close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 Reliabilty work?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by feldhege, Aug 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. feldhege

feldhege

Hey Guys,
    Well my Winchester Ranger 147gr ammo came in for my Glock 19 (500 rounds). So far it has been sort of working. I have had success with other standard hollow point designs (Remmington, winchester, Powerball). The ranger is sort of hit and miss. The ranger bullet hits the feed ramp. Now when I am hand cycling the slide it jams more often. Yes I am pulling it back all the way and releasing it. When shooting, it only jams occasionally. It never jams on the last round though, mostly toward the start of the mag.

Gold Dots (bought a box just to try) fail to load in every time.

Powerball fires great (as it should given its profile) but I wanted a heavier bullet.

So the question is, does anyone know of a place to send my 19 and some ammo to put some reliability work into it? I figure Glock won't help (although I didn't ask) as they don't seem to think it is much of a problem. When I called before, they told me to put a FMJ round on the bottom. Didn't help anything other then the LRN.

2. feldhege

feldhege

OK no replies yet (only been one day though). I wonder if a new barrel would help fix the problem? Or maybe I should just keep using Powerball and not worry about using the Ranger ammo.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Use Federal Personal Defense or Cor-Bon for carry and Federal American Eagle or Winchester USA for practice.

4. feldhege

feldhege

Thanks DannyR,
    I have no problem with Target ammo. Have you had good luck with hydra shocks/Personal Defense in a G19? I did have one box of Corbon 115Gr +p JHP work in my glock but they get kind of expensive to test a couple hundred rounds for reliability. I know it is my life I am betting on so I should not be cheap. Just trying to keep my house too! ;)

5. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

my G19 cycles federal hydroshocks, winchester SXT's, remington golden sabers, and Corbon's without a flaw. In fact, I have yet to have a misfeed with it with ANY type of ammo.

How old are your magazines? Usually with glocks, it's the mags that go out. I have seen weak springs cause misfeeds before, a sharper profile with weak springs could be your problem. If you carry +1 (full mag + 1 in chamber) and don't cycle your carry mags, the springs can go out fairly fast. (I've seen one year failures before...guy kept one mag loaded with SD rounds all the time, NEVER unloaded it). I prefer to cycle my carry mags every week or two.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I prefer Federal's EFMJ ammo in 9mm, but have had great reliability with Cor-Bon and Triton 115-gr JHP+, Federal Hyrda-Shoks, and Hornady JHP's. They all feed in my G17, G17L, G19 and G26 pistols with 100% reliability.

Check your locak gun shows for the best price on Cor-Bon. I got my Federal EFMJ's from www.ammoman.com

My girlfriend has a time-share in Pigeon Forge. Where is a good place to shoot in that area?

7. feldhege

feldhege

PM Sent.

8. feldhege

feldhege

I had heard that from someone at one time. I was using a Preban NDF with 9MM1 follower. I bought a new spring from Lonewolf distributing and replaced the follower with a 9mm3. Helped but didn't stop it. My 10 round mags (also 9mm3 followers) are better but still not perfect. I was wondering if the feed lips might be off. Can anyone measure thiers (in inches) and tell me what they should be?

9. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I believe Matt at CGR used to have all those dimensions on his website, you might try looking there. MLM

10. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

11. JBA111

JBA111

hay Feldhege, I have had the best luck with bullets in the 124 gr range. Cor Bons arn't cheap but I havn't ever had one not feed or fail in anyway. But they are never the most accurate cartridge in any pistol I have owned either. But certinly acceptable accuracy haha
    But the first an last rnds being FMJ in any spare carry mags is a good ideal until Glock finds and cures some of the mysterys!!

12. feldhege

feldhege

Thanks for all the advice guys. Until I get the reliabilty of my G19 worked out with these bullets, I will keep using Powerball in my carry gun. It has NEVER failed to feed in my gun. Just wish it had a little more mass to the bullet then 100gr. I will also check my mags when I get home and see if that might help.

Of Course, I will NEVER EVER give up my G19!!:cool:

13. feldhege

feldhege

Good news (So Far).
    So I decided to do the .25 trigger job on my gun. While I was doing that, I also polished the feed ramp till it shined like glass. I also polished the metal rib that goes down the center of the slide on the bottom. It seemed to me that since this rides over the top of the bullets that maybe it could cause some problems. So with those two additional areas polished, I went to the range last night and shot 150 rounds, using 3 different mags, through my G19 WITHOUT ONE FAILURE!!!;a

Now I will continue testing to make sure but it would seem to me that it is now working with my Winchester Ranger t 147 gr ammo. I have about 90 days to wait till my permit gets here so I can continue testing. Thanks for listening. I will keep you posted.

14. Mic

Mic Millennium Member

It would not hurt to change your mag springs as well as your recoil spring. Like I said it can only help. With my Glock 19 the bullets seldom come in contact with the feed ramp when every thing is working right.

15. Mabo

Mabo Want a beer?

feldhege, how many rounds would you say you had through your gun? It took about 500 rounds before my G19 was broken in enough to stop having problems. It seemed to get even smoother at around the 3000 mark.

16. Guy Powell

Guy Powell Guest

My girlfriend has a time-share in Pigeon Forge

Danny, if you get back to the Gatlingburg area make sure to see Cades Cove. One of the lovliest places on earth.

17. feldhege

feldhege

Probably only around 1500 or so. It is getting better so maybe I will just keep shooting it until it gets REALLY broken in. I will try a new recoil spring/rod. I have already replaced the mag springs. I wouldn't guess that a recoil spring should wear out this quick though. I have a 1911 that has 3500 rounds through it and it is only now needing a recoil spring.

What about shok-buffers? Anyone use those in there 19s? I am. Maybe that is the problem?

18. rljan

rljan

Remove the shok-buffer & solve your problem.

19. Mabo

Mabo Want a beer?

I too have heard that shok-buffers can cause problems.