Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Walther PPQ
1,512 Posts
The 19 is likely more versatile, but then it depends on your intent with the gun. If you just want a range/woods gun, the 17 would be fine; if you have any notion of concealing, the 19 would be a better option.

I would handle both if you can, as they do have a different feel in the hand.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
You can't go wrong with either of them, they are both great. But, the G19 is preferred more for CCW. I do prefer the Gen 3 9MMs myself but, YMMV.

:welcome:to GT.

·
Walther PPQ
1,512 Posts
I'd stick with a Generation 3 as well, unless the new grip is of interest to you.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Honestly you're talking about 1/2" one way and 3/4" the other. Both have similar accuracy and shot recovery, though the 19 FEELS different when you carry it. The grips are different sizes (the palm swell is "higher" on the grip on the 19). Otherwise is a 6 of one half dozen of another type argument.

Whichever one you like the best is the one to get!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I am a big fan of my G19, but I carry my G17 90% of the time. As stated earlier, it depends on your intent. The 19 will accomplish what the 17 will, yet will conceal a tad better for some. Get them in your hands and get a feel for them. If possible, shoot each of them. Good luck and welcome to GT.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Was gonna buy one of these soon any advice?
If you buy a Glock 19, you can get the Glock 17 magazine with an A&G grip adapter, then buy an extended barrel from Storm Lake or Lone Wolf (the same exact size of the Glock 17) and be shooting a Glock 17 - and then be able to convert back to the Glock 19 size gun. Thats what I do, works great. AND if you are really in the mood for change, you could always buy the Lone Wolf extended slide/barrel for the Glock 19, use the magazine set up I told you about and actually "feel" like you are shooting a Glock 17. Either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
G19 ALL THE WAY!

I have both, and will probably trade my G17 soon. The G19 is my current go to gun, and I love it. For me it is the perfect balance between size and performance.

·
Banned
5,668 Posts
I prefer the 19. The difference however is miniscule IMO and whatever fits your hand better should be the one you choose.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've already have a 27 so I picked up a 17 last week and got it to the range today. The 17 was just a complete and utter joy to shoot. It really was intended for Range, Competition and Home Defense duty, but I think it's very likely it'll end up joining into the regular carry rotation. The feel of the 19 and the 17 are fairly similar IMO but the 19 being shorter is more concealable.

·
Gunslinger
2,063 Posts
I prefer the midsized (compact) Glocks over the full sized, and sub's. If I were a 9mm guy the G19 would be my choice without a doubt (I have owned a G19 and a G17). I am a .357 SIG guy, and as such.... My carry gun is a G32. Feels and handles like a full sized pistol, holds plenty of ammo, and is easier to conceal. My vote goes to the G19.

Oh.... And, because I know what you will say after you buy the G19.... You're welcome.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,297 Posts
I've owned both.
I definitely prefer the G19, FWIW. Better for concealment, virtually no drawbacks aside from 2 fewer rounds in the magazine.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
If this would be my only gun I would pick the G19 especially if I had any intention of carrying it. If I was only going to shoot it and never carry it then the G17. However for the range I like the G34 better than the G17 and for carry I like the G26 better than the G19.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hold each. I went with G17 because 19 didn't feel that comfortable (shorter grip & different distance between finger grooves). I also came to realize that there's probably very little difference carry wise between the two, you need to go subcompact to really see the diff.

·
w00tz0rious
284 Posts
I just picked up a Glock 19 Gen 3 today and took her to the range! This is the 3rd Glock I've owned (Had a G27 & G22, sold both) so I have a little bit of experience with Glocks. I am very happy with the G19 and I believe I will be holding on to this one forever. The only thing I can say I miss is the grip size of the G22 (same size frame as G17) as I have large fatish hands and I liked the smooth trigger face on the G22 as opposed to the "combat" trigger serrations on the G19 and G27. The G19 came with a Glock factory adjustable rear sight which I have never seen before so that was interesting.

I was only shooting at 25 yards benchrest (switching between the G19 and my new Ruger 10/22) and the gun was more accurate then I am for sure. I was putting holes in rimfire sight-in bullseyes a couple times.

·
Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
It doesn't matter which one you get first because:

A.) If you get the G19 first, you'll end up getting the G17 in a short while.

B.) If you get the G17 first, you'll end up getting the G19 in a short while.

I've succumbed to pattern "A".

·
Controller
2,624 Posts
i personally will never buy another full size glock again...the mid size, or compact to be correct, are the perfect sized glocks in my opinion...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts