Glock 19 vs ...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BonzaiSquirrel, Dec 31, 2017.

1. BonzaiSquirrel

BonzaiSquirrel

I've been accumulating double-stack 15rnd 9mm pistols and here's what I've discovered. Maybe it's useful to you, maybe not.

Canik TP9SF Elite: Super sensitive trigger, very reliable, points naturally, great ergos, accurate, well made, carries and conceals adequately.

SIG P229: Excellent light double-action trigger, outstanding single action trigger, fat as all hell, top heavy, very reliable, heavy in general but light recoil, accurate, points naturally, extremely well made, carries and conceals poorly (currently using a Safariland molded holster).

Glock 19.4: Light, good trigger, very reliable, points high for me (grip angle?), accurate, very well made, carries and conceals superbly, typically odd Glock ergos. Despite its faults, it is still one of my all-time favorite pistols.

CZP-07: Heavy double-action trigger, excellent light single-action trigger, very reliable, great ergos, accurate, well made, carries and conceals superbly (Galco leather holster), difficult to rack the slide due to the small contact area, points naturally, my current EDC.

Holsters make all the difference for carry. I find leather owb holsters conceal a firearm better because they hold it closer to the body. Molded polymer owb holsters are a lot more difficult to conceal. The SIG P229 has so many outstanding qualities that it's a shame the pistol is so fat and top heavy. The Canik (imho) is too dangerous to carry with that super light trigger. The Glock 19 and CZ P-07 are the carry kings of this group. I consider the CZ's heavy DA trigger to be a superior "safety" to the Glock safe-action trigger. Feel free to criticize, but remember that a lawyer is attached to every bullet.

Your thoughts and experiences?

2. bunk22

bunk22

Tough choices, I've owned or own 3 of the 4 guns mentioned. I have never owned the TP9SF Elite but I hear nothing but good things. I've held one, dry fired, felt great but seemed a bit heavier than a G19. The Gen 4 G19 is an excellent choice in my opinion. So much in common with the Gen 5 and other than the finger grooves, the finish and a few other small things, same gun.

I owned a CZ P07 and I will say, a gun I miss. It was a shooter, excellent ergo's for my hand, nice trigger and it rarely failed, if at all. It was a bit heavier than the 19 but nothing too difficult to overcome. As I recall, the P07 has some sharp angles and that can be a nuisance. My P07 was replaced by the CZ P10C and with the better trigger, it was a step up for me.

As for the 229, I have three of them and one 228. I will say mine have been great, with my Legion being my favorite, my M11A1 close behind. I love the SRT triggers combined with the fat trigger and it works great for my hands. The negative for me is the weight. Wearing a 229 all day is like wearing a kettle bell on my side lol I cc appendix style so it helps but the weight can be noticed.

So from your list, I would choose the Gen 4 Glock based on my experience with the guns. Easy learning curve if Glock is your standard carry. If you really want something different, the probably the P07, an easy gun to shoot and lighter than the kettle bell like 229.

BonzaiSquirrel and Jormungand like this.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Try a FNS, pretty under rated imo.

Quigley and Lumberjacks1 like this.
  4. quasii

quasii

HK VP9: Better ergo and trigger, same reliability, but slightly larger profile.

skyfall, Deputydave and Low_Speed like this.
  5. jp3975

jp3975

If you keep the trigger covered by the holster...

What could make it go off if it has a lighter trigger?

Jormungand likes this.
  6. bac1023

bac1023

It’s a lot larger.

It’s the size of the G17.

gatorboy and lexibilly like this.
  7. Jormungand

Jormungand

Glock 30.4: Roughly same height and length as the Glock 19. A bit on the thicker side due to the 45acp double stack magazine. It is quite accurate and very reliable. The usual Glock ergos and trigger. Recoil is manageable and not bad. Carries and conceals superbly in my Aliengear Cloaktuck holster 1st gen. 2nd Choice for EDC.

Sig P320CA aka Carry (pre-fix): It is likely accurate, I just couldn't get consistency. Good ergonomics for people that fit it well. Top heavy and bulky. Mine had night-sights by default (+1 over my G30.4). Concealed okay. Carry was uncomfortable due to the grip texturing, rubbed my side raw over time. It was carried in a Aliengear Cloaktuck holster 1st gen. Hated it so much I sold it...

Glock 23.4: Same height, length and thickness to the Glock 19, thinner than the G30. Accurate, good precision too. The usual Glock reliability, trigger and ergonomics. Recoil is quite manageable for me. Carries and conceals superbly, even better than my G30.4, in a 1st gen Aliengear cloaktuck holster. 1st Choice for EDC.

BonzaiSquirrel likes this.
  8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

:agree:

benben and Jormungand like this.
  9. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

A VP9 is not a lot larger. It’s slightly larger than a G19 and no where as big as a G17. You’re exaggerating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deputydave likes this.
  10. PSUEng

PSUEng

Why no Walther PPQ?

I picked one up a few weeks ago, M2 in 9mm. Sweetest shooting polymer gun I've shot. I've had a G19 and USP-C45 for years, and out of the box, the PPQ is the most accurate. I also test fired the CZ--didn't care for it. I didn't look at HK because I'm not interested in dealing with them anymore.

Two friends of mine, who've never shot a G19 or PPQ, went to the range with me. Both picked up the PPQ and were noticeably better with it than the Glock. The Glock adavantage is an abundance of holsters and cheap parts--that's where it has the PPQ beat. But I had a custom Kydex holster made for it, so no problem there.

BonzaiSquirrel and Deputydave like this.
  11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Larger enough to classify it as a full size gun rather than a compact, IMO.

Jormungand likes this.
  12. Pluto57

Pluto57

Depends on which dimensions you're comparing. It is much closer height-wise to a 17 than a 19. Length-wise, it is much closer to a 19.

A Glock 19 is 4.99 inches high. A Glock 17 is 5.43 inches high. A VP9 is 5.41 inches high.

Dimensions for length are 7.28 inches, 8.03 inches, and 7.34 inches, respectively.

It is a bit thicker than the Glocks at 1.32 inches versus 1.18 inches.

13. quasii

quasii

Good article, showing size relation to G19 and other comparable 9mms (including PPQ).
    https://carolinagunrunners.com/hk-vp9-review/

BonzaiSquirrel likes this.
  14. BonzaiSquirrel

BonzaiSquirrel

Agreed. The right holster and training would make the TP9SF safer to carry, but have you shot the TP9SF? I want the option to bail right up to the moment my finger reaches the trigger, if I get compliance from the perp. This 3.5lb trigger makes me appreciate the level of expertise that 1911 carriers have to develop.

Cambo likes this.
  15. BonzaiSquirrel

BonzaiSquirrel

You can't go wrong with the Glock 19 with its snag-free frame and light weight. It may seem silly, but I stopped carrying it because my Serpa paddle holster didn't snug the grip in close enough and the gun would print too easily. Instead, I started carrying the G26.4 in the same holster. I'm open to suggestions for a better owb solution for the G19.

16. BonzaiSquirrel

BonzaiSquirrel

I intend to. I hear nothing but good things about FN pistols.

17. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

Truth!! PPQs are awesome. I have the M1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. John_AZ

John_AZ

Had the CZ. Great gun. But I’m a fan of same trigger pull each time (always double, always single, striker, etc). I had the SA only version that could be manually decocked. Safety wasn’t positive. Kind of mushy. And the reach for DA put my grip at a funky place for the follow up SA. Liked the gun, but didn’t fit me. Personally. I would have loved to carry it though.

Have a Sig P227. Too heavy. Tall slide. Very large gun. Don’t like the grip. It was a gift. Only reason it stays. I’m not much of a Sig fan.

Carry a Glock 17 at work. Carry it time to time (like right now) appendix. It will soon be replaced off duty by a Glock 19 which will more than likely become my primary CCW. I have a slew of revolvers I’ve been carrying but looking to move over (not up) to a 15 round semi auto finally. I’ve finally put away my distaste for the Glocks and realized they seem to be the modern day Smith and Wesson model 10. Simple, reliable, and come in different sizes to fit duty, range, home defense and CCW. Pull, point and click.

Another vote for the G19

19. bunk22

bunk22

HK, USP compact or P30. Heavier but with a safety or LEM trigger. Great guns that might be some of the toughest on the market.

gatorboy and redbrd like this.
  20. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

Good post.
    I have never owned a Canik, but I have the other 3 guns.
    I did not like the Sig. It did not fit me good.
    I still have the 19, but I carry the CZ P-07. I love that gun and have since the day I bought it.