Glock 19 Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CA_G19, Jun 10, 2020.

1. CA_G19

CA_G19

I've owned my Daniel Defense M4V11SLW for 4 years now but I've never owned a pistol. I also have a CZ Double Barrel shotgun. I'm now in the market for a Glock 19 for mainly home defense and periodic range fun. I've done a fair amount of research and I'm torn between getting the gen 3 or gen 5. I want my wife to able to shoot the gun and I've read that the gen 3 is not as ideal due to the grips. She's a petite 5'3". I'm planning to buy the gun from GlockStore in San Diego. I want to get the tactical trigger job on the gun to reduce the trigger pull to 3lbs. Since I'm doing this, I'm not sure if it even matters which gen I get. What's your guys input on the matter? Thanks.

2. thwalker13

thwalker13

I own a GEN5 G19. And I love it. I've held and shot a lot of the older Glock, and found them to be uncomfortable and the older Gens tend to throw the casings at your face. Newer models have better internals and don't have this issue. Personally I'd get a Gen5 all day.

Good luck dealing with GlockStore.

Aggie58 likes this.

3. pjanthony

pjanthony

Since you do not have any other Glocks, no need to standardize on one Gen or the other. I say get the Gen-5 since it does not have finger grooves, thus it’s compatible with your hands and your wife’s hands.

RustyRyan and Bus007 like this.
  4. CA_G19

CA_G19

Have you delt with GlockStore before? If you have another suggestion on a dealer, I'm all ears.

5. CA_G19

CA_G19

I appreciate the input. The gen 5 sounds like the right choice.

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  6. thwalker13

thwalker13

I've ordered a few parts from them. If the item is actually in stock, then you're fine. However both times I've placed an order with them, something has been sold out and It's been several weeks before my order ships. Their customer service doesn't exist either.

Now this is coming from someone who cannot walk into the physical store itself. If you have that ability your experience will probably is different. But I'd check around with some local dealers 1st. Smaller places might be able to get you a better deal or be willing to work with you.

7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I think you're probably right about gen5 being better for your wife in terms of grip.

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  8. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I own a Gen 3. I prefer my Glocks stock and it has been flawless. I have never handled a Gen 5 so I can't speak to that.

Jan R Whitaker and porschedog like this.
  9. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I didn't think the Gen 5 was a option in California for civilians. Am I wrong on this?

Valmet, dbuck47 and thewoods868 like this.
  10. Repeat

Repeat

My vote goes to a Gen 3.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    porschedog likes this.
  11. jfusaro

jfusaro

Can you go to a range and maybe shoot both before she buys?

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  12. CA_G19

CA_G19

I thought I saw this as well. If so, easy choice, gen 3.

Aggie58 likes this.
  13. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Since you’re buying in communist kalifornia is the gen 5 even on their stupid list as available for purchase?

Buckshot Barry and dbuck47 like this.
  14. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    Yeah, its my understanding that is why Glock still makes the Gen 3. But, I could be wrong....I just don't think I am.

porschedog likes this.
  15. CA_G19

CA_G19

You are unfortunately correct about CA and the gun.

dbuck47 likes this.
  16. BillG174

BillG174

On Memorial Day I bought a G19 Gen 5 and the trigger is fantastic - so smooth - much better than the triggers on my G17 and G30 Gen 4 guns even after I did a 25 cent trigger job. I don't think the 19.5 will get the trigger job because it doesn't need it. Also the Gen 5 gives you the latest Glock improvements too. I bought the G19 on the Glock Veteran's Appreciation Blue Label program. The price of the 19 Gen 4 and Gen 5 was the same.

Also very important - before buying any gun for anyone rent the gun and have them shoot it to see if it fits their hand and to see how they shoot it. Before I purchased each Glock I rented it 2 or 3 times just to make sure.

17. dbuck47

dbuck47

Gen5 is not available to civilians in California as others have said.

It would be my preference for the grip and mag release. Nothing wrong with Gen3 though.

18. CA_G19

CA_G19

Wish I could. With all this chaos in the country, it's making it difficult to test the gun like I'd like. I treat several police officers at my office and they all confirmed that the G19 is a great home defense pistol so I trust them. Plus the research I've done confirms that as well. I'll have to find out if the gun works for my wife or not once I get it. If I have to buy another pistol that suites her, so be it. I appreciate your feedback on the G19!

19. CA_G19

CA_G19

Do you like the mag release because you're a lefty? I agree that I like the gen 5 grip more but looks like I'm stuck with the gen 3 option since I'm in CA.

20. G19 fan

G19 fan

Another thing to verify is that your wife can rack the slide of whatever pistol you decide to get. My wife has a bit of trouble with both my 19.4 & my 26.5. That is the main reason she decided to get a S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ. It wasn't my decision, but it works for her. I know there are some different methods that might make it a bit easier to operate, but she feels more confident with it & I know enough not to argue. I don't know if this one is an option in CA, but it is in OR.