close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jacob McCandles, Dec 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jacob McCandles

Jacob McCandles

Took my Glock 19 to the range today and about every 6-10 shots brass hit me right between the eyes :) I am an experienced shooter and own 3 other glocks (20,22,and 39) don't have any problems with the other ones. Its fairly new maybe 200-400 rounds thru it....Any ideas? Could it be the ammo? Extractor?
    I wouldn't worry about it except its quite a distraction.....:dunno:

2. Conrad559

Conrad559

you're the second person within a very short period of time that posted this exact issue with their 19...wonder what the problem is

3. Jacob McCandles

Jacob McCandles

not sure, gonna clean it up and go back tomorrow and maybe wear a hat :) maybe its just something that has to work its self out????? :nsb:

4. hambone33

hambone33

That's exactly what I was thinking . I was looking for a 19 but now I'm thinking more along the lines of a 38 .

5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

It's a tough one to figure out on the Internet.....

Has it worked OK in the past?

What ammo are you shooting?

Have you changed, altered or replaced anything on the gun since it last worked OK?

6. Jacob McCandles

Jacob McCandles

never noticed it until today....i was shooting some white box winchester ammo i bought at Walmart. tomorrow im gonna try a different batch and also some black hills HPs. just weird idk........was hopin it was somethin simple.
    btw its a stock gun...no changes....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  7. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Texas Bandit

My wife has the exact same problem. We both shoot my G-19 yet I have no problems with it. After recording her shoot and watching the video, I noticed that because of her loose grip and recoil anticipation, the brass wouldn't fly out far enough. Kinda like using your arms to push off a brick wall versus a chain link fence.

I know you're an experienced shooter but maybe the 19 wants a tighter grip or maybe you're pushing the barrel down waiting for the recoil.

8. maniDAR

maniDAR

I have a G17RTF2 around a month old. I only face this issue with Winchester white box but i thought i must be doing something wrong so i never brought this up.
    Today i went and shot Remington, cci, lawman and not even once i got hit by the brass, loaded 2 mags with winchester and had the same problem
    so i think in my case its the ammo which is causing this issue.
    I have decided to stay away from winchester for time being.

9. Conrad559

Conrad559

don't let that hold you back man...i just bought my G19 a month ago and have put 1,000 rounds through it w/o ANY problems...

10. hambone33

hambone33

My 17 has in excess of 10,000 trouble free rounds through it . It just seemed odd to me to see 2 posts with the same problem on the same model in such a short period of time . I kinda wanna try one of the gap pistols and the 19 is my favorite size so I've got 38 on the brain .

11. wingspar

wingspar

I get that happening on occasion with my 17. I wonder if it’s ammo or my grip. After reading this thread, I wonder if it is ammo, or maybe it’s grip and ammo for that particular round. I’ve used almost nothing but WWB 115 grain FMJ since I bought the gun. Probably have somewhere between 300 and 500 rounds thru her.

I’ve got a new video cam, and this thread has given me an idea for the next shoot. Video the gun with 10 rounds of WWB, then put 10 rounds of Winchester Ranger 124 grain +p thru her, and see what the difference, if any, is on how the casings are ejected. Not scientific by any means, but gives me a project to do.

12. Jacob McCandles

Jacob McCandles

Well I figured out what the problem was. When I used Glock 19 mags no problems but I have a couple of Glock 17 mags that I use for reloads at the range, when I put those in every 6 rounds or so the brass would hit me right btween the eyes. so I'm happy now :) Gun shoots great and I don't have to dodge brass! Put 200rds thru it today and didn't get hit one time. Same ammo too.

13. Glock3819

Glock3819

I shoot the WWB also and never had that problem with my 19RTF. Might be the batch or your grip. Just a thought.

14. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Ah Hah! You changed magazines..... :)

Realistically, the G17 mags should work OK too. How old are they? A newer/stronger mag spring might make a difference for them.

If they are 'old' a new 10 coil spring might do it just fine. If they aren't old, I'd consider putting an 11 coil factory spring in them, or a Wolff '+' spring.

15. Jacob McCandles

Jacob McCandles

The Glock 17 mags are new. Bought them the same day I bought the gun. I'll try your new springs idea. Thanks for the input.

16. The Pusherman

The Pusherman officer mcgee

my 3rd gen g19 threw brass in my face.

i traded it for a g19 rtf2, and that one doesn't do it.

think it's glock slackin on the QC.

17. coq

coq Raging Member

My 19 for a brief time (1 or 2 range visits) when newer, would occasionally hit me with brass in the forehead. Not sure why. It doesn't do it any more. Great gun.

18. tbyron

tbyron

When I first started shooting, spent brass would sometimes hit the brim of my hat or fly right over the top of my head. Since I've refined my grip and stopped anticipating the recoil, the casings all land in roughly the same 1-2 foot radius circle.

But your issue sounds like something other than grip or making the end of the gun nose-dive. I'd listen to Butch.

19. Jacob McCandles

Jacob McCandles

It's definitely the mags. I shot my other 3 Glocks with the same grip and have been for several years. the 19 is new to the family and is why I just now ran into this problem, altho its not a problem now :)

20. G8Kpr

G8Kpr Sheep Dog

I thought you were dead.