close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 jamming

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mountaincur, Sep 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Mountaincur

Mountaincur

I have a Glock 19. Today it started jamming every 4 to 6 rounds with different mags and different ammo. What do you all think? This gun has been OK in the past and is maintained. If this was your gun what would you do? These are straight failures to extract/eject. Me no likey.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. fignewton

fignewton

have you checked the extractor?

3. Mountaincur

Mountaincur

The extractor looks OK. When I carried Smith auto pistols the extractors would sometimes chip. It was obvious because a piece of the extractor was gone. This one looks OK. Maybe a little rounded at the bottom corner. Here is my delima. There is no real gunsmithing around here. I guess I could send the gun back to Glock. It is a 2nd gen gun and probably needs some other updates from what I have heard but I don't know. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

What's the brass that it does spit out look like? Is it bent, scratched or scared?

You might try disassembling the slide and cleaning the area out with a cleaner.

I've used spray CRC Brakleen brake cleaner with good results. After you remove the striker, extractor, plunger and springs, spray the cleaner in the holes and let it drip out. Repeat 'till clean.

After it's dry, re-aasemble. Don't add any lubricants as they will attract grunge.

Dave

5. hankhan

hankhan Guest

I'd clean it - take the slide apart, check the chamber to make sure there isn't something in it that the case could be hanging up on.

6. nicfit212

nicfit212 Exiled Urbanite

I had this problem just from accumulated gunk under the extractor hook.

7. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

DO NOT send it back!

Too easy to fix... I would follow the advice given, possibly do a complete "upper" strip and cleaning.

If you are not comfortable with this process, and you own only 1 other Glock, get ahold of Lone Wolf and pickup the Ptooma Glock Reference Guide - BEST $$$ YOU HAVE SPENT ON YOUR GLOCK(S)

You should be able to order and change out your own extractor... and troubleshoot ejector issues too.

Drop the $30 (perhaps with shipping) on the Ptooma Glock Guide and you should be able to git er done.

HTH

PS - Great Pics! Nice camera, excellent macro photography!

8. N3AUA

N3AUA

9. Terminal Event

Terminal Event

My G19 started doing exactly the same thing. Never saw another Glock do this, except the G19. heard an unverified report that NYPD has observed the same problem with their G19's. I will replace extractor, but the old one looks OK. If that doesn't fix it, I'll trade it for another one.

10. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

You need to check both the extractor and the extractor depressor plunger assembly. A detail strip of the slide is in order. Use some degreaser to clean these parts thoroughly, then reinstall and retest. Pay particular attention to the underside of the extractor claw while removed. Chips can be difficult to see while still installed in the gun. A chip is even more likely if a round has ever been loaded from the breech by you or anyone else who has handled the gun.

11. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

Maybe change the recoil spring also. But deffinatly the extractor. Is it possible for the firing pin to hit even though the slide may not be completely forward because of an old recoil spring not having enough energy to put the gun into full battery?

12. verglockster

verglockster

13. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I'd suggest replacing the extractor. It doesn't look like the one in my 19.

Mine is the 3d gen and has the notch on the exterior but it's different at the hook.

I know the difference because I detail stripped my 19 last weekend. Mine has a little lip under the extractor hook. I don't know if lip is the best word but it was packed with crud and I had to really scrub it out.

I'd also look at the extractor spring/plunger assembly and replace all those components as well. I think CDNN sells them as part of an upgrade package or perhaps even separately.

Since yours is gen 2, I think an upgrade will make a differnce but I am absolutely certain your extractor is different than mine.

UPDATE:

Is it a 2d gen? The reason I'm asking is that I only see a single frame pin; not two that you'd expect on a 2d gen. I could be wrong so if others have better insight I too would like to know.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Was the same shooter shooting the gun that it has worked for 100% in the past? If not, the problem was limpwristing, not the gun.

If it was the same shooter, was the shooter shooting it a different way than before when it worked 100%? If so, the problem was limpwristing, not the gun.

Was the shooter using a different recoil spring or lower powered ammo than before? If so, the problem was limpwristing, not the gun.

When you start having this type of problem with a glock, the problem is overwhelmingly limpwristing and I have seen it a lot more with the G19. I went to the range with my wife and 2 friends with a G19 that been 100% for me for 10-12 years - none of the other 3 could fire 3 rounds without a malfunction in the extracting/ejecting/feeding range.

I'm surprised that Glock shooters would start by looking for a bad part.

15. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Actually having looked more closely at the pics, I believe you are the owner of the older, 90 degree breech. Unless Glock has discontinued the practice lately, I seem to remember (been awhile since I've discusssed this topic) that you can send in the slide and they will cut it to 15 degrees and replace associated parts (not the least of which is the extractor) for free in addition to checking out the gun in it's entirety while in their possession. I'm not saying that the older breech cut is the problem by any means so don't get me wrong. Many people have decided not to do said upgrade using the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Although I'm still of the opinion that you could likely fix it by either doing some detailed cleaning of parts already mentioned or perhaps a low cost parts changeout or other, I thought I'd throw this on the table as another possible option. If you verify that you do in fact have the 90 degree breech and if you are interested, call Glock to see if they are still offering this to their customers. Check the diagram below and compare to what you have.

G4L

[​IMG]