Glock 19 Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CA_G19, Jun 10, 2020.

1. thwalker13

thwalker13

Didn't make it up, I have shot older Glock models. And just don't really care for them. I've found that the new models fit my hands better overall. And the ones that I did fire, tended to eject the casings towards me occasionally. It wasn't an every time occurrence, but it did happen. And my Gen5 G19 has yet to do that.

Glock234Me likes this.
  2. Orive 8

Orive 8

OP, since you are in CA I think that you are going to be limited in your choice to a Gen 3 (like many have already posted) but with that said here is my opinion having owned 30+ Glock 19s (Gen 2, 3s, and 4s - havn't owned a Gen 5, yet!).

For smaller hands, the Gen 4 and 5 are better suited due to the smaller grip option. No doubt. If you are stuck with getting a Gen 3 - you can have a grip reduction done on it. I have a grip reduction 26 that is perfect for me. A friend has a Glock 19 Gen 3 with a grip reduction that is fantastic, I keep pestering him about selling it to me. An officer I worked with had a grip reduction 21 that allowed the gun to be actually "shootable" for those of us who don't have gorilla hands.

Two notable companies that do grip reduction are Cold Bore Customs and Bowie Tactical, I am sure that there are others too.

Good luck.

CA_G19 likes this.

3. Glock234Me

Glock234Me

Same here. Hate 9mm in gen 3 and 4 due to BTF. My G19 gen 5 and G45 are awesome! Also my G23 gen 4....

4. Shel

Shel

I'm new to semi's, and did quite a bit of looking around both on YouTube reviews of guns, as well as testing out different semi automatics at local ranges... I settled on a Glock 19, gen 3 (being in California, the choice of what generation was made for me)

What I find really interesting is, when people are asked to recommend a first gun or a semi for a 1st time buyer, more often then not the Glock 19 comes up...

And yet... the FBI, local police, and (I believe) some military all use the Glock 19! It's a testament to the gun that it's both recommended to new adopters as well as used by LEO's!

It's a very dependable gun, easy to field strip, fairly easy to conceal (if that's a concern), easy to find parts and modifications, and just a great, all-around gun! Works great at the range, as well, not too small to control recoil.

Problem these days is finding one! I got lucky and found a private seller who wanted to sell a NIB Glock 19, never fired. Took about two months of looking!

So far, I'm very happy with my choice. (I purchased, and still own a S&W revolver 30 years ago, but this was my first semi) Good luck in whatever you decide!

slym2none and G19 fan like this.
  5. Chetters

Chetters

Both my daughters can rack and pull the trigger on a gen 3 Glock 19. They're both around 5'2" and one just hit 100lbs the other is about 115.

The older one had no problems with manipulations but I had to show the younger one how to rack it close to her body. The one where you hold it pointing fwd high near your armpit, grab the slide with your other hand, then push the gun forward. She can get her hand around the frame enough to pull the trigger but it does require enough effort that she'll get tired after a couple of mags. The biggest issue for her is trigger reach. An alternative for her is my p226 with short reach trigger. Slide is easier to rack and trigger is single action (so she has to work the slide first, she can't pull the trigger dbl action) and it does get heavy for her holding it out for a long period of time. Her hands fit around single stacks ok but the slides are harder to rack.

So... Glock 19 is the best overall fit for them right now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

6. slym2none

slym2none

"...her hands fit around single stacks ok but the slides are harder to rack."

??? Why would that be? Just curious.

7. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

Definitely Gen 5 but skip the trigger work, all you need is night sights leave rest stock. If you decide later on you want lighter you can do it yourself.