close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 VS XDM 9mm

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 2001GMC, Feb 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 2001GMC

2001GMC

I'm fixing to buy either the Glock 19 9mm or the XDM 9mm. I like the feel of both but never shot a XD. I like the 19+1 capacity and extra saftey features on the XDM. I would like to get some input on the accuracy of each of these guns from some experts. How do they compare with each other? I want a dependable and accurate gun. Just want some experienced opinions to help make up my decisions. I now have a Smith&Wesson Revolver 357mag model 66 stainless and SW9VE. I like both of these guns but want something I can hit the target a little better with.

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

With this statement, you should buy the XDm.

3. Broncbuster

Broncbuster Dying Breed

Between the 2 of your choices I would say a G19. Esp if this is going to be a carry gun. The XDM is a good pistol but a little large for CCW. I would also take a look at the Sig P226. I have all 3 and the Sig is the most accurate. I also like the Sig DA/SA for a carry gun.

4. bac1023

bac1023

5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

You can buy either.
    Both are accurate and reliable.

As you mentioned the XD has a few more rounds and safety features.

The Glock is a little more robust and easier to work on if you want to do it yourself.

For disclosure, I am Glock person.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The XDm is closer in size to the G17 than the G19, so G19 wins as a CCW.
    The G19's trigger is crisper & shorter reset than the XDm, so G19 wins trigger.
    The Glock's parts are everywhere, factory & aftermarket parts are harder to find for xdm, another Glock win.
    The G19 is lighter than the XDm so G19 wins weight.
    The holster selection for Glock is vast, XDm holsters are available, but still a Glock win.
    The Glock can be detail stripped easily, the XDm is a bugger, another Glock win.
    The Glock's sights are rather simple to replace, the XDm needs a nuclear explosion to remove them, Glock win.

The XDm is a 19+1 round cap, the G19 is 15+1, so the XDm wins capacity.
    The XDm has an additional safety feature, the grip safety, so XDm wins safety.
    The XDm is more accurate than the G19, so XDm wins accuracy.
    The XDm has a longer sight radius, so that's another win for the XDm.

I love my G19, but the XDm is a SWEET shooting gun.
    The XDm's trigger does get very nice at about 700-1k rounds fired, but is still a bit mushy.

7. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Trying to be unbias with this as much but I have owned XD's in the past and only thing I liked was the Backstrap safety and the trigger after about 600 rounds its broken in good.

The XDM is a comparable size to the G17 so really cannot compare it to the G19 much beside the fact it uses the same 9x19mm round.

Now speaking of the safety features of both pistols... I'll say one long statement and let you decide which is safer.

When shooting IDPA SSP (International Defensive Pistol Association/Stock Service Pistol) many pistols types are allowed but the XD series is NOT allowed to shoot in the same SSP class with G19's do to the fact on the XD pistols the striker is always cocked when a round is in the chamber... With a glock the striker is cocked when the trigger is pulled backwards by a finger... so the backstrap safety is really a moot point when the pistol is in your hand and hot'n ready to go.

XD's are fine pistols... yeah so they had the removable backstrap 1st but does that really have anything to do with safety or quality? 15 years from now will springfield and the XD line be fixing pistols they sold today for free? I dunno I only know the fact Glock has been doing it for like 25 years now...

All in all get a G19 or a G17 more than likely your going to be HOOKED on glock after... forever... and ever... Plus the trigger on that S&W sigma is horrible to deal with.

We could go deeper into... aftermarket part availability... dependability... or the sole fact the G19 has killed more bad people than the XD... but I won't...:faint:

8. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

I had an XDm and quickly sold it. If you already like the XD, you'll love the XDm. If you're like me, and the XD doesn't do much for you, neither will the XDm.

As far as pros and cons, I'd say the Glock has a considerably better trigger for "combat" shooting (the XDm will probably be easier for most people to get better accuracy from), and is easier to modify or service. The XDm has a nice mag capacity, and it looks pretty cool. Mechanical accuracy will probably be a wash.

9. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I don't think so.
    Both are accurate enough.
    If you are looking for a tack driver, you need to look at something besides the XD and Glock.

10. 2001GMC

2001GMC

Thanks for all the info and advice. Its greatly appreciated.

11. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Tried both.
    G19 balances in my hands best.
    :supergrin:

12. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I've owned both and both are great pistols. I ended up trading my XDm 9mm for a Glock 35 and felt I got the better of the deal. The trigger is an issue for me on the XDm but not enough to were I wouldn't own one again. They are 2 different pistols, as others have stated, in both size and how they shoot. The grip angle is one of the main differences for me. I'd guess you'd be happier with either; both again are great guns worthy of any collection, although Glock holds the advantage of having more places selling more parts, holsters and mags than the XD/XDm line.

13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I, myself, trust Glocks more.

14. CTM_357

CTM_357 first gen. g17

15. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

XD's are top heavy !
    XD's have a higher bore-axis.
    Where the barrel sits higher up from the hand, creating more muzzle flip.

Glocks or S&W M&P's would be better choices.

You don't want a safety, a thumb-safety will get you killed !
    The holster is the only safety you need.
    Revovers don't have safeties !

16. mixflip

mixflip

I was just going to say about the same thing. I'd get a S&W M&P before an XDm. The high bore axis and forward slide serrations are just for me. I admit I do love its other features though like the mag capacity and the grips and the grip safety and tapered slide.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

that's pretty much it.

after previously owning a XD, i decided to give the XDm a try. I also installed a Springer Precision kit in the XDm and even with a trigger kit in the XDm it's still mushy.

also look at the M&P, the stock trigger isn't that great (compared to the Glock), but $30 get's you an Apex sear. The Apex is a huge improvement over the stock trigger.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  18. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

My Steyrs eat Glocks and crap XD's.:cool:

19. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

The XD is more accurate and has better ergonomics.
    The Glock is more durable and possibly more reliable.
    They're both around $600+ brand new. XDM comes with more gear though.

But this is all my opinion. I've shot both the G19 and the XD.
    No experience with the XDM though.

20. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)