Glock 19 with stuck slide ...need help :(

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by dougja, Jan 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. G19lover

G19lover

I give you a lot of credit Doug, most people would not have come onto a public forum and risked being embarrassed. You did and it very possibly could of saved your life, nothing to be embarrassed about that. I think some guys now know what to be aware of if it happens to them. You did good and came out safe. Thanks for posting!

2. dougja

dougja

All I can say is ... THANKS!

This is a good forum, no wait... a great forum.

3. 1006

When the gun went off -- the spent cartrige should have ejected. Once the heat of firing occurred the brass should have fire formed (shrunk up) to the chamber and ejected.

It could be nothing to worry about, but I would check the extractor for damage, and the barrel for a possible buldge. Just in case you had a previous bullet stuck in the barrel in front of that live round.

Glad you are okay....

4. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Cartridge couldn't eject because full battery did not occur. Once again, I repeat, reload was not resized/crimped properly. He needs to check his reloads by dropping them into the barrel of his pistol and see if they go all the way in without sticking.

5. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Too late, but before beating on the gun, I would have tried using a small flat blade screwdriver to pull the extractor outward while gently pulling the slide rearward. Releasing the extractor's hold on the casing allows the slide to pull back. Lock the slide back and pry the casing from the chamber.
    Of course, keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

6. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

If cartridge is truly stuck in barrel, prying on the extractor (which is no no) wouldn't have helped.

7. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Funny, had a round stuck. Released extractor, worked perfect. Gun has since seen over 1000 rnds. no problem. Yeah, much better to beat on the gun. Would rather take a chance on ruining a $20 extractor than pound on the gun and have an ND.
    If the round is stuck, it's the extractor holding the slide in place. Prying on extractor places less stress on the extractor than beating the slide against a table with unpredictable results.

8. vmann

vmann Controller

something doesnt make sense here....

you stated that there ended up being a live round in it that ended up going off, but also said that the trigger was in the ready position...after many attempts of pulling the trigger without it going off...

if you pulled the trigger, how did it reset without racking the slide?? you wouldnt have been able to pull the trigger but one time without racking the slide, there is no second strike with a glock...

i think this part sounds impossible....no??

something smells funny here

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  9. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

I think the trigger wasn't completely reset just appeared to be if since the gun wasn't completely in battery.

10. vmann

vmann Controller

yea, but how would he get multiple pulls on the trigger...i just want to make sure i understand this correctly...know what i mean!!

i have seen and cleared the locked up slide before with the round that went off and didnt come out...trigger was pulled, and i felt confident about lining up the slide on a table and whacking on the back of it to break it free....

11. 1006

I am confused as to how it fired out of battery? I have had several reloads jam and leave the gun appearring to be in battery but unable to fire due to the connector/disconnctor function. If it went off, and is working properly, the extractor had to be hooked on to the case. ?????

12. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

I'm thinking he got the gun back into full battery and then it fired. Only way that can happen.

13. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

If the slide is back far enough that the "ramp" or "cam" inside the slide is pushing the connector over, the trigger can be pulled but it won't be moved down out of engagement with the firing pin lug. The trigger pull will compress the striker spring but since the connector isn't in position to cam the rear of the trigger bar down the striker won't actually be released.

If that happens, when you release the trigger it will simply return to the forward position under the tension of the firing pin spring, still in the ready to fire state. As soon as the slide is moved far enough forward to disengage the ramp/cam from the connector then a trigger pull would drop the striker and fire the pistol assuming that the slide is also far enough forward that the trigger pull will disengage the firing pin safety.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  14. 1006

Nice explanation JOHNKSA.

I had to get my Glock out to show it to myself, but now I understand.

Thanks

15. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

Glad to be of service! It's a very simple system, but since much of what goes on is not visible with the gun assembled and doesn't work with the gun disassembled it's easy to be in the dark about the minor details.

16. SGCase

SGCase

I am new to this fourm, but not to the things I have read here. I know this is an old post, but hopefully someone will still read it and get something from it. I was once showing a friend how my Glock disassembled so easily. I was in my living room with 4 people in the room. I methodically went through the motions, and as always before you can remove the slide you need to drop the trigger. I pointed the gun at the floor, and promptly blew a hole right through the carpet, floor, and into the crawl space below. Imagine the shock to all, as well as my hurt pride. I traced my steps realizing what had happend. Lets just say, I belive I had dyslexia of the brain that day and did all of the right procedures in the wrong order. Thankfully I have always and will always follow the one most important rule of always pointing a gun in a safe direction. If anything good ever came out of this experience, it has taught me to always second guess myself, and ALWAYS double and triple check by sight the chamber. All that said, I don't think my pride will ever recover. :shocked:

17. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Thanks for the input. this is the reason I chose not to look at some one new cool gun.

I am sure I insult allot of people,when I tell them to keep it in there holster. I just dont want to become one of the statistics of an ND

18. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Assuming your sizing die is correctly set up and screwed down, properly, into the press: Next time pull the press handle all the way down to the full bottom of the stroke!

You can always drop a cleaning rod down into the barrel; and you should be able to immediately tell whether or not it's landed on top of a loaded round. (You know how to do that, right!)

Danny's solution is a good one! Personally, I would have assumed a live round was inside the chamber, placed the muzzle end of the slide on a table flat, kept my finger off the trigger, and given the frame's backstrap a good hard whack with the flat of my hand. (Watch your toes!) ;)

19. jbudik

jbudik

I understand the thread is pretty old but I am not sure what to do. My Glock 19 is jammed solid.. There is a spent casing in there and slide will not open. I have been reading this forum for three days and have tried everything suggested from other posts. If anyone had anything to add, please advise... Thanks

20. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Either rap the front of the slide hard enough to push it back or take it to a gunshop.