Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Glock made a “1911” style pistol, no external safety, striker fired, like a few other companies are doing, would you buy it? Basically a Glock with no finger grooves, and 1911 grip angle. Obviously not a double mag, would have to be a single stack. I’d buy that, over the 19X.

·
I'm not retired
7,888 Posts
If Glock made a “1911” style pistol, no external safety, striker fired, like a few other companies are doing, would you buy it? Basically a Glock with no finger grooves, and 1911 grip angle. Obviously not a double mag, would have to be a single stack. I’d buy that, over the 19X.
It would either be a big G36 or a single stack G41...take your pick. It should be called the G45. I'd buy at least 3 of them.

Grip angle is a mere couple degrees off between the 1911 and Glock. What makes the Glock shoot high off a draw compared to a 1911, and this is with instinctive shooting...not a sight ref, is the hump on the Glock's rear strap. Put an arched MSH on a 1911 and at 7 yds, off a draw, you'll be hitting about an inch higher with the Glock. It's pretty darn close, long as the 1911 has the arched MSH. Finger grooves?? Meh. I'd grind them off if it came with them. I couldn't for the life of me think why they'd come with finger grooves. Slide would need to be G41 size, not G21. Better yet...call it the Gen 5 G45..............game, set, and match.

I can't believe Glock hasn't already built one.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I like Glocks that look and function like Glocks. Even the recent trend for various frame colors that cater to the shooter for whom cosmetics is most important is distressing. I never want to see Glock doing an imitation of a "1911" range toy. Count me out every which way to Sunday.

·
I'm not retired
7,888 Posts
I like Glocks that look and function like Glocks. Even the recent trend for various frame colors that cater to the shooter for whom cosmetics is most important is distressing. I never want to see Glock doing an imitation of a "1911" range toy. Count me out every which way to Sunday.
Not an imitation, but a similar pistol...much like the P220. It'd have to be all Glock, not the Glock 1911 joke pics that are out there. I picture the gun exactly as a single stack G41. Personally, I loved the width of the G36, so to have that in a full sized .45 acp would be awesome. JMHO

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was issued a Gen 2 22 when our department went to glocks. When Gen 3 came out, I got one cause of the finger grooves. All we were allowed to carry was Glock 22, 23, 27, or Smith/Colt 38 snubs off duty. When I retired, I tried everything but a Glock. Little over a year later, I’m back to a Glock 19/4. I have some nice/expensive 1911s. What it came down to is, I show off my 1911s, I carry my 19 to protect myself. I’m just saying, if Glock did a “1911l”, single stack/grip angle, I’d want one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m not sure either, but I would buy one. Think of all the hype the 19X has. My local Rulal King is selling the 19X for 599, and I’m seeing em on trading sights for $500 already. A Glock 1911........

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
To me, striker fired - no safety removes it from being even remotely 1911 style pistol. When I think 1911 style, I think P938 or EDC X9.

I'm currently avoiding polymer purchases at the moment. However, I'd give serious consideration to a GLOCK 43 stretched to G19 height and length.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
The thing that makes a 1911 a 1911 in my eyes is the trigger. Without that trigger (and the safety that makes it reasonable) its just a skinny Glock.

So, no. I wouldn't want one.

FWIW since I've shot both so much Glocks and 1911s are my best natural "pointers", my hands just fit with both and no adjustment is needed grabbing one off the table or holster. I've done that drill many times and both just shoot for me.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
What is with your obsession with labeling anything other than an OEM Glock as a "range toy", and why is it that in your eyes it seems as if an OEM Glock is the only handgun capable of providing a person with "serious weapon" self defense capabilities? Surely you can't honestly believe that, but then again some people are set in their ways, eh?...

...your very strict one sidedness on this issue has caused me to have thoughts of all things, your clothes closet, in which I envision you having 3 of the same black three piece suits, 10 pairs of the same black dress slacks, 10 of the same white dress shirts, 10 of the same black ties, 20 of the same white t-shirts, 20 pairs of the same white boxers, 20 pairs of the same black dress socks, 6 pairs of the same black dress shoes, and 3 of the same black belts ;)

Introducing you to the idea of adding a mauve or blue dress shirt to your wardrobe I'm sure would be just as much heresy and as totally out of the question as the suggestion of you ever owning an OD Glock, even an entirely OEM OD G31 at that? Oh the horror, the absolute horror of it all, LOL!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seems interesting nobody has interjected the Hudson H9/H9A (coming soon) into this conversation. The premise is....what would Browning have designed if he had access to today's tech and materials. I think the Hudson is an interesting approach to the look and feel of a 1911 with higher capacity.

I have an H9 (back at the factory working out some gremlins - I knew this would be the case as an early-adopter) and love the way it shoots overall. The grip angle is way more 1911 than Glock 17/19, the trigger is interesting with its safety pined at the bottom (not an issue for me, others don't like it) and its shoots extremely flat. The H9 is HEAVY though, and though I enjoy it for a range pistol/home defense piece, I am not sure just yet what kind of market is emerging for it (the kind of a pistol without an explicit market segment thing). I think it is a novel approach to the OP's thought process. Will it gain foothold? Hard to say at this point.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts