Glock 19 or 1911 which to carry ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AWMP, May 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. AWMP

AWMP

Had a long discussion with friends about which would be better to carry concealed. The outcome a draw. Pros and Cons to each. Which one would you carry and why?

2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Own both. Had to carry the 19 (or the 26) for eight years as it was the issue duty weapon.

The day I retired, the 1911 went onto the hip and I've never looked back.

Slimmer, more comfortable, better trigger, better caliber.

3. thingamajig

thingamajig clumsy person

G19 all the way.

The 1911 is too heavy and large, and both the side and grip safeties poke me in soft places.

G19 is nice and smooth on the side and back, shorter overall, and fits in an inside-the-waistband with no fuss.

Frequently, though, I'll just carry a Tomcat in a pocket holster.

4. jlw_84

jlw_84 General Glocker

I've tried both, I'm sticking with the G19.

5. CA_DUDE

CA_DUDE Dude here.

G19 all the way
    I had a 19, got rid of it a year and a half ago. Shouldn't have done that. Super accurate, tight groups. Easy to shoot rapidly. Easy to clean up (and various other reasons). And it Works, works every time, all the time. Had and sold a Kimber custom II. I didn't feel it was reliable enough. Still own a Springfield GI, because I do love 1911's. If I was around back in the day, I most likely would have carried one. But I'm moving to Tennesse, and will carry as soon as I can get a CCW. Thats why I'm buying another 19 tomorrow, because I need something dependable, that I may need to protect my life.

6. thingamajig

thingamajig clumsy person

If you're moving to TN anytime soon, you might want to wait and purchase the G19 there, and save on some of the CA fees, and get two full-capacity magazines with it, instead of the two CA 10-rounders.
    Or, you can give the 10-rounders to me when you leave, as a parting gift ;f

7. CA_DUDE

CA_DUDE Dude here.

Yeah, that was my original plan. But then I don't know how long it would be before I could buy one in TN. I'm sure you need a TN drivers license, and maybe been a resident for a certain amount of time. Besides, I've been kickin my own *** cuz I got rid of the first one. Now I don't know if I should wait or not.

8. Arrowman

Arrowman Dy-no-MITE!!

I carry both.

1911 on the hip from about October through May, then the G19 rides along when the wardrobe shifts to summer mode.

9. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

I own both, and my preference is the G19. Of course, my 1911 is a full-size Kimber (Gold Match), and is a hoot to shoot. But my duty weapon is a Glock, and I qualify with it regularly. So the Glock is second nature to me. Also, when SHTF, it's just "point & shoot". I'm a lefty, so no fumbling with the safety.

10. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Arrowman summed it up for me. Each has pros and cons. The 1911 is slimmer but weighs more, the G19 is lighter when even when fully loaded, but thicker. However, I do find myself carrying the G19 more.

11. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

+1

12. chiz45

chiz45

My 1911 grips must've been different from the ones you guys use. I found the G19 and a Kimber Compact CDP to be almost identical in size. Now that violent crime seems to have evolved into multiple adversary confrontations, i prefer 14+1 to 7+1.

Bottom line is, what do you shoot best? What can you produce from a holster better?

13. Milt Sparks

Milt Sparks Obama Hater

Owned both now only own the Glock 19. The 19 is a lighter pistol and the grip is shorter.

I think for everyday CCW the 19 is the way to go.