close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 19c or 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cangler, Mar 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. cangler

cangler Republican!!

For my first gun, im thinking about getting a g19 but not sure if i should go with the compensated or regular. from what ive read about the compensated versions, is there less recoil... so i figure why not. would there be any cons going with the c model over the regular model?

2. SHG21

SHG21

great choice in gun. go with the regular model.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Not enough recoil in the 9mm to justify a compensator. You'll love the regular G19, it's what my daughter carries. Excellent choice. Welcome to the forums!

4. BKG-22

BKG-22 Millennium Member

Lot's of existing threads on this one.

I agree with the previous posters. IMHO, the 9mm does not merit the 'c' model. However, that being said, I own a 19c.

It was only $30 more and the shop I bought it from had both on the shelf. I also bought an OEM Glock 19 barrel (non-'c' model) and dropped that in so I really have both G19 models.

If the shop had both models in stock, side-by-side, I would purchase compensated model. Not because it is a necessity, but because it is another option for me if I so choose.

Would I order one specifically with that feature??? That depends on a lot of other factors. But since I already have one, probably not.

5. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

I agree regular G19. It is a soft shooter. Just train often and you will be good to go. Great choice for a first gun. Be careful, these things tend to multiply!

6. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Plain 19

The compensator, besides a little flash, does nothing in my shooting experience with it.

7. Trvlngnrs

Trvlngnrs

I vote for the non-compensated model. If you use the gun for protection, you will learn of the compressed ready position. See the third picture in this link: http://www.imakenews.com/blauertactical/e_article000417300.cfm?x=b11,0,w

If you shoot from the compressed ready position where do you think the hot gases will be going that are vented out of the ports?

8. Ugly_Jerry

Ugly_Jerry

Get it without the compensator. My Glock 19 is one of the softest shooting guns I have.

9. cangler

cangler Republican!!

thanks guys, it looks like the answer is clear.

10. muckdawg24

muckdawg24

I asked the same question to a dealer and he said if I was using it for self defense it might not be wise to get the compensated model as the muzzle flash at night could "blind" you temporarily and prohibit a good followup shot.

11. HexHead

HexHead

Get the regular one. If you're worried about the recoil from a moderately sized 9mm pistol, you might want to rethink this whole thing. :supergrin:

12. kennyv

kennyv

I too would get the regular one. G19 is a great choice.

13. ambluemax

ambluemax

increased muzzle flash and increased noise would be cons. I've shot a 19c, its pretty sweet, but I'd buy the regular model

14. deathpriest

deathpriest

Fired both. Cosmetically, I like the G19 better. I did not notice any recoil difference between G19 and G19c. I would buy a G19 RTF2 if I had the choice and extra $$.

Blessings

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

On the upside, there is no real world downside to ccw, or on the other end of the spectrum, duty use. No night blindness, flamethrowing, noise, problems with debris when firing from retention, etc., at least when using factory ammo. On the downside, only more accomplished shooters are likely to feel a difference from a ported model, particularly in 9mm.

16. Cambo

Cambo

As the owner of a 17C, 19 with 3 port compensator and a 34 with a 4 port barrel, I can tell you that muzzle flip is reduced. It's a matter of physics - gas venting out the top has an upward force. As the gas exits through the top, it has an equal downward force pushing the gun down. It is true that certain loads/calibers will be more effective at this concept, but there is nothing wrong with porting/comping a 9mm.

17. glockfan5

glockfan5

I really get tired of hearing this statement. 'Not enough recoil in a 9mm' -- FOR YOU. This is nothing against AZ Husker, many people say that. But everyone feels and perceives recoil completely differently.

In a perfect world, a person should go to a range and rent both models and see which works best.

Thread after thread talk about the ignorance of dealers. All guns have a muzzle flash that could blind you. This theme that ported guns will blind you seems to have multiplied exponentially across the internet. Should I not have a .357 Magnum for home defense then? Again, nothing against muckdawg24.

The only logical argument against a 19C for carry is if you have to fire it while it's very close to your body, the gases might flare up to your face. Of course I haven't seen any studies to prove that one way OR the other.

18. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

The C model means more Q-tips to clean.:rofl:

19. dday27

dday27

Get your slf a C model and a plain non ported barrel and have both....

20. cangler

cangler Republican!!

I went to one of my local gun shops in plano, tx and handled the g19, they don't normally carry the compensated versions. anyways, the g19 felt nice... great size and comfortable. pretty much what i expected. the guy behind the counter said they sale more g19's than any other gun. i also handled the xdm 9mm, and it felt good too... but it seems you got way more options with the g19.