appear to have this so it is very confusing.

View attachment 1113370
View attachment 1113369
If they replaced the whole gun then Glock thought something was wrong! Looks like a small machining defect that is being repeated in a lot of slides.
If not a manufacturer defect it is a weak spot in the part.
I wouldn't want that in a new gun either.
Send that back too.

·
Registered
919 Posts
@biscut53,
I've never owned a firearm that I have enjoyed shooting as much as my G20. I also own a Delta Elite, a Springfield/ Peters Stahl 6" Omega, and recently got a Rock Island Ultra FS 10mm in FDE.
I have been a huge fan of the 10mm for years and enjoy the many variations of pistols to shoot it, but none of the others hit the sweet spot like my G20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That makes me nervous. I have a G30S (.45) it does not have that
Wouldn’t worry about it if yours doesn’t have it. Both of mine came that way brand new, not from shooting, and they seem to only be on gen 3 or older glocks from what I have seen. The gen 4 and newer models like yours have a different rsa that changes the way that area is machined.

·
Banned
424 Posts
Wouldn’t worry about it if yours doesn’t have it. Both of mine came that way brand new, not from shooting, and they seem to only be on gen 3 or older glocks from what I have seen. The gen 4 and newer models like yours have a different rsa that changes the way that area is machined.
Ah i see. Will note.

·
I'm not retired
8,498 Posts
It's not a tool mark. It's a broken piece of plastic in an insignificant area. Looking at it, it is miniscule. I get why someone would ask but it isn't an issue.

That piece of plastic that is broken off has NOTHING to do with the integrity of the gun.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts