Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gen 4 Glock 19 and I recently got a rival arms threaded barrel and a fortis muzzle brake. I installed the muzzle brake and figured I’d give it a shot with your ordinary 115 grain fmj ammo. The gun was jamming (must need +p ammo) but the thing I’m worried about is that on one of my shots my knuckles got hit with shrapnel coming from the barrel, I’ve tried looking up online but have found nothing. Has anyone else ever had something like this happen?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well to get your gun to cycle correctly when using comps you will sometimes need hot ammo or change springs. I assume you know about muzzle breaks and how the work so I’m not explaining why a gun might not cycle when using them. I have a muzzle break on a few of my rifles but I don’t shoot for anything but fun and I don’t find 9mm to need a comp at all.

My 2 Benelli autos don’t cycle at all on weak ammo because the same thing happens. I just always use 3” with over 1 1/8 oz powder and never get issues.

Check your barrel and comp very well for exposed metal if something looks wrong and see if anything looks broken before you shoot again.

FYI get a flame suit because you might catch a little criticism....

I looked at those muzzle brakes and they look like they redirect a lot of exhaust to that’s prob why there isn’t enough power to cycle correctly. What model do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have a Griffin Micro Comp.on an OEM threaded bbl.on one of my G45's.I have only fired AE 124gr.FMJ and HST 124+P through it.No problem with either.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Before anyone can even begin to offer help you're going to need to be much more descriptive of the specific aftermarket parts installed and the malfunctions you're experiencing.

Of note, it looks like Fortis only makes 9mm muzzle brakes for pistol caliber carbines, so my first question would automatically be why you're using a muzzle device that was designed to be used with a long gun - on a glock pistol?

And yes, you should also prepare yourself for questions scrutinizing your need for an aftermarket barrel and muzzle brake on a 9mm Glock pistol, unless you're using it for competition.

·
Banned
328 Posts
You'll need a lighter recoil spring and more trial and error with your ammo. No one will
IMG_20180821_172426_768.jpg
tell you exactly what you need, every gun is different. Some of my comped guns needed 13lb spring, some needed a 15 lb spring and some shot fine with the OEM spring.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I had gotten a muzzle break that did not go onto a threaded barrel. It had a proprietary guide rod and spring. It worked on my Glock 19 and 17 without issues with lighter weight, higher velocity 115 gr as opposed to subsonic 147 gr.

With my experience of using suppressors, the added weight on the slide, and the lower velocity ammunition, required me using lighter recoil springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You have to push more gas through there.

Personally making my own loads I found a much heavier bullet with a medium pistol powder worked best against an 11lb recoil spring.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I wonder if the BRAKE (not Break) is aligned with the bore properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the info, what will happen if I put a recoil spring in that is to light though? And just to be clear, I don’t need the reduced recoil I just like the looks of the muzzle brake

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thank you all for the info, what will happen if I put a recoil spring in that is to light though? And just to be clear, I don’t need the reduced recoil I just like the looks of the muzzle brake
That's why I bought multiple springs. If you're not going to reload, then simply start high, and keep testing the next lower spring until you get it working reliably.

Or, if you reload, choose the spring you want, and then make multiple test loads on the low side and bump them up in 0.2gn increments upwards until you get it working.

The Comp, Spring Combo, Bullet Weight/Type, and powder type/load are all going to be unique to your combination of parts. Thats why it's best if you reload, you can dial it in perfectly. With factory ammo you'll probably have a margin of grace that you will have to live with.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got a KKM barrel and their comp, no failures to load, extract or gas or metal fragments. It's quality goods and designed for a G19. Not cheap, but buy once, cry once. Accuracy is surperb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts