close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 or 19c?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by donnrcp, May 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. donnrcp

donnrcp Deplorable minion

I'm going to retire a Sig P230 from my CCW and replace it with a 9x19. Does the 19c allow the shooter to keep the front sight on the target while firing because of the reduced muzzle flip? Is there an ideal bullet weight to do this? If carried concealed, should I use a non ported barrel. Thank you for your input.:patriot:

2. minuteman32

minuteman32 NRA & GOA Life

For carry, I would strongly recomend the non ported barrel. If you must fire while holding the gun close to your body, those hot gasses that are going through the ports are likely going to hit you! That would be distracting @ best & blinding (& possibly fatal if the BG capitolizes on your situation) @ worst.

For target shooting, I imagine it would help keep the muzzle down some.

3. father time

father time

Second vote for non-C version,my 18 y/o daughter can do double-taps with my early model in well under 2 seconds at 25 ft.The only 9mm ammo I've ever had a flash issue with is Remington/UMC ball.

4. thingamajig

thingamajig clumsy person

Compensators are great for the range and action shooting, but if you ever had to fire one in self-defense, particularly indoors, you'd be even more deaf than otherwise.:freak:

3rd vote for non-C for carry.

5. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Compensated guns are also much louder - I would not recommend it for a carry gun.

6. vafish

vafish

There is a thread around here somewhere about the ported Glock models for CCW use.

Lots of opinions.

I don't see a need for them on the G19. My 13 year old son shoots a G19 in USPSA/IPSC matches.

7. dave27

dave27 Millennium Member

The 19C is NOT much louder than a regular 19. A bit maybe but let's not go spreading half-truths and myths. I carry the 19C daily and recommend it. It's very fast for accurate follow up shots.

8. ShipWreck

Not a myth - I had a comped 1911 for years - It was a LOT louder than a non comped .45 1911. It was usually the loudest gun on the range when I was there.

One reason I got rid of it was because it was not a gun I wanted to use inside for self defense - SERIOUS hearing damage.

9. gunman_23

gunman_23 GOOGLE IT

Go with the full Glock 19 NOT the Glock-lite (19C).

You want this gun for self defense right? Dont go with the 19C for these reasons:

1. Compensated barrels lose velocity and therefore lose power.
    (The comp barrel vents the gas before the bullet leaves the barrel)

2. Those said vented gases and flash exit in a real pretty "V" right along your sight picture. If you need a self defense firearm, odds are you will need it in a low light situation or at night. Regular muzzle flash is hell then, wait until it is right in your sight picture.

GO 19!

10. dave27

dave27 Millennium Member

But we're not talking about a comped 1911. We're talking about a G19C, I don't notice a significant sound difference between my 17 and the 19C. The sounds is different, but I can't say it's much louder. And a comped 9mm is still quieter than a non-comped 1911, let alone something like a 357sig! Of course, perceived "loudness" is probably different for everybody but these are my experiences with the specifc gun in question.

These are the myths I was talking about.

1. You'll lose ~3% velocity. Not significant.

2. Have you ever shot a 19C in low/no light? I'm guessing not otherwise you wouldn't have said anything about the "flash". I shoot matches with my 19C in low-light/no-light and never have trouble with my sight picture or night vision. The flash out of the barrel is MANY times brighter than the flash through the ports. Now, I don't have superhuman eyesight so either my 19C is defective and doesn't flash like it's supposed to or there really isn't enough of a flash to matter.

The ONLY valid argument I've heard against ported guns for CCW is the risk of burns/injury from firing from retention. This can be mitigated through proper training, i.e. tilting the pistol away from you while firing. Just a little variation of a skill that should be practiced anyway, not a big deal.

I went with the 19C over the 19 for a few reasons, very quick/accurate follow up shots/double-taps and for the price of another factory barrel I can have the best of both worlds. Can't make a 19C out of a 19.

11. grecco

grecco

here is pic of a 23c being fired in total darkness....
    i did not get blured vison or blindness.

the flash happens so fast you dont really notice it.
    the shot was taken from a video i made.
    the flash in the video is so fast.......most people that complain about a c NEVER actually fired one.

12. grecco

grecco

ops...here is the pic.

13. ShipWreck

You will loose velocity. I can't say the percentage either way. But, once again, I had a comped 1911 .45.

Years ago, I shot large steel targets at a range (that has since closed down). On occassion, the comped gun didn't have enough force to knock over some of the targets w/o multiple hits. The non comped 1911 I had never had this problem. So, w/o a scientific way to measure it exactly, I would still say that this was more than the loss of 3%.

But hey, buy whatever gun U want. I wouldn't buy another comped gun. But, knock yourself out if U like them. I only take issue with some ofthe facts being tossed around.

Visit: http://www.handgunforum.net/

14. gunman_23

gunman_23 GOOGLE IT

Actually I have fired a 19C at night along with my G17.
    I had a harder time getting the front sight back on target with the 19C because in my field of vision I had the "v" like flask "burned" onto my vision. And by burned its like those spots you see when a flash goes off.

I had a similar "burn" with my G17, but I could regain the sight picture faster.

I guess its all up to the individual shooter.

Buy what you want. I am just sharing my .02

15. dave27

dave27 Millennium Member

I should have been more specific, that 3% I referenced is what was measured for a 19C vs. a 19. The velocity loss on your comped 1911 may well have been a lot more, they are not directly comparable.

I use +P for CCW anyway, should more than make up for any loss.

16. Josh885

Josh885

If you are in struggle for your weapon and have to shoot some one who is right on top of you chances are you will not even remember to check where the ports are pointed. Or what if you are knocked to the ground on you back and have to shoot an attacker standing over/by your head? In this scenario the ports will be pointed toward your face. Or what if you have to shoot in the confines of a vehicle and or a crossed your body?

There are just too many possible scenarios which could have the ports pointed at a part of your body to consider a ported hand gun for self defense in my opinion.

17. vafish

vafish

If you are in struggle for your weapon and have to shoot some one who is right on top of you chances are you will not even remember to check where the barrel is pointed or if you have any body parts in the way. If you try to jam the gun into them you mostlikely will end up taking your gun out of battery and it won't fire.

The damage from your own bullet hitting you is going to be way worse than the little burn/cutting from the vents.

I don't carry a vented barreled gun for self defense, but I think the supposed disadvantages of them are way overblown.

My carry guns are also my competition guns, ported guns aren't allowed in USPSA/IPSC except in the unlimited division.

I wouldn't go out lookng hard for a C model Glock, but if I found one at a good price I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

18. Boogieman

Boogieman

Most training facilities do not allow ported hand guns in their classes. I was told that not only is it a danger to the shooter but also a danger to the other shooters on the line.

BTW...my 20C is much, much, much louder than my 20.

19. gosnmic

gosnmic Re:member

If you are really concerned about these issues then get a wheel gun. There are a lot fewer parts to (and lower chance to 'go wrong') and there's virtually no way to get a failure to feed.

I also highly suggest reading this informative post by a user of a compensated (ported) model http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=506401 Specifically, observe point #2 regarding close-up shooting (where he says "Finally, numerous tests by myself and many other “C” models owners show that Glock C models can be safely fired as close as 6 inches away from your skin without any harmful singes or burns. Sure you’ll feel a blast of air – but that is not confined to “C” models only. You’ll feel that with ANY pistol.")

I also feel I should point out that this posting also addresses the issues of sound (sound is only 10-15% louder), sight (said to be a non-issue), and reduction of muzzle velocity (3%-5% decrease from non-ported) when using ported glocks. :upeyes:

So do yourself a favor and get informed :soap:

20. donnrcp

donnrcp Deplorable minion

It's going to be a 19C for me. It is not a matter of recoil, it's the advantage of less muzzle rise (even though kids shoot competitively with a 19), the ports are there for those who want to have that edge. Due consideration of the disadvantages are noted.

:outtahere: