Glock 19 / Storm Lake barrel problems!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G23cind634, Jun 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. G23cind634

G23cind634

I received my new Storm Lake barrel (Glock 19) on Saturday June 9 2007. I dropped it in and got to try it out today. 6-12-07. Everything started out fine, (10 rounds later) then I had problems, major problems. The Gun would get stuck live rounds after every 1st shot. I believe there are head space issues? Several of us at the range worked and worked to get the live round out of the chamber. To start off with it would not eject by hand, so I had to field strip the gun and then hold the ejector back to push the barrel out of the receiver. Then work the case/round out of the chamber. After this happened 3 times using 3 differnet types of ammo, I decided there was problems beyond my expertise. It appears that the rounds do not fit into the chamber far enough and they protrude out further than the face of the barrel chamber, as with the factory barrel they drop further into the chamber. I know it’s not a gun issue since I put the factory barrel back in and finished the match with no problems the rest of the evening.

Waiting to here from Glockworld.com and Storm Lake for instructions on sending this thing back.

Any feed back or advice is welcome.

Not a happy customer of Storm Lake at the moment!!

2. BillyGlock

BillyGlock

3 types of ammo used with simuliar(sp) results?

Are they reloads?

If all three are factory--- good money on bad barrel.

If using reloads, were they previously shot from a OEM Glock barrel? If so, the brass could be swelled down low where reloading die won't resize. Pretty common problem with tight "match barrels" using brass that has been fired in a Glock stick barrel.

Storm Lake barrels are usually pretty much drop in OEM...
    if however you were talking about tight chamber match barrel using once fired reloads-- I would recommend checking for brass expansion reloads.. if not I dunno.????

PLease keep us informed of what you find out.

3. G23cind634

G23cind634

Hi.. Thanks for the reply to my post.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Tight tolerances are the problem, although Storm Lake wants me to send it back with 3 test bullets, to check the specs.
    The rounds that got stuck where re-loads that I worked up plus some Wolf ammo.
    I run all my re-loads through a headspace gauge from Dillon. I have now gone back and used the Storm Lake Barrel as my gauge. And there are some that do not drop all the way into the chamber, but they pass fine thru the Dillion head space gauge?
    The main reason I bought this barrel is so I can shoot re-loads thru my Glock. But if this barrel is going to be that picky, I am not sure what I am going to do.
    Kinda lost on how to make the cases fit better into a tight fitting chamber? I have been re-loading for years and never had any problems.
    If I got to buy new brass then heck with it, I might as well by new ammo...

I will keep everyone posted as to what Storm Lake does for me.

4. G23cind634

G23cind634

I got my barrel back from Storm Lake and have got to fire a few rounds thru it.
    It has not jammed yet.
    They requested me to send 3 rounds with barrel when I returned it,
    for SAMMI comparison. So I sent 3 rounds that would not fit their chamber. Although the same 3 would fit my Dillion case gage.
    They did open up the chamber a tad bit.
    So for now I will say Storm Lake Barrels did good. I am ready to send several thousand rounds down this barrel and see how she does..
    Thanks for your reply’s and imput..
    JJ

5. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Please let us know how that SL barrel is now performing for you post factory visit.

Thanks.

6. Torontogunguy

Torontogunguy

I had a huge problem with my Storm Lake barrels, one on my G26 and one on my G30. I determined, I think, that the groove for the end of the recoil spring assembly on compacts is .5" while the groove for full sized guns is .42". My barrels had the incorrect .42" groove. They were both replaced with corrected barrels with the right size grooves. My problems are solved and I have run a couple of hundred rounds through each without incident. Prior they were jamming every round. Regardless of make of ammo. I thought perhaps I was getting a three point jam due to tighter tolerances, but it is the tight tolerances that you want is it not? (One of the reasons that Glock barrels NEVER seem to jam or misfeed is loosey goosey tolerances, making for less accuracy).

My Storm Lake barrels were turned around by Storm Lake in less than 24 hours (and by Questar in Canada). I upgraded the G26 barrel to a ported barrel.... WOWZER! I cannot say enough good things about Storm Lake and would have no problem whatsoever in dealing with them or with Questar in Van Kleek Hill, nor with using their superb barrels. That is not to say the others are any better or worse. All I can attest to is that I can fill the pie plate with holes at 25 - 50 feet rapid fire single handed. And to me, that's sufficient.

All manufacturer's have problems now and again. It is HOW they handle the problems that sets them aside. And I am duly impressed by the fellows at Questar and at Storm Lake. Unless convinced otherwise, all of my barrel upgrades in future will be Storm Lake.

And hey guys. You have got to try the ported barrels! Rapid fire, little muzzle flip, every shot in the pie plate. That to me is "I will bet my life on it" accuracy. Another few hundred rounds through each barrel without a hang and they will be totally "bet your life" barrels as far as I'm concerned.

Wish I could say the same for my 1911's - they always seem to need maintenance of some kind, although I love them dearly.