Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum - happy to be here.

My Gen 4 Glock 19 was my first handgun purchase after I landed a professional job about two years ago - I got my CCW soon after and have carried it almost daily since then ("almost" because lately I've been alternating with a S&W 642, depending on the attire and environment). Over the time that I've had it, it's proved to be a marvel of reliability - I've run it through all kinds of ammo from the cheap Russian stuff to the Hornady Critical Defense that I use for carry and it's never jammed (other than an occasional stovepipe from limp-wristing by new shooters I've introduced to the sport).

I have about 1,000 rounds of Winchester white box 9mm rounds that I was gifted by a neighbor. I'm certain this is factory ammo (not reloaded). I've been shooting this stuff for the past half year or so at the rate of approx. 50 rounds/week, give or take. I have had no problems up until the other day when I loaded up a few magazines, and after about 100 rounds (and partway through a 32-round "happy stick") I heard a strange *pop* - I stopped shooting, unchambered the next round, and field stripped the pistol. Sure enough, when I looked through the barrel I couldn't see light on the other end. Taking a brass rod, I determined a bullet was stuck about 3/4 the way down the barrel. Lucky I didn't shoot any more or I would have surely lost the gun (and possibly injured myself).

I poured some Break Free down muzzle of the barrel, let it sit for about half an hour, then did the same from the breech side. I wrapped the end of a brass rod with duct tape to fill as much of the barrel area as possible, inserted it down the muzzle and tapped the bullet out using a hammer. The barrel looked fine, and I've shot since then to confirm that accuracy hasn't been affected.

Now, I realize this is an ammo problem, and not a gun problem. I also realize that this is an almost inevitable experience at some point in a shooter's career.

I'm wondering - has anyone experienced a similar issue with Winchester white box or another particular brand of ammunition? Also, how often do you experience squibs, and how do you deal with them? I was about five minutes of tapping away from just "biting the bullet," so to speak, and bringing it in to a gunsmith.

Cheers,
Leif

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
WWB ammo has a spotty reputation. I've found rounds that looked like they bypassed the final crimp stage of loading. I think they need to wake up the drunken monkey at the end of the quality control line.

Reactions: Leif

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Times change.
When the G19 was new on the market I got one with some bugs. I sent it back in with a note about its faults and the ammo that I had been shooting, a cheap foreign import.
They fixed the gun but included an admonition to shoot better quality ammunition... like the WWB they tested the guns with at the shop.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I'm wondering - has anyone experienced a similar issue with Winchester white box or another particular brand of ammunition? Also, how often do you experience squibs, and how do you deal with them? I was about five minutes of tapping away from just "biting the bullet," so to speak, and bringing it in to a gunsmith.

Cheers,
Leif
I've only personally witnessed a single squib in my entire 20+ years of shooting. I sold a friend of mine a Sig226 in 9mm. I had a few thousand rounds through the gun over the years. His first time out using the gun, he had a squib identical to yours. A soft pop, no new round chambered, took it apart to find a squib 2/3rds down the barrel. Cleared the squib and hasn't had an issue since.

The ammo he was using? WWB from wally world. You can't find crappier ammo. (well.. maybe).

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I've bought bulk pack WWB where I opened the box and found loose bullets and brass that were never mated during the manufacturing process along with loose powder in the bottom of the package.

This was back around 2013, when supply was at an all time low and demand at an all time high. Horrible QC to say the least.

The only 9mm I've shot that was just as bad was Perfecta (from Walmart as well) during the same time period. One would go off light and with hardly any recoil and the next round would sound like a .357 magnum with a lot of flash and percussion. Horrible ammo that I never shot again because I was afraid it was going to blow up my G17. 20 out of 50 rounds per box felt like they were 30% proof loads. Crazy variances.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I've been pretty fortunate with ammo, even the cheap stuff. I can only recall one box of ammo that gave me a problem and that was some .40 American Eagle. I only had the three magazines that came with the gun and experienced the same issues with all three. The guns was well broken in and had no previous issues. No problems since with any brand, including American Eagle.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
I guess I have been lucky as I have not had a squib load. As suggested your barrel and gun should be fine since you caught it before shooting again.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Except in the case of a badly assembled reload I have never had or witnessed a squib with factory ammo in the 30+ years I have been shooting, including while doing a lot of competition shooting even on a military team where tens of thousands of rounds are fired each year. It is pretty rare with factory but my personal impression is quality control in ammo is not what it once was

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Had a BAD SQUIB with WWB at a marksmanship qualification. I used my G19 to finish. I had to borrow a good multi tool to pry out the Winchester White Box load. WWB is off my use list.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Only problems I ever had with WWB is my Glock 17 would sometimes light-strike it. Really pretty good ammo. Kind of gets soot all over the gun, but never had any squibs. The only "squib" I ever saw anyone get was a guy shooting an IDPA match with ammo loaded by one of his buddies.

Perfecta is weakloaded no matter what.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Trying to determine if this is a probability issue with all ammo (mass production will result in x% of defective units) or a particular issue with WWB quality control.

beastep - the slide did not cycle. When I unchambered the pistol the empty cartridge was still in the chamber and did not eject.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That isn't physically possible in a locked breech recoil operated semi, there is no net recoil to cycle the action.
yep. This is one area where an auto is inherantly safer than a revolver. A squib load will not cycle the next round. If it did, rapid firing an auto gun would be highly dangerous as there would be no chance to catch it before the trigger was pulled agian. One squib and BOOM!!!

Go online and look at videos of squibs blowing up guns, like in an AR. They always hand cycle the gun, because it went *pop* but didn't cycle the next round. then WAM!!! the receiver flys apart.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't doubt any of your experiences but I have been shooting 9mm WWB almost exclusively for target and IDPA for years and have never experienced an issue at all. Just my experience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.